Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey there. What would you do if you receive a computer with Pentium on it and running windows 95 or 98. Tell me down below. (Don't say I am stupid for asking this I will recive one soon and I don't know what to do with it)

What Pentium, it can go up to Pentium 4 which is still possible to install windows 7.

The problem with old hardware is limited resources like Ram and Old PATA drives. Maximum memory is like 1gb if you can find 4 x 256mb sdram (which is not common).

The peripherals are in PCI slots, even some motherboard don't have a soundcard. 

22 minutes ago, Boot Virtual said:

Hey there. What would you do if you receive a computer with Pentium on it and running windows 95 or 98. Tell me down below. (Don't say I am stupid for asking this I will recive one soon and I don't know what to do with it)

I'm running a Pentium right now so...

Send it to an electronics recyling place?

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

26 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

What Pentium, it can go up to Pentium 4 which is still possible to install windows 7.

The problem with old hardware is limited resources like Ram and Old PATA drives. Maximum memory is like 1gb if you can find 4 x 256mb sdram (which is not common).

It has all what you need and I think is Pentium 1 or 2

3 minutes ago, Boot Virtual said:

NO

You asked what I would do with it.

I wouldn't keep a useless potato around my house when I already have a working PC.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Boot Virtual said:

It has all what you need and I think is Pentium 1 or 2

Awh, its so old and so slow, it would barely reach 1ghz speed.

Imagine what can you do with 400mhz cpu today?

Even browsing will be a bad experience, since webpage today will demand 200-300mb of memory.

2 minutes ago, Boot Virtual said:

Why do you insist on this????

That's just what I would do. I get rid of useless/unnecesary things in my house. How about you?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Even browsing will be a bad experience, since webpage today will demand 200-300mb of memory.

retro gaming.

Desktop:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ (@ 3.00ghz)

ATI Radeon X1950XTX

MSI K9A2 Platinum (ms-7376)

Generic/Unknown PSU (350w)

AMD Phenom Stock CPU Cooler

Philips 107T5 (Will be replaced soon)

1GB Elpida OEM DDR2 (Will be replaced soon)

(our head priest's name is ZUN in all caps)

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Why do I need browsing on that computer. It will not be my main computer. I burn evry thing I need and put it in.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That's just what I would do. I get rid of useless/unnecesary things in my house. How about you?

Testing all the things and if it's possible experiment but after this if I don't like something an I don't use it I get rid of it.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well if you're browsing webpages from that time (which is extinct by now), you can.

Other use for that is old office apps, 16bit gaming, AOL messaging, mIRC.

you are right at this moment

43 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

What Pentium ... if you mean socket 7 or super socket 7, it would be better to go for some K6-2 or K6-3 processors and a suitable motherboard... those were great for Windows 98 SE

More likely you're gonna have up to 3 SDRAM slots, up to 768 MB SDRAM, and there already was AGP 8x as I remember I had a nVidia VANTA and a S3 Savage 4 with a K6-2 333 Mhz at home. 

windows 98 se will also run with pentium iii and pentium iv ... but pentium iv is really not worth it, power hungry and all that.

Just now, mariushm said:

What Pentium ... if you mean socket 7 or super socket 7, it would be better to go for some K6-2 or K6-3 processors and a suitable motherboard... those were great for Windows 98 SE

More likely you're gonna have up to 3 SDRAM slots, up to 768 MB SDRAM, and there already was AGP 8x as I remember I had a nVidia VANTA and a S3 Savage 4 with a K6-2 333 Mhz at home. 

windows 98 se will also run with pentium iii and pentium iv ... but pentium iv is really not worth it, power hungry and all that.

Yeah this is interesting, i forgot that sockets are shared between cpu back in the days. But if you have Pentium 2 is a no go, since it has socket 8.

If you can find AMD k6-3 in socket 7 it would be awesome.