EU PSU compatible with US voltage?

tla2124

I brought with me my older PC with a FSP 500W 60HHN 80+ Bronze PSU, I know some PSUs can change and adapt to different voltages, however I cant seem to figure out if it will work or whether I have to purchase an American marketed PSU and redo my cabling for the PC?

Look on the labels ... it should say something like 100v...240v AC, 50..60Hz if it's universal.

Their page says AC Input 230v which suggests it's 230v only : https://www.fsp-group.com/en/product/pcpsu/1487400001-131.html

Some of these designs will actually work with 110v as long as you're not getting close to their maximum advertised output - for example, let's say such a psu would be safe to use up to 300w instead of 500w (not saying it's true for this particular model )

In some cases they may say 230v only because the power supply can't achieve the minimum of 82% efficiency with 110v AC, so they chose to only validate it with 230v.

edit: here's datasheet : https://www.fsp-ps.de/download/pro/FSP500-60HHN(85)_Datasheet.pdf

I think it's like I said above, it probably works with 110v but they want you to use it with 230v only

EU uses 230V mains AC power. USA uses 120V mains AC Power.

If you check the label for your FSP 500 60HHN PSU it will show that it is 200-240V input only. You cannot use it on American mains power.
It's very old and should be replaced anyway.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It doesn't look like it can.temp.png.c88281002ca9ff566e518d1f66db3e9b.png

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

Shitty PSU's only support the higher mains voltage of the EU, etc. because high voltage means low current, so cheaper parts can be used on the primary side.

Since North America, Taiwan, Japan, etc. use lower mains voltage (i.e. 100-120V), the current is higher and more robust parts are needed to support them.

2 minutes ago, Joluch said:

It doesn't look like it can.

temp.png.b7657081fc19b946226ffeb9e3f42157.png

That is a 60APN.

But it seems as if the 60HHN doesn't support "full range" either.

https://www.fsp-group.com/en/product/pcpsu/1487400001-131.html

Time to buy a new PSU.

But that's ok...You're doing yourself a favor by doing so.  Anything that is 230V only is probably a shitty PSU over all and shouldn't be used regardless of your mains voltage.

Check your PSU. Some PSU has Voltage selector. If it has, you can use, but make sure to select the correct voltage.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

7 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Check your PSU. Some PSU has Voltage selector.

His PSU doesn't have a voltage selector. He told us his PSU in the first post, so we could check it with a simple google search, and there's also a straight up picture of it in the 3rd answer.

Reading the thread before posting helps often.

1 hour ago, Chiyawa said:

Check your PSU. Some PSU has Voltage selector. If it has, you can use, but make sure to select the correct voltage.

My Seasonic Prime Titanium doesn't have a voltage selector switch. I guess I can't use it on 110V. 

:)

Thanks for the replies, seems I will be switching to a new PSU then! 

20 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

That is a 60APN.

Yeah, realized I had the wrong picture as soon as I hit post, but was struggling to find out how to delete the post. So instead swapped the picture as quickly as I can. :). Thought I got it in time lol.

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |