Samsung begins mass production of 12Gb (gigabit) LPDDR5 DRAM

Too bad Intel's gonna take a few years to support it :(

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

7 minutes ago, Soppro said:

Too bad Intel's gonna take a few years to support it :(

amd might next year though!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

11 hours ago, will4623 said:

amd might next year though!

AM4 is supposed to carry through 2020. While it's possible that they could do some shenanigans to run DDR4/5 on the same socket, it seems a lot more likely that Zen 3 will be the last hurrah for DDR4 and then they can start from scratch with DDR5 on a whole new socket. 

I wouldn't mind being wrong though. The sooner we start pushing new standards, the sooner they can become commonplace and cheap(er). 

On 7/19/2019 at 4:22 PM, RedRound2 said:

Why in the world does 5G need LPDDR5 RAM? 4.2 Gb/s of LPDDR4X is more than enough for the idealistic 1 Gb/s 5G speeds (or am I missing something?)

Cool speed and efficiency improvements and all but does everyone really have to integrate the 5G and AI buzzword into everything?

Not sure what 5G has to do with the talk of memory. More bandwidth is a major boon for more intensive applications, such as 3d games, especially on today's high resolution smartphone displays where overdraw can quickly hammer bandwidth. Amusingly, my 2016-era smartphone's LPDDR4 matches the bandwidth of my DDR3-equipped desktop.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:03 PM, Dabombinable said:

Make MKV negates the need for torrenting ?

Reminds me that I seriously need some more drives.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 7/19/2019 at 5:20 PM, will4623 said:

wait I thought linus said ddr3 takes less power?

Linus was referring to LPDDR3 in laptops like the 2015 MBP which is why Apple made the argument in 2015 that putting in DDR4 while allowing more than 16GB of memory uses more power than standard DDR4 because LPDDR3 does use less power.

The real problem is that most recent Intel CPUs and AMD mobile APUs don't currrently support LPDDR4 or even LPDDR4X.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),