HomeLab/HomeDatacentre and PowerUsers of the Forum

This thread is still alive, for anyone who's wondering. Might open it to just Enterprise users in general (but I'll define who counts as an Enterprise user)...

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking of moving my server onto Fedora Server (I like up to date packages) with ZFS mirror vdevs, most management done via Cockpit. Also considering the merits of running OpnSense (or IPFire) for my hardware on the network, and whether to virtualize it or buy a PCEngines box for it.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Man - Google really knows how to make homelab step it up. They sat there and announced that they're axing Google Cloud Print :D Time to pull up a replacement for it - CUPS anyone? Maybe start a coalition of CUPS-equipped printing networks soon, so that we can print from anywhere :) 

/s on the last sentence

• 1 month later...

Okay, first post of the new year. Things are going okay, though I did buy a wrong cable. Cables are cheap, though :D 

• 1 month later...

Ive got way too many old servers for planned but never finished projects

got a dl380g6 with dual quad cores 24gb ram with 4x146gb + 4x300gb drives. Though about making it a MC server along with a VPN for myself and GF cus my home 125 symmetrical  would be plenty. But I never could get an OS to install

got a Cisco multiserve whatever. Its a rebranded supermicro dual socket 771. only a single quad core and 12gb of ram. 3 LSI raid cards mismatched. (when I get funds ill by my 3rd card preflashed in IT mode so I can get all 24 drives working) It does have 24 3.5in bays and was planing on being a NAS and plex server. its got 6 1tb in it now. Freenas was installed but I kept playing around with it and I think I killed the flash drive it was on. never went back and finished it, although I do plan to because I'm going to need lots of space for my videos. (mixture of youtube and work I do for other people)

My desktop became my final server.

its a 6660k in a desktop board with 16gb of ram and a 250gb ssd. Got windows 10 pro running and using it to host 4 MC servers. I had it all working over lan but after I left and tried to get it to work it did. I'm off in college and got 0 want to go home so I won't know till them. My idea would be bad port forwarding.

unfortunately no rack picture, mines a little different. its an old TV cart with the 2 rackmount servers in the bottom, 2 desktops above with my networking gear there.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

23 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Though about making it a MC server along with a VPN for myself and GF cus my home 125 symmetrical  would be plenty. But I never could get an OS to install

+1 to the VPN idea. I've done that at home, but one thing to definitley look out for is AES NI support on your CPU. I moved from Xeon E5530 to E5606 and the sudden increase in performance (OpenVPN on Ubuntu) was like night and day... The dl380 g6 should be around that 2009-2011 era so it's impossible to say if you have on-CPU AES acceleration.

FWIW: I have OpenVPN as a conventional "VPN" service, but I've also found a cool asp application called Myrtille (Sort of like a web-based RDP client) which I have found to be super helpful when I'm connecting from work. (I work in IT consultancy, so of course our internal IT department block everything except TeamViewer... )

4 minutes ago, Totd said:

+1 to the VPN idea. I've done that at home, but one thing to definitley look out for is AES NI support on your CPU. I moved from Xeon E5530 to E5606 and the sudden increase in performance (OpenVPN on Ubuntu) was like night and day... The dl380 g6 should be around that 2009-2011 era so it's impossible to say if you have on-CPU AES acceleration.

FWIW: I have OpenVPN as a conventional "VPN" service, but I've also found a cool asp application called Myrtille (Sort of like a web-based RDP client) which I have found to be super helpful when I'm connecting from work. (I work in IT consultancy, so of course our internal IT department block everything except TeamViewer... )

Ive got dual E5520 so I would need an upgrade to the 6 cores. which would be fine as I'd also add some ram. But I can't get anything to boot on it right.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

14 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

Ive got dual E5520 so I would need an upgrade to the 6 cores. which would be fine as I'd also add some ram. But I can't get anything to boot on it right.

I had serious issues getting Windows 2016 working properly on my BL460g6 blades, but that was a NIC driver issue (Windows would blue screen when I tried to configure a virtual switch). After enough searching (And firmware patching), I eventually found a procedure to get working drivers on them.

If you can find a ProLiant Support Pack (Firmware DVD), it might be worth trying firmware. THe ProLiants are pretty solid. That said, the E55xx processors are practically space heaters now, so you might be better served (No pun intended) by getting a little mini PC, or even a Raspberry Pi to provide a basic VPN server. If I was sensible I would do that, but I do love the bragging rights at work :)

At some point this week, I should be transitioning from /r/homeserver to /r/homelab.

Current:

HP DL380 G6 running Proxmox. Dual quads, 48GB RAM, 8x146GB SAS drives. It currently serves as my reverse proxy, tiny web server, document storage, and occasional game server. In the near future, it's likely to have shiny new PaperCut and password manager VMs.

Near future:

Obsolete Xserve 2,1. Single CPU, maybe 16 GB  RAM, two 1TB drives. I have a spare drive that should fit. Planning on turning it into a media server given my current media requirements.

Cisco Catalyst 2960G. I don't have much info on this one but the inventory tag was mis-labeled. 24 port 10/100/1000, four dual-purpose 10G/SFP ports.

I have a rack pic but it's a bit nontraditional. The above three machines add up to 4U, which should fit lovely within this monstrosity, since enclosed on two sides to protect buttons from prying toddler fingers:

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Totd said:

I had serious issues getting Windows 2016 working properly on my BL460g6 blades, but that was a NIC driver issue (Windows would blue screen when I tried to configure a virtual switch). After enough searching (And firmware patching), I eventually found a procedure to get working drivers on them.

If you can find a ProLiant Support Pack (Firmware DVD), it might be worth trying firmware. THe ProLiants are pretty solid. That said, the E55xx processors are practically space heaters now, so you might be better served (No pun intended) by getting a little mini PC, or even a Raspberry Pi to provide a basic VPN server. If I was sensible I would do that, but I do love the bragging rights at work :)

I got a 6600k which would do fine.

I know this gen is super picky.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/10/2020 at 12:51 PM, Flail Snail said:

At some point this week, I should be transitioning from /r/homeserver to /r/homelab.

Current:

HP DL380 G6 running Proxmox. Dual quads, 48GB RAM, 8x146GB SAS drives. It currently serves as my reverse proxy, tiny web server, document storage, and occasional game server. In the near future, it's likely to have shiny new PaperCut and password manager VMs.

Near future:

Obsolete Xserve 2,1. Single CPU, maybe 16 GB  RAM, two 1TB drives. I have a spare drive that should fit. Planning on turning it into a media server given my current media requirements.

Cisco Catalyst 2960G. I don't have much info on this one but the inventory tag was mis-labeled. 24 port 10/100/1000, four dual-purpose 10G/SFP ports.

I have a rack pic but it's a bit nontraditional. The above three machines add up to 4U, which should fit lovely within this monstrosity, since enclosed on two sides to protect buttons from prying toddler fingers:

spacer.png

1. Where did you get the table?
  2. Will it fit a 4U server nicely?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting close to testing out the first GRID-equipped VM. As soon as Windows Server VM setup is finished...

Did a little upgrade to my homelab server recently. It's an X99 system and I recently picked up a Xeon E3-2678 for it (12c, 24t @ 2.5ghz base, 3.3ghz turbo), which is a nice step up over the 5820k I was using previously. At the same time I put it in a BeQuiet Dark Base Pro v2 with a new BeQuiet power supply. Mainly because I've wanted to play around with the case for a while and it was a bit noisy previously. Happy with how it turned out. Have been using this machine to run vsphere/vcenter. Completely wiped it and am in the progress of setting it up again to move from version 6.5 to version 7.0 u1. 

I have done some upgrades to my Home Network. I have upgraded the memory for my server from 16 to 32gb for SCCM. I have bought a NAS a while back. Other than that no major changes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I recently set up a Sun T5220 as my home backup server. It's running OpenBSD on a 2x Sun 10k 146 GB drive RAID 1 array, with /home mounted on a 4x IBM 10k 600 GB drive RAID 5 array. It works quite well, though it's plugged into a rather cheap APC UPS and I'm thinking about upgrading that.  Not really sure what to go with here. It doesn't need huge capacity; it just needs to buy me enough time to power it down gracefully if there's a power outage. 

• 1 month later...

I need to put all of my equipment onto a rack soon. Then add 2 UPS's for high-wattage devices. This'll be a long-term objective to start in 2021 🤔 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

AD issue was resolved via DNS, and the cable issue has been replaced with one pertaining to hMailServer and backend DB compatibility. Testing MariaDB in the next few days...

• 4 months later...

I totally botched the syncthing+chromium plan today. Attempted sync with a VM (destination), and the source got nuked to defaults. Had to to a hasty recovery, and I lost all History along with over half of my Bookmarks. If I had remembered to make the source "Send only", I could have saved myself some trouble. So far, most of the ones I lost were unused Bookmarks from years past. But, still busy testing website access so far. Still getting my settings back to where they were before the fudging...

Also learned that Syncthing doesn't appear to use the OS's trash/recycle bin when it removes files, so need to either use file versioning or suffer the consequences 😐

On a not-so-painful note, I got KeePass synced and all VMs have backups ready. I can safely (attempt to) install the nVIDIA drivers tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Okay, Docker was painful - but I figured it out. Now getting ready to adjust service launch options for MariaDB...