Which Linux based OS's can recover from a power outage?

Looking to install Lunix on a home PC. I don't want to bother with a UPS.  I've read ext4 can survive a power outage. Does Zorin OS use ext4? Alternatively, which Linux distro is good for surviving a power outage? Free free to add any info you think pertinent.

What do you mean recover from power outage? You will lose any pending writes, but basically any modern filesystem is journaling, so it you lose power it will be fine.

I wouldn't worry about it, just pick whatever distro fits your other needs and keep good backups.

Zorin can use ext4.

Electronic Wizardy nailed it when he said to keep good backups. Whether any OS can survive a power outage depends on what was going on when the power shut off. Usually, it's not a problem but, occasionally, things can get scrambled if critical writing was going on when the power went out. As long as you keep up to date backups, even that won't be a problem.

For even more protection, consider getting a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that can supply enough power to give you time to safely shut down the computer when the power goes out.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Both questions are answered nicely by the first two posters so I'll throw my +1's for both of their suggestions.

If you're worried about having data loss due to power outages I would definitely get an uninterruptible power supply like @Lady Fitzgerald suggested as that will nip the problem in the bud. If you have a good UPS you can even connect them to your PC itself and when the power goes out it can start a shutdown script to make sure the system shuts down cleanly if that's something you want.

On 9/21/2019 at 4:24 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

What do you mean recover from power outage? You will lose any pending writes, but basically any modern filesystem is journaling, so it you lose power it will be fine.

I wouldn't worry about it, just pick whatever distro fits your other needs and keep good backups.

Thanks. I'm just looking for an OS (besides Windows), with a file system sane enough to reboot itself after after a power failure and run. But I would still like to know which distros have what file system, but that information isn't as available as I thought it would/should be.

Just now, kris44dad said:

Thanks. I'm just looking for an OS (besides Windows), with a file system sane enough to reboot itself after after a power failure and run. But I would still like to know which distros have what file system, but that information isn't as available as I thought it would/should be.

Basically every linux distro is like that these days.  This just isn't something you need to worry about. Journaling filesystems are good at dealing with issues like this, and every modern linux distro uses a journaling file system.