People calling 24" ""budget"" is a huge issue.

cafe

I'm getting really annoyed at people calling 24" a budget size of monitor.

Companies are also refusing to make an IPS that is 144hz while also being 1080p at that size. It's actually insane. 

I personally have a 144hz IPS at 27" and its too big, not to mention its 1440p and I'm miserable with it. 1440p only cuts in half what your fps could be at 1080p and 27" feels just too big. 

I also never want to be burdened with a non ips monitor again. That is actually horrible. 

It's not about money 

If there was a 144hz IPS 1080p 24" monitor i would pay $1k np. For the "premium" of getting a lower res and smaller screen.

Example of the insane logic that gives me a headache. 

vl4SpqZ.png

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

why do you care what people call it. if its more comfortable for you to use it, just keep using it.

also there are 24" 1080p IPS 144hz panels on the way

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

7 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

Companies are also refusing to make an IPS that is 144hz while also being 1080p at that size. It's actually insane.

I am looking at AOC 24G2U, still waiting for proper review

24" being a budget is for those 1080p 60hz of any brand, they all priced relatively low

1 minute ago, Neftex said:

why do you care what people call it. if its more comfortable for you to use it, just keep using it.

also there are 24" 1080p IPS 144hz panels on the way

I care because its THE reason why they don't exist.

Source on them coming though? a link would be nice.

2 minutes ago, Neftex said:

"The new Nitro XV273 X monitor features Full HD resolution (1920x1080) with up to 240 Hz high frame rate, DisplayHDR™ 400 and IPS[1] native 5ms and G2G 1ms (0.1ms min.) response time "

that cannot be 240hz while being ips, right?! if so that is insane

@RelativeMono its right, but i would wait for reviews for sure. its a new panel so theres no info on issues etc

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

7 minutes ago, Caroline said:

27" is enormous, 24" too

my monitor is 20" and it's HUGE, I sit about 3-4 ft from my desk

I've seen people with 27" screens sit at 2ft or less and I can only wonder if they're blind or something, same goes for TVs, 32"? 39"? 50"?! darn... I still have my old 14" and it's perfectly fine, I mean I don't watch TV that much but it's there whenever I want to check the weather or some news while having dinner and the size imo is OK, it's about 7 ft from where I sit.

the reason most people who play games a little "too serious" :P think that 24" is the sweet spot on average is because they sit relatively close but can keep the HUD of games in vision without being too blurred by their peripheral vision and at the distance you want to sit to see other players at a distance ingame is a lot better at 24" than 27"

I hadn't thought of this before, and tbh I'm not sure I've noticed this trend to a great degree (except for maybe that mentality toward even smaller screens like 21"), but I totally see where you're coming from.  Associating a certain size of display with being premium or not is absolutely and incredibly stupid and illogical.  Size is a means to an end - you sit a certain distance from the screen, and want it to cover a certain field of view, and together, those factors inform the choice of what size of monitor is correct for you.  It's not a matter of better or worse, it's about the proper tool for the job.  It would be like saying a certain size of mouse or case is more premium than another.  No, they just do different things, suit different people and different situations, and have different pros and cons.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Pfft. 27" is baby sized compared to this giant 32" I'm using for this system.

Laptop needs to go in for repair and I've become so used to that 17" screen that using this one again is almost comical lmao 

8 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

the reason most people who play games a little "too serious" :P think that 24" is the sweet spot on average

the thing is you cant upgrade to a smaller monitor and price gap of 24' ~ 27' are great

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

the thing is you cant upgrade to a smaller monitor [..]

why not?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

the thing is you cant upgrade to a smaller monitor and price gap of 24' ~ 27' are great

you CAN upgrade to a smaller monitor

Its literally subjective on which is better (although there is a reason why people like shroud use 24")

if 24" is better to you than 27", its an upgrade if you go from 27" to 24"

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Pfft. 27" is baby sized compared to this giant 32" I'm using for this system.

Laptop needs to go in for repair and I've become so used to that 17" screen that using this one again is almost comical lmao 

i feel bad for you, my condolences. 

And i prefer 21" :D

The Peripheral vision is awesome and much better than a 27" or a 24".

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

yeah i honestly think that if i could get an ips 144hz+ at 21" i would

i still use a 21" or around that size crt monitor that i actually end up using more than my 144hz IPS 1440p 27"

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

why not?

same thing as will you go downsize & get a 4" phone / smaller tv,

despite quality , it is considered a downgrade / cutoff being smaller than the norm

yeah and i disagree and think its stupid that people consider it a downgrade

the reason why most people say getting a smaller phone is a downgrade isnt just because of size though, its more like they look worse because they are super low res or have hardware that is 10 years old driving them or you cant get those phones on the new android which is a little more objective than subjective in the way that the bigger phones are just simply faster and have better hardware.

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

same thing as will you go downsize & get a 4" phone / smaller tv,

despite quality , it is considered a downgrade / cutoff being smaller than the norm

The thing about phones is you can rarely get close enough to them to fill your vision comfortably, so bigger is always better - at least in terms of visuals.  Even that needs caveats because there are downsides like less portability, awkward with one hand, etc.  TVs are pretty much the same situation.  Monitors though sit, generally speaking, in an intermediate range where you've got complete freedom to get something ranging from uncomfortably and impractically large to annoyingly small, so bigger isn't always better, there's a sweetspot for each person, depending on their taste and their desk setup.  If their setup changes and they gain the option to move closer, they could upgrade to a smaller display if they don't find being closer uncomfortable, and if they would fine the previous size at that distance unwieldy.  It could also be considered an upgrade because when shopping for a new monitor, if you can get away with a smaller one, you will save money which is good.

Asus released a 21" 4K OLED 60Hz HDR monitor,looks amazing.

It's called the Asus ProArt PQ22UC:

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ProArt-PQ22UC/

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

ogKQc6T.png

What is wrong with people on /r/monitors

4 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

ogKQc6T.png

What is wrong with people on /r/monitors

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

I call that the enemy within :D

yeah youre not wrong

24" is the smallest possible size I would ever even look at.

I want 27" or 32" tho, not decided what one yet.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 minutes ago, Mihle said:

24" is the smallest possible size I would ever even look at.

I want 27" or 32" tho, not decided what one yet.

Have you ever tried a smaller monitor like a 21" before you got to that conclusion?