Hey there. What would you do if you receive a computer with Pentium on it and running windows 95 or 98. Tell me down below. (Don't say I am stupid for asking this I will recive one soon and I don't know what to do with it)

What Pentium, it can go up to Pentium 4 which is still possible to install windows 7.

The problem with old hardware is limited resources like Ram and Old PATA drives. Maximum memory is like 1gb if you can find 4 x 256mb sdram (which is not common).

The peripherals are in PCI slots, even some motherboard don't have a soundcard. 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

22 minutes ago, Boot Virtual said:

Hey there. What would you do if you receive a computer with Pentium on it and running windows 95 or 98. Tell me down below. (Don't say I am stupid for asking this I will recive one soon and I don't know what to do with it)

I'm running a Pentium right now so...

CPU: Amd Ryzen 3400g 

COOLER: Be Quite Dark Rock Pro 4

MOBO: Aorus x570 elite 

RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengence 3200 MHz 

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB

GPU: Powercolour Red Devil RX570 4GB

PSU: Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold

CASE: Coolermaster H500p Mesh

Send it to an electronics recyling place?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

26 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

What Pentium, it can go up to Pentium 4 which is still possible to install windows 7.

The problem with old hardware is limited resources like Ram and Old PATA drives. Maximum memory is like 1gb if you can find 4 x 256mb sdram (which is not common).

It has all what you need and I think is Pentium 1 or 2

14 minutes ago, Zvoid said:

I'm running a Pentium right now so...

You are just kidding, for sure

3 minutes ago, Boot Virtual said:

NO

You asked what I would do with it.

I wouldn't keep a useless potato around my house when I already have a working PC.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You asked what I would do with it.

I wouldn't keep a useless potato around my house when I already have a working PC.

Why do you insist on this????

1 minute ago, Boot Virtual said:

It has all what you need and I think is Pentium 1 or 2

Awh, its so old and so slow, it would barely reach 1ghz speed.

Imagine what can you do with 400mhz cpu today?

Even browsing will be a bad experience, since webpage today will demand 200-300mb of memory.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, Boot Virtual said:

Why do you insist on this????

That's just what I would do. I get rid of useless/unnecesary things in my house. How about you?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Even browsing will be a bad experience, since webpage today will demand 200-300mb of memory.

retro gaming.

Desktop:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ (@ 3.00ghz)

ATI Radeon X1950XTX

MSI K9A2 Platinum (ms-7376)

Generic/Unknown PSU (350w)

AMD Phenom Stock CPU Cooler

Philips 107T5 (Will be replaced soon)

1GB Elpida OEM DDR2 (Will be replaced soon)

(our head priest's name is ZUN in all caps)

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Why do I need browsing on that computer. It will not be my main computer. I burn evry thing I need and put it in.

Well if you're browsing webpages from that time (which is extinct by now), you can.

Other use for that is old office apps, 16bit gaming, AOL messaging, mIRC.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That's just what I would do. I get rid of useless/unnecesary things in my house. How about you?

Testing all the things and if it's possible experiment but after this if I don't like something an I don't use it I get rid of it.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well if you're browsing webpages from that time (which is extinct by now), you can.

Other use for that is old office apps, 16bit gaming, AOL messaging, mIRC.

you are right at this moment

43 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

What Pentium ... if you mean socket 7 or super socket 7, it would be better to go for some K6-2 or K6-3 processors and a suitable motherboard... those were great for Windows 98 SE

More likely you're gonna have up to 3 SDRAM slots, up to 768 MB SDRAM, and there already was AGP 8x as I remember I had a nVidia VANTA and a S3 Savage 4 with a K6-2 333 Mhz at home. 

windows 98 se will also run with pentium iii and pentium iv ... but pentium iv is really not worth it, power hungry and all that.

Just now, mariushm said:

What Pentium ... if you mean socket 7 or super socket 7, it would be better to go for some K6-2 or K6-3 processors and a suitable motherboard... those were great for Windows 98 SE

More likely you're gonna have up to 3 SDRAM slots, up to 768 MB SDRAM, and there already was AGP 8x as I remember I had a nVidia VANTA and a S3 Savage 4 with a K6-2 333 Mhz at home. 

windows 98 se will also run with pentium iii and pentium iv ... but pentium iv is really not worth it, power hungry and all that.

Yeah this is interesting, i forgot that sockets are shared between cpu back in the days. But if you have Pentium 2 is a no go, since it has socket 8.

If you can find AMD k6-3 in socket 7 it would be awesome.