Do you use a 60% Keyboard

Thenelwave

Do you game with a normal keyboard or a 60% keyboard?

Do you find it easy to play shooters, rpg's and other games you play with keyboards like Ducky 60%?

If you had to choose between these two KB which would you go with and why?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/RGB-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboards/K70-RGB-RAPIDFIRE-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-—-CHERRY®-MX-Speed-RGB/p/CH-9101014-NA

Or the new

https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/keyboards/alloy-fps-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard

If you would go with neither which would you go with or currently using?

I personally prefer smaller keyboards, but can't find any with a good switch and key stabilization cheaply.

Currently using a Razer Ornata Chroma. Very good to type on, but I MUCH prefer 60%

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

6 minutes ago, SenKa said:

I personally prefer smaller keyboards, but can't find any with a good switch and key stabilization cheaply.

Currently using a Razer Ornata Chroma. Very good to type on, but I MUCH prefer 60%

Nice!! I want a 60% keyboard and just wanted to make sure other played games like COD and Apex with them

Just now, Thenelwave said:

Nice!! I want a 60% keyboard and just wanted to make sure other played games like COD and Apex with them

Yeah, you won't have an issue. The only time you might is if you're one of those masochists who play MOBA's with keyboard binds instead of mouse.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I made my own 65% keyboard. Works well most of the time but games that use the function keys aren't always the easiest to play, even with rebinding.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I had to look up what a 60% keyboard is as I haven't heard that term used before. So it is one missing both the number pad and cursor key area. I currently use a TKL, only missing the number pad since I rarely need it for gaming. It is a bit annoying not having it for entering a lot of numbers but I do it rarely enough. The cursor key area is essential for me though. I've debated added a separate number pad to the left of the keyboard.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I used a 75% keyboard for a long time and absolutely loved it.

It's not much bigger than a 60% but you get basically every key that a TKL has.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

No, I don't. I have been considering a 40%-65% keyboard, but this keyboard still works fine, so I haven't. I never use the arrow keys in game, and the function keys aren't really necessary either, at least for the games I play.

32 minutes ago, Thenelwave said:

If you had to choose between these two KB which would you go with and why?

Neither. For those prices, I would rather get a half decent keyboard. Exactly what, would depend on where you're buying from, and what the budget is.

:)

21 minutes ago, Thenelwave said:

Well do you use any of the keys missing on a 60% keyboard when you play games? Thats all you need to know. personally i cant think of a reason youd need them for those games (or most games tbh) but thats up to the user.

I plan on getting a 60% because most of the right side of my keyboard is useless to me.

4 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

useless to me

i have become accustomed to using 60% due to laptops, so i would have gone for 60% as well

also i agree, usually the keys you need are the ones in close proximity to WASD to play games especially a fast paced game like apex 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

If I only gamed on my machines I probably would for the space saving which is appealing, but I can't currently survive without a full size board.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Nobody needs smaller than TKL or 60% for that matter. I mean seriously find me one person who doesn't use escape, function row, nav cluster, arrow keys, or the numpad. 

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

51 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Nobody needs smaller than TKL or 60% for that matter. I mean seriously find me one person who doesn't use escape, function row, nav cluster, arrow keys, or the numpad. 

Tbh only a hand full of times do i need any of those. I never use the arrow keys, num pad, or nav cluster. 

Esc and the function keys i do need though. 

I find that the full length keyboards are to nice, I couldn't do without my number pad.

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

No, I don't. I have been considering a 40%-65% keyboard, but this keyboard still works fine, so I haven't. I never use the arrow keys in game, and the function keys aren't really necessary either, at least for the games I play.

Neither. For those prices, I would rather get a half decent keyboard. Exactly what, would depend on where you're buying from, and what the budget is.

assuming there is no budget .. what is the ideal keyboard for you? Link please

1 hour ago, Thenelwave said:

assuming there is no budget .. what is the ideal keyboard for you? Link please

Well, you can always find a place to buy a block of solid titanium, someone to design a keyboard exactly to your preferences, someone to machine the titanium etc... If I had unlimited money, then that, for sure. But I'm assuming you'll want something that's already on the market. 

Many seem to like Rama's keyboards, which you can buy here. 

https://ramaworks.store/products/m65-b

Then just add a nice set of keycaps, probably Zeal stabilisers, and switches of your choice. It's a 65%, though. 

Round 5 for the Fjell is supposed to happen at some point, but for now, Mekanisk only has the Klippe S. 

https://mekanisk.co/collections/klippes/products/klippe-sandwhich-mechanical-keyboard-kit

KBDFans has several lower priced options, if you want that. 

:)

7 hours ago, geo3 said:

Do I use 60%? I guess you could say that.

IMG_20191005_191757.thumb.jpg.c22542f80d1eb176bfa2afe3888f023a.jpgIMG_20191005_191931.thumb.jpg.ed5b835b4bc0611d07a83f8363d8ce74.jpgIMG_20190923_231320.thumb.jpg.2515c5dd9bbe89172dad79e0b93a3eae.jpg

Love it ! What are your two favorite 60% keyboards? Im considering Ducky 2 One Mini.

Also do you play FPS or any other games with those with no issues?

last question is if you do game with them what switches do you prefer and why?

6 hours ago, Thenelwave said:

Love it ! What are your two favorite 60% keyboards? Im considering Ducky 2 One Mini.

Also do you play FPS or any other games with those with no issues?

last question is if you do game with them what switches do you prefer and why?

The Ducky is a good entry board, though I prefer the more premium feel of customs. It should be good for you if you're not too picky about feel or ultimate customizeability. 

I do occasionally play FPS, but I mainly play Starcraft and never felt a lack of keys. I did so some remapping in Starcraft though as it has some stuff on the F-row

I use Zealios V2 switches for their smoothness, tactility. Though a couple of the boards shown here use linear Gateron Inks.