Are you a middle aged gamer and how long have you been gaming?

Anomnomnomaly
5 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

Never let anyone tell you something is immature, if you have a passion for something... enjoy the fuck out of it for as long as you like.

The immature ones are those who try to deny you something that brings you joy.

Great post man.  Ya Im 41 and will be gaming at 81 ..... remember age is just a number!

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Also not 40 (36ish) but while I still enjoy gaming I have lost a lot of the motivation and time for it. That happened about 2 years ago with the birth of my twin boys. So if I do want to play it is either after their bedtime or while they nap. Luckily, I am switching to a new "condensed" shift where I get 4 days off every week. So that should increase the time I have for both kids and play.

As to games I play a little of everything. Use to play a lot of Ark

22 hours ago, mr moose said:

43, been building computers and electronic gismos since I was strong enough to hold a soldering iron.  I remember memory/co processor upgrades actually requiring you take the IC out of PCB mount.    Been gaming for as long too. 

Challenge accepted:

poo poo wee,     vagina.

If they bring you joy,and I know one of them does me... then have at it.  ?

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

39 here. First video games I remember playing at home was on a Commadore 64, maybe in 1985 but I don't remember which games, some text ones. We used to go to pizza joints often and they had arcades in them as well. Later, I did have a NES and would play occasionally with my cousins or brother. But, it wasn't until the SNES era when I really started gaming often. My brother and I had them all; SNES, Genesis, Turbo Grafix 16, Game Boy, Game Gear.

I did some PC gaming in high school with Diablo, but never really got into it since it wasn't that great of a computer. Once I finally built my own PC, it was the Everquest era. But, I stuck mostly to consoles until my 360 broke after a week of playing ME 2. Nowadays I'm mostly on PC, but I do have the Wii U, Vita, and 3DS that I occasionally play.

47.  Started with one.of those black and white multi game consoles with pong , some sort.of.racing game where you could move left or right to avoid the 2d cars . 

Moved onto BBC micro b . Think it was either 16 or 32 bit .  Played revs , Chucky egg , elite then eventually moved to pc although my 1st pc was more word processor than gaming pc.  Only consoles I have tried are PS1 and PS3 . Have had pcs pretty much constant .

Rarely play games now . But do dabble . I enjoy ghost recon Wildlands . Did like GTA but it just became toxic online . Mainly tinker now . And use it for digitazing and use it as htpc 

• 2 weeks later...

42 and I stick to single player games unless I play online with a few select friends.  I have little tolerance for competitive BS and smack talking. My kids play with me and my pals mostly. 

I play everything from fps to sims

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Guess I'm the oldest respondent.  52 this year and been playing games since the introduction of the Magnavox Odyssey back in 72.  Nothing like taping overlays on your TV for each game. 

How many other old-timers remember the first version of Doom with opengl that could be played in a window under NT 3.1?  Or network play using IPX?  We had many visits from the network guy with his sniffer.

Not a serious gamer, now, but I still play when time permits.

Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme, Intel i9 9900K (5.1GHz, no AVX offset, 4.9GHz cache and 1.295V), 16G G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL14, EVGA GTX 760, Corsair H115i Pro, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 512 GB (x2), Corsair RM1000i PSU, Windows 10 Pro (1903).

Will be 39 this month.  Been playing games since playing cartridge based games on my Texas Instruments and Coleco Adam computers back in the day.  (Back then it was common for home computers to have aspects of a console AND of a computer.)   

If we count mobile games it is probably quite common for people who were say... teenaged in the late 70's and 80's to still play computer based games.  Maybe not as much because adults get busy with work, children and relationships.  (The then playing with your children and I know of couples where both people play the same games....) 

8 hours ago, tincanalley said:

How many other old-timers remember the first version of Doom with opengl that could be played in a window under NT 3.1?  Or network play using IPX?  We had many visits from the network guy with his sniffer.

I remember playing Wolfenstein 3D on a work computer back in around 92, the first Civ game and Sim City all under DOS, and then we got  a grant to buy a new more modern computer (386) and bought the very first X-Wing game... and played that for ages before we could even afford to add a sound card to the machine.

We had to set up floppy boot discs for a lot of games, so that it could load the required settings for that specific game... We had loads of game boot disks.

The only time we actually used windows 3.1 was when working on the mini mag/newsletters using some freeware desktop publishing program.

Happy times.  :)

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

I'm 34 and have been gaming actively since I was 10 (before that, I would play games on friends' computers). My reflexes aren't what they used to be, but with modern multiplayer games (CSGO, Overwatch, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, HotS, StarCraft 2, Dark Souls 3, Quake Champions (while it still had a playerbase), etc.) all having half-decent matchmaking systems, I don't really get stomped in MP either. 

I always loved multiplayer games, so I can't see myself abandoning them ever no matter how old and slow I get + there will be many other slow elderly dudes playing them as well, so it'll all even out. :)

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.