In a bit of a pickle come January

Eddyall_

So to make a long story short, I have been planning a computer upgrade for early next year due to Windows 7 shutting down on support. Thing is I was remembering the wrong date and the shutdown is coming 3 months sooner then I expected :/
Now I'm pretty much the guy Linus described in his "What Happens When Windows 7 DIES?" video. I draw the line at an OS that is designed from the ground up to spy on me on an ethic standpoint and has a totally useless search that makes use of Bing on a productivity standpoint. Also not getting forced update, that's nice on the productivity standpoint too.

Now my plan was effectivly to do the thing Linus didn't expect anyone reasonable to do, keep away from the internet. Thing is, I'm not a master, I don't know everything but also I don't want to limit my hardware choice too bad. Maybe there's software that came out (miraculously) to fix my issue with Windows 10, maybe Linux is perfectly fine for a gaming machine now because of something I'm not aware, maybe I want to install an Intel Optane module on my Steam Library to boost load time or play an MMO (KUF II!) and stream it.

So I'm coming here for input, what are the options, suggestion and feedback? My point is I want to feel like I'm upgrading if I'm spending 100s to 1ks of $ on a new build, not a downgrade. Main question are I have ATM

-Any miracle happen that would make me consider W10 if my standard is W7?

-I know Optane isn't supported on W7, is it maybe supported on most Linux distros?

-How bad would it actually be to keep the internet connected to my machine if I only use thing such as Steam and Discord, no web browser?

Detail of current build and planned update just to keep clean

Spoiler

Current build is an i5-2500k with 16GB of RAM and a GTX 1660 Ti, previously a GTX 570 I still have. Been using 2 HDD in RAID 0 for a couple year now as boot drive.

Plan was to:
For the new gaming build get something on the latest generation of Intel consumer side, use the 1660 Ti I got last spring, get a SSD as a boot drive and use an Optane module to accelerate a couple Raid 0 HHD. Keep on Windows 7 and only use the internet solely to access Steam. To use the browse like a normal person, I'd use a virtual machine to run it on the server.

For the server, reuse the current system, fill the RAM slot with 2 more stick if needed and add a RAID card and use Unraid "non raid" to recycle current HDDs and assume those will be the first to die. Pop in the GTX 570 if I have a use for a dedicated GPU.

Looking for a software solution first, since it's kinda the limiting factor here.

6 minutes ago, Eddyall_ said:

I draw the line at an OS that is designed from the ground up to spy on me on an ethic standpoint

windows 10 is out of the question, you have to look at linux

or keep w7

you can close down a lot of w10 spy stuff

steam wouldnt be bad still using w7

Go Linux if you don't want spyware. 

Only miracle would be if Microsoft is visited by the ghost of the Christmas past and reform its evil ways. 

Linux support Optane.

You can have internet without a browser. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 11/20/2019 at 9:36 PM, Eddyall_ said:

So I'm coming here for input,

I mean Linux can do gaming. BUT you have to make sure the games you want to play are compatbile. There are some ways of using WINE to make more games compatible, but that requires a bit of work. The only issue I have with Linux, is you kinda gotta do a bit more research. When I build my machine recently I found out I needed Kernel 3.5 to get my 5700 GPU to work. Im running the LTS version of Ubuntu. Guess what? It doesnt use Kernel 3.5. So I had to figure out how to upgrade the Kernel. It ended up being easy ish, BUT the Kernels after 3.5 seem to have stability issues with my setup. So I had to work thru those issues as well. Linux lets you swtich between installed Kernels easily. 

Some advice I was given with Linux. When it comes to using NEW hardware is advisable to use the latest release and not the LTS version. Im waiting for Kernel 3.5 as I heard its going to have some good improvments and then Ill move to the most recent release. 

I myself have played mainly Open TTD, though a few of my favorits like Stardew valley, terrieria and Minecraft also work on Linux. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I often wonder if they haven't added all the same Win 10 telemetry and "spying" into Windows 7 and 8.1 by now with updates anyway, making the resistance to switch sort of a moot point.  I have heard it was done but of course you can't confirm that necessarily.  If you're concerned enough about Windows 10 to completely avoid it based on about as much information though, then perhaps Linux is the best option.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I mean Linux can do gaming. BUT you have to make sure the games you want to play are compatbile. There are some ways of using WINE to make more games compatible, but that requires a bit of work. The only issue I have with Linux, is you kinda gotta do a bit more research. When I build my machine recently I found out I needed Kernel 3.5 to get my 5700 GPU to work. Im running the LTS version of Ubuntu. Guess what? It doesnt use Kernel 3.5. So I had to figure out how to upgrade the Kernel. It ended up being easy ish, BUT the Kernels after 3.5 seem to have stability issues with my setup. So I had to work thru those issues as well. Linux lets you swtich between installed Kernels easily. 

Some advice I was given with Linux. When it comes to using NEW hardware is advisable to use the latest release and not the LTS version. Im waiting for Kernel 3.5 as I heard its going to have some good improvments and then Ill move to the most recent release. 

I myself have played mainly Open TTD, though a few of my favorits like Stardew valley, terrieria and Minecraft also work on Linux. 

3.5 is real old... Like decade old. What distro you using? Running a 3.5 kernel is like running a copy of windows XP. current kernel version is already 5.x something. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, wasab said:

5.x something. 

I mixed the numbers up I ment 5.3. 

12 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I often wonder if they haven't added all the same Win 10 telemetry and "spying" into Windows 7 and 8.1 by now with updates anyway, making the resistance to switch sort of a moot point.  I have heard it was done but of course you can't confirm that necessarily.  If you're concerned enough about Windows 10 to completely avoid it based on about as much information though, then perhaps Linux is the best option.

They've been backporting telemetry in updates for a few years now for 7 and 8, starting in 2017: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/11/blocking-telemetry-in-windows-7-and-8-1/

New updates expanding it have been happening on a regular basis, I think the latest update was in July of this year. That said, trying to explain this to people insistent on staying on 7 or 8 is rather pointless as they're dug in. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

on 7 or 8 is rather pointless as they're dug in. 

There is also the point that Windows 10 updates tend to have issues. Especially creators updates. I think older hardware is more susceptible to this. I had nothing but issues on my old gaming rig. To the point I moved to Linux. 

To be honest the telemetry bothers me less. Because Google does the same shit. I still use Google. 

The end of W7 support isnt some doomsday event.

So long as u exercise at least some common sense (not so common anymore) when using the internet u should be perfectly fine using W7.

Anecdotal as it is, my W7 is far from up to date, purposefully to avoid performance degrading updates and even some of the updates that came to W7 after W10 released which added some of W10's data collecting 'spyware'. Yet I've never had issue with malicious software. basic common sense usage stops the vast majority of such issues arising.

And hey, if something does happen, format and start over, doesnt take long, in fact is easier and works better in most cases than trying to 'fix' a compromised system.

If ur system holds important information, pictures and the like, make sure u back them up onto a separate system / storage device. that way u dont have to worry if something does happen.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

The end of W7 support isnt some doomsday event.

So long as u exercise at least some common sense (not so common anymore) when using the internet u should be perfectly fine using W7.

I would strongly discourage this mentality and this method of use.  This is the exact thing that led to the wannacry outbreak a little while back.  It was so widespread it's easy to forget and assume that it was taking advantage of some unknown vulnerability, but no, it had been patched, and as a result spread only through un-updated systems, including current ones that were behind, as well as abandoned ones like XP that did not get patches anymore.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

One thing I want to point out is I'm not insane. Does Microsoft rolled back a bunch of stuff to gather data on old version, shrug. At this point you can avoid it, my mentality however is I have a choice to vote with my wallet. Microsoft doesn't have a privacy policy I agree with bye. Data gathering stuff is installed without consent/forced, that's wrong. Small difference, but difference to me.

And I agree with Ryan, while January 14 doesn't equal my computer blow up it doesn't mean it's a good idea to stick to W7. For a few months while waiting for new generation/price drop, be smart and I'll be fine sure. Long term, I'll need something else.

As for game, I play a lot of stuff. Main I'd say are modded Bethesda game, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Witcher/Cyberpunk, Stellaris, the list goes on but those are the main ones I'd be wanting to make sure I can play. Now Kingdom Under Fire II that's one I'd be curious to know if it could work but I'd expect a virtual machine to be the "best/most likely" way.

Edit: Also actually another point that's worth to be said. Free vs paying, Google at least has the decency to not make me pay to be a product. It's not that much better but it deserved to be said IMO.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:00 PM, Eddyall_ said:

Also actually another point that's worth to be said. Free vs paying, Google at least has the decency to not make me pay to be a product. It's not that much better but it deserved to be said IMO.

Windows 10 upgrades are still free. They likely will always be due to it not being a viable revenue source for Microsoft's new business model.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:00 PM, Eddyall_ said:

As for game, I play a lot of stuff. Main I'd say are modded Bethesda game, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Witcher/Cyberpunk, Stellaris, the list goes on but those are the main ones I'd be wanting to make sure I can play. Now Kingdom Under Fire II that's one I'd be curious to know if it could work but I'd expect a virtual machine to be the "best/most likely" way.

I wouldn't expect to play anything intensive at all on a VM. GPU passthrough is still a very difficult thing to get working and just running games in a stock VM can make my 2080ti perform about on par with intel onboard graphics.

I'm all for Linux, don't get me wrong. I'd give it a good testing now to keep your expectations in check though.

28 minutes ago, lloose said:

I wouldn't expect to play anything intensive at all on a VM. GPU passthrough is still a very difficult thing to get working and just running games in a stock VM can make my 2080ti perform about on par with intel onboard graphics.

I'd second that it's hard, perhaps even simply not an option for many people, and imo this is the real issue.  When it does work though, it's nearly native, LTT has shown this on many occasions.

How does Windows 10 spy on people? Didn't the EU enforce laws to prevent spying without the user knowing?

52 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

How does Windows 10 spy on people? Didn't the EU enforce laws to prevent spying without the user knowing?

Microsoft stores just about everything you do on your pc. The more Microsoft apps you have, the more it gathers. When you limit it, it just takes away your personal data basically, but they have the right to retrieve it at anytime regardless. You agree to these terms when you install windows. So if your running Windows 10, you agreed to let it happen. I believe its been part of there terms since Windows Vista, just data collection in Windows Vista and 7 was so minimal compared to Windows 10 today.