When Will Cds Die?

Snickerzz

With things like itunes, steam, netflix, hulu, and games on demand (xbox, not sure for ps3) the only reason I see CDs being needed is for drivers and OSes but with those I could also see flash drives being used instead because they can't get destroyed like CDs.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I think at the rate of advancement in storage tech CDs will no longer be a viable or recommended medium of storage in around 2.5 years.

It wasn't long ago that we were all using 100GB IDE HDDs Now there's SSDs with 10 times the storage capacity. SSDs, HDDs and USB flash is coming down in price so dramatically it's getting to the point where it's almost laughable. You could, just buy a whole bunch of HDDs and label them like you used to with video tapes.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Its already normal for laptops & computers to come with no cdroms in New Zealand. Some occasionally have a dvd/bluray player but even those are few. 

We really only have 1 game retailer here (EB Games), because there is just no market, also a huge decline in cd shops  - most people just look to iTunes or Spotify here . 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Its already normal for laptops & computers to come with no cdroms in New Zealand. Some occasionally have a dvd/bluray player but even those are few.

We really only have 1 game retailer here (EB Games), because there is just no market, also a huge decline in cd shops - most people just look to iTunes or Spotify here .

I think part of it is because every company wants to say there laptops the thinests, removing the dvd drive takes a large bulk out and it and weight aswell

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

huge decline in cd shops  - most people just look to iTunes or Spotify here . 

Exact same in Scotland. There's simply nobody buying CDs anymore. All of the people that do, have either ripped their CDs to a PC and added it to itunes or equivalent or have all the CDs they'd ever want and are fine with letting the medium die. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

They'll die when we stop selling CD players or CD burners 

while (true) {

live();

}

They'll die when we stop selling CD players or CD burners 

They're all being phased out here

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I use cd's occasionally to install games as i only have 100gb quota and downloading a 15gb game once or twice a month is gonna push me over. So if i see a game i want at EB for a simalar price to what it is on steam then i'll get the hard copy.

I do want them to die fairly soon though, i can always upgrade my internet plan, though music is a big problem.

Cd's have a far higher quality audio file on them compared to the standard mp3 compression, so if they died i'm sure the Audiofiles would be a little unhappy for a while, then they'd get over it because you can still buy music online in cd quality. So it would probably become archaic but still supported ;) 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I use cd's occasionally to install games as i only have 100gb quota and downloading a 15gb game once or twice a month is gonna push me over. So if i see a game i want at EB for a simalar price to what it is on steam then i'll get the hard copy.

I do want them to die fairly soon though, i can always upgrade my internet plan, though music is a big problem.

Cd's have a far higher quality audio file on them compared to the standard mp3 compression, so if they died i'm sure the Audiofiles would be a little unhappy for a while, then they'd get over it because you can still buy music online in cd quality. So it would probably become archaic but still supported ;)

Wow, I didnt even think about download caps >_< but still, I feel like things that would need to be a hard copy should just come on a flash drive, everyone has a usb port, and notebook users would be happy to :) and no more worry over scratched CDs

I am starting to phase out DVD's, slowly ripping the good ones and then placing them on eBay.  I am evil.

I am starting to phase out DVD's, slowly ripping the good ones and then placing them on eBay.  I am evil.

thats illegal not evil XDD

Selling shitty dvd's on ebay, maybe a little bit evil xD

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

hopefully 2 years but very possibly as long as 5 years.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

also flashdrives are still a little to expensive compared to cds. even though you can use flash drives much more

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

thats illegal not evil XDD

Selling shitty dvd's on ebay, maybe a little bit evil xD

Oh no, its pure evil.  And hey, they are not shitty they are perfect store bought DVD's that I am selling for $2 each.  I just want the space they take up back!

Oh no, its pure evil.  And hey, they are not shitty they are perfect store bought DVD's that I am selling for $2 each.  I just want the space they take up back!

how many do you have? they can't be taking up that much space XD and theres always Good Will

CD's will go away when they need to.

they needed to about a year ago XD

they needed to about a year ago XD

For what reason? Are you using CD's as a reference to all optical media, or just the real "CD"? Optical media will continue to be relevant for another decade.

For all optical media, they are unreliable, slow read/write speeds, low amount of data can be stored on them. I just find them annoying but they are still helpful for people with internet caps, driver CDs, OS CDs ect 

For all optical media, they are unreliable, slow read/write speeds, low amount of data can be stored on them. I just find them annoying but they are still helpful for people with internet caps, driver CDs, OS CDs ect 

Unreliable in what sense? Low amount of data? Are you talking about CDs? DVDs? Blu-Ray? CDs are low storage amount, but DVDs going up to 8GB-9GB is pretty good and Blu-Rays is up to 50GB. That is pretty awesome if you need a permanent copy to keep somewhere safe; like pictures, documents, taxes, etc.

I personally love my music CDs and hate online stores to purchase digital music from. Same thing with movies. Everything online nowadays has some sort of DRM behind it, especially movies, but if I go buy a DVD all I need is a DVD player and I'm good to go. I can just rip my music in whatever format I want, but online stores like iTunes like to have their music in one format and in one bitrate only. Very annoying.

Unreliable in what sense? Low amount of data? Are you talking about CDs? DVDs? Blu-Ray? CDs are low storage amount, but DVDs going up to 8GB-9GB is pretty good and Blu-Rays is up to 50GB. That is pretty awesome if you need a permanent copy to keep somewhere safe; like pictures, documents, taxes, etc.

I personally love my music CDs and hate online stores to purchase digital music from. Same thing with movies. Everything online nowadays has some sort of DRM behind it, especially movies, but if I go buy a DVD all I need is a DVD player and I'm good to go. I can just rip my music in whatever format I want, but online stores like iTunes like to have their music in one format and in one bitrate only. Very annoying.

Unreliable as in they get scratched easily >.< and with low amount of data capacity i was more talking with CDs. 

For me Itunes is no hassle, mainly because I only use apple devices and I'm not sure but you can buy/rent movies from itunes and download them to any device (apple or not) 

I doubt it'll be for quite a few years yet, walking around a shop the other day I saw video tapes, first time in about 5 years.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I doubt it'll be for quite a few years yet, walking around a shop the other day I saw video tapes, first time in about 5 years.

Damn xD