iOS Favicons

limegorilla

Okay so seeing as I use the Forum from my phone a lot, I keep it on my homepage on my iPhone. For some reason the Favicon hasn’t been set to download when you ‘install’ the webpage as a WebApp, so Safari just screen grabs the page.

It would be really nice if we could just add the icon there so it looks nicer.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone.

Screenshot 2019-12-05 at 12.39.23 am.png

Edited by limegorilla
Added Photo and changed capitalisation

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

Yes it would be nice, but you cant. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

15 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes it would be nice, but you cant. 

Why not?

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

17 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

Why not?

Probably forum side. iOS grabs favicons normally. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Probably forum side. iOS grabs favicons normally. 

Yeah but all it would need is a line of HTML and a manifest.json file to tell it the name. So as that has no affect on the forum whatsoever I don’t understand how it can’t be done

Bow down to me humans.

20 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

Yeah but all it would need is a line of HTML and a manifest.json file to tell it the name. So as that has no affect on the forum whatsoever I don’t understand how it can’t be done

It can be done, just nothing on the end user side. iOS can’t set the name or set the icon of a webapp on the home screen. 

13 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It can be done, just nothing on the end user side. iOS can’t set the name or set the icon of a webapp on the home screen. 

That’s what I mean - can we add that to the Forum

Bow down to me humans.

6 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

They used to work, but it looks like they got changed by a recent forum update. I will try to get that sorted.

Thank you!

Bow down to me humans.

The thing is, it works fine for me on desktop, which implies the presence of multiple different icons handled in different ways for different platforms... please tell me this isn't the case lol or at least tell me there's some very good, very non-obvious reason for it

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The thing is, it works fine for me on desktop, which implies the presence of multiple different icons handled in different ways for different platforms... please tell me this isn't the case lol or at least tell me there's some very good, very non-obvious reason for it

The favicon (tab bar icon) works, but there are a bunch of extra icons that need to be generated for other special cases - these are the ones that the forum can generate automatically from an image:

Screenshot from 2019-12-08 21-20-06.png

but there are a few more still that require special attention.

HTTP/2 203

8 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The favicon (tab bar icon) works, but there are a bunch of extra icons that need to be generated for other special cases - these are the ones that the forum can generate automatically from an image:

but there are a few more still that require special attention.

oh god why lol

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh god why lol

You need specific ones for both Android & iOS - and having different sizes is a good idea too. It's convoluted and complicated for no good reason.

Bow down to me humans.

7 hours ago, limegorilla said:

You need specific ones for both Android & iOS - and having different sizes is a good idea too. It's convoluted and complicated for no good reason.

I get the size differences, many icon systems do this and for good reason - the best 16x16 icon is likely not the same as a 256x256 one scaled down, both for design and technical reasons, but whenever a size is not provided it should automatically fill in using any other sizes available.  Having different icons for different platforms seems completely unnecessary though, yes.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have an iOS device to verify this with, but I think that this should have been fixed along with the favicon change.

HTTP/2 203