no sound for Linux on iMac 2017 Retina 5K, 27-inch

Hey guys.

I am using an iMac 2017 Retina 5K, 27-inch and I would like to fully switch to Linux for my private use of the machine. So far so good, almost everything works like a charm but...

The sound is not working. The machine is using a weird soundcard (one of those cirruslogic ones). I tested so far different sound settings and also if there is sound on the headphone jack (No sound from internal speakers or headphone jack). On MacOS both work just fine so its not a hardware issue. I dont really know how to proceed from here. 
If any of you has an idea how to fix it or a full on solution, you're welcome to share.
Right now I am running Manjaro with the lates non-experimental kernel but I'm willing to switch if necessary. 

Greetings from Ireland,
Jehfg17

PS: Anthony rocks!

Wow! You want to run a poor man's OS on a rich man's computer.
It's like putting a diesel engine in a Ferrari.

If you dont have any constructive answer, why even bother to answer?

Maybe Wendell can help you but I don't know how you can contact him.

use either "alsamixer" or "amixer" to change sound settings.

You may have to install them first as Manjaro is based on arch.

As you can see Alsamixer shows me those 3 sound cards. The Intel PCH is the internal soundcard. I chose this one and set it to 100 but it doesnt seem to be working.

AlsaMixer setting.png

According to the ifixit teardown it is a Cirruslogic 4206BCNZ Audio Controller, maybe this helps.

You said you are willing to switch have you tried Elementary? In my experience it runs smooth after you get past the installation (which can be a bit slow for some reason).

You can also run Tails if what you are concerned about is privacy… It is much harder to get it going and you will have to set it up every time you reboot but it can be done (don't know of any issues but haven't used for too long though).

check the audio settings in the control center and make sure the default card is that one

try every update you can, if not successful, try the most updated Ubuntu distro or manjaro