Need more ram, + Anything else you can suggest

TheNuzziNuzz

My build: 

Been slowly upgrading this system since I was a young kid. For the last two years i've primarily used it to produce music, youtube, and program with occasional gamming, 1080p video edditing (adobe), & photoshop.

Recently my ram usage has been a little high with everything I'm doing and I'm even running low on storage space. It seems ram prices have dropped since I bought my current 16gb for $160 back when I upgraded from haswell (Woah, has it really been that long?)

Been out of touch with the tech space since I've been focused on my career so I would love your guy's thoughts. I could probably get away with just another 8gb of ram, and for some of the $25 options I've seen around its a no-brainer for me. As for the storage, Ill probably just get another 1tb 860 evo. Thanks for the thoughts guys, glad to see the community is still going strong after all these years. :)

Computers r fun

I would go with the cheapest 16 gb kit you can find. Often memory comes in 4,8,16,32,64... etc as these are the sizes that properly utilize memory channels for your system. While there is nothing wrong with adding 8gb to go to 24gb, you may find better and more stable performance going to the next scalable size of 32 rather than the awkward 24.

39 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Hello,

I don't know what your budget is but 16Gb of rams is plenty still, though the clock is low (3000MHz-3200MHz is perferable).

You could change for a better GPU like the 5700XT or a 2070S.

I don't know that PSU brand so I'd suggest something different like TXm, Rmx, Capstone, Formula Gold or Whisper M.

A fancy 1400p 144Hz monitor :D 

42 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I could probably get away with just another 8gb of ram, and for some of the $25 options I've seen around its a no-brainer for me. As for the storage

get another pair of LPX ram this black friday, get the 2x8 3000+mhz ones.

yes you will be limited to slower ram, but ram price have come down so much and you split rams to newer builds in future.

11 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

get another pair of LPX ram this black friday, get the 2x8 3000+mhz ones.

yes you will be limited to slower ram, but ram price have come down so much and you split rams to newer builds in future.

11 hours ago, Maximusfoximus said:

I would go with the cheapest 16 gb kit you can find. Often memory comes in 4,8,16,32,64... etc as these are the sizes that properly utilize memory channels for your system. While there is nothing wrong with adding 8gb to go to 24gb, you may find better and more stable performance going to the next scalable size of 32 rather than the awkward 24.

11 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

I don't know what your budget is but 16Gb of rams is plenty still, though the clock is low (3000MHz-3200MHz is perferable).

You could change for a better GPU like the 5700XT or a 2070S.

I don't know that PSU brand so I'd suggest something different like TXm, Rmx, Capstone, Formula Gold or Whisper M.

A fancy 1400p 144Hz monitor :D 

So what exactly is a low vs high clock? I heard RAM speed doesn't really effect Intel as it is a huge deal for Ryzen? Is it really worth the extra money? If yall think somehting faster is really worth it I could always get 2x8gb at faster speed for total 32gb ram and get the performance benefits as well as just some extra ram? If not ill probably stick to the cheaper side, like I said $25 for an extra 8gb is a no brainer to me but I'd consider a bigger purchase closer to $100 if it was really worth the practical benefits in my use case.

Computers r fun

12 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

My build: 

Been slowly upgrading this system since I was a young kid. For the last two years i've primarily used it to produce music, youtube, and program with occasional gamming, 1080p video edditing (adobe), & photoshop.

Recently my ram usage has been a little high with everything I'm doing and I'm even running low on storage space. It seems ram prices have dropped since I bought my current 16gb for $160 back when I upgraded from haswell (Woah, has it really been that long?)

Been out of touch with the tech space since I've been focused on my career so I would love your guy's thoughts. I could probably get away with just another 8gb of ram, and for some of the $25 options I've seen around its a no-brainer for me. As for the storage, Ill probably just get another 1tb 860 evo. Thanks for the thoughts guys, glad to see the community is still going strong after all these years. :)

You can upgrade to 32GB or 64GB, however remember that the system will only operate at the speed of the slowest memory module, which is why you're supposed to install RAM in matched pairs. I haven't had too many experiences where unmatched pairs operate poorly, but then again, usually the symptom of unmatched pairs is that the latency on one is worse than the other so the performance drops to that of the slowest, usually cheapest, module.

If you want to try and make the leap to 64GB, you can get 4x16GB modules for that CPU. Otherwise try to buy a matching set (same model/brand) for the RAM you have, or at least the same chips (eg micron, samsung, hynix, etc.)

To be honest that graphics card warrants an upgrade more than those sticks of RAM. See if you can overclock them first.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

26 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

So what exactly is a low vs high clock? I heard RAM speed doesn't really effect Intel as it is a huge deal for Ryzen? Is it really worth the extra money? If yall think somehting faster is really worth it I could always get 2x8gb at faster speed for total 32gb ram and get the performance benefits as well as just some extra ram? If not ill probably stick to the cheaper side, like I said $25 for an extra 8gb is a no brainer to me but I'd consider a bigger purchase closer to $100 if it was really worth the practical benefits in my use case.

In my experience, unless your on Ryzen or overcooking, memory speed really doesn’t matter so I wouldn’t concern yourself with that too much. I would however get the 16gb kit instead of the 8gb for stability reasons. Your kind of in luck since it’s Black Friday right now and amazon is having a killer deal on a 16gb kit at $57 for 16gb 3000mhz. However if you do a bit more digging I bet you can find something even cheaper at a lower speed.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0134EW7G8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_JvS3DbKW7TGMH

10 hours ago, Kisai said:

You can upgrade to 32GB or 64GB, however remember that the system will only operate at the speed of the slowest memory module, which is why you're supposed to install RAM in matched pairs. I haven't had too many experiences where unmatched pairs operate poorly, but then again, usually the symptom of unmatched pairs is that the latency on one is worse than the other so the performance drops to that of the slowest, usually cheapest, module.

If you want to try and make the leap to 64GB, you can get 4x16GB modules for that CPU. Otherwise try to buy a matching set (same model/brand) for the RAM you have, or at least the same chips (eg micron, samsung, hynix, etc.)

Yeah, i'm simply not seeing the benefit in throwing that much money down. I'm not needing that much ram, but an addition 8gb at least would probably be plenty to make my life a little better.

10 hours ago, williamcll said:

To be honest that graphics card warrants an upgrade more than those sticks of RAM. See if you can overclock them first.

Agreed but like I said I don't really play games so It wouldn't be financially wise given my current gpu is equivalent to say an RX 470 (thats what was new when I last researched this stuff). Honestly I would love RTX but right now its just a dream given my focus on my music career.

10 hours ago, Maximusfoximus said:

In my experience, unless your on Ryzen or overcooking, memory speed really doesn’t matter so I wouldn’t concern yourself with that too much. I would however get the 16gb kit instead of the 8gb for stability reasons. Your kind of in luck since it’s Black Friday right now and amazon is having a killer deal on a 16gb kit at $57 for 16gb 3000mhz. However if you do a bit more digging I bet you can find something even cheaper at a lower speed.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0134EW7G8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_JvS3DbKW7TGMH

That link looks awesome, and yeah perfect timing with black friday. The linked ram is a little different then what I have. Here is the original post I bought from:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S51XHUQ/

Absolutely crazy, It cost me $170 back in April 2018. Been almost two years since I made that upgrade. I remember now, i spent the extra $ for the 14 CAS version.

Computers r fun