When Will Cds Die?

Snickerzz

my oppinion is that they will die out slowly. i guess that in a 20 yers time cds are no longer in use, at all... exept from collectors and people that does not want to get used to new technology. I strongly belive in 10 years then in most music shops they give you a code to download it online or something. mabye you have to loggin to your itunes or spotify account in the store to get them register the speciffic song or album to your account. this is my guess :D 10-20 years

I don't think its going to take very long, i'd say in 15 to 20 years they'll be gone. My cousins don't even now what a cassette tape or VHS is.

Also, magnetic tape drives cost >$2000 usually. And a 1TB tape can cost upwards of $500 each. Plus you need at least two tapes.

Just to give you an idea of cost, but it's well worth it for mission critical data.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Magnetic tape isn't dead. It's actually the preferred system for backing up servers. It's what every enterprise uses.

Wow... you learn something new every day. I didn't know that you could even get tape drives like that with those capacities said just above

I'm not gonna say the CD is never gonna die, but it will be a long time. We're still lots of people who enjoy owning physical copies of our music, they are a lot better than MP3's (mind you there's other formats like FLAC etc which have improved) and until there's a good replacement for this I'm keeping my Pioneer PD-75 and I'll keep buying CD's.

how does grass stand? O:

Vertically or Horizontally if the wind is blowing:)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

We still have vinyl around as well btw, that should give you an idea about how long a media survives after it's basically phased out.

Vertically or Horizontally if the wind is blowing:)

-dumps a bucket of water on you- hush! XD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

It will be gone when it should b gone. Usage continues to decline and it's only a matter of time.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

CD's are already dead, I had to get a replacement copy of windows form dell for an old laptop and they sent it via USB!

AMD FX-8350 OC to 4.5ghz      Evga gtx 660       SilverStone FT03      Samsung 840 128gb  

CD's are already dead, I had to get a replacement copy of windows form dell for an old laptop and they sent it via USB!

Windows have not been fitted on CD's for several years, that does not make CD's dead.

I can't really see then being discontinued for quite some time, especially since tapes are still being used.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows have not been fitted on CD's for several years, that does not make CD's dead.

yea, there were XP usb drives

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

CDs may disappear but Blu-Ray will be around for a while, no doubt. Given the storage capacity and the reduction in surface damage/errors on the discs. There's no reason to completely remove physical media, as it's still important and sometimes flash drives are not suitable or robust enough.

CDs may disappear but Blu-Ray will be around for a while, no doubt. Given the storage capacity and the reduction in surface damage/errors on the discs. There's no reason to completely remove physical media, as it's still important and sometimes flash drives are not suitable or robust enough.

yea blu rays are pretty new, but aren't the read/write speeds much slower than CDs?

yea blu rays are pretty new, but aren't the read/write speeds much slower than CDs?

Nope, the exact opposite.

How would you play high def video (more MB/s) on it if it was slower?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I still use my dad's collection of music CDs so I have a ODD in my system. My dad has two or three in his.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

well all the Music shops and DVD stores in my town have shut down, complaining about people not shopping local.

When your selling Albums for 50 bucks its no wonder you went out of business.

Anyone else in Australia have an issue with local sellers complaining about people not buying local, then selling things for double and triple actual cost?

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Nope, the exact opposite.

How would you play high def video (more MB/s) on it if it was slower?

now idea XD

well all the Music shops and DVD stores in my town have shut down, complaining about people not shopping local.

When your selling Albums for 50 bucks its no wonder you went out of business.

Anyone else in Australia have an issue with local sellers complaining about people not buying local, then selling things for double and triple actual cost?

All the albums at my local CD shops are pretty cheap. JB hifi sells really cheap CDs when you buy at the right time

All the albums at my local CD shops are pretty cheap. JB hifi sells really cheap CDs when you buy at the right time

Unfortunately its a three hour drive for any competition.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

For what reason? Are you using CD's as a reference to all optical media, or just the real "CD"? Optical media will continue to be relevant for another decade.

I agree here also Linus mentioned this on the live stream, I'm paraphrasing but basically he said they won't go away for a long time for the simple fact that cds/dvds are so so cheap to produce, and are very user friendly to a non techy person, not everyone knows how to use use sticks and people still use dial up Internet which outs streaming out the question