System High CPU usage while more or less idle

Krup

I think it started happening since latest windows 10 update. The system is high cpu usage and makes my pc laggy and slower everynow and then, i think there is problem with driver or the update but not sure how to fix.

Windows Os build is : 18362.175

PC Specs: i7 9700k @4.6Ghz
16gb ram
Rtx 2070

high cpu.png

3 minutes ago, Krup said:

I think it started happening since latest windows 10 update. The system is high cpu usage and makes my pc laggy and slower everynow and then, i think there is problem with driver or the update but not sure how to fix.

Windows Os build is : 18362.175

PC Specs: i7 9700k @4.6Ghz
16gb ram
Rtx 2070

high cpu.png

60% Ram in use is not idle for sure.

2 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

60% Ram in use is not idle for sure.

I said kinda idle, only google chrome and spotify open, but also this seems to only happen when downloading something, but the progam that is downloading isnt high cpu usage but the system is.

11 minutes ago, Krup said:

I said kinda idle, only google chrome and spotify open, but also this seems to only happen when downloading something, but the progam that is downloading isnt high cpu usage but the system is.

By downloading you mean torrents/steam or what? Are you downloading to an SSD or hard drive? Your OS is on SSD or not? This use to happen to me when using my old PC with OS on old hard drive that was near death.

If you check Performance Monitor it should tell you exactly what is using your CPU and Disk, that should give you some leads.

6 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

By downloading you mean torrents/steam or what? Are you downloading to an SSD or hard drive? Your OS is on SSD or not? This use to happen to my when using my old PC with OS on old hard drive that was near death.

Torrents to a like 2month old hydrid hdd. the os is not on that.  

Also here is the ram and nothing is open, and here is the hdd.

high ram.png

hdd.png

This is the disk usage when downloading onto it. When the system usage has high cpu usage.

disk usage.png

7 minutes ago, Krup said:

Torrents to a like 2month old hydrid hdd. the os is not on that.  

Also here is the ram and nothing is open, and here is the hdd.

high ram.png

hdd.png

Show full SMART values please. That's very odd behavior. Have you tried running Malware-bytes or virus scan? You have 16GB and on idle it's more than half in use, I have the same amount and on idle 22% are used, something is wrong with your system.

4 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Show full SMART values please. That's very odd behavior. Have you tried running Malware-bytes or virus scan? You have 16GB and on idle it's more than half in use, I have the same amount and on idle 22% are used, something is wrong with your system.

Ill Run a bitdefender full scan now and yeah i dont know why ram is so high with nothing open.

hrdd.png

Its your antivirus.

I personally havent used anything but Windows defender for the past ~5 years and havent had a problem.  Nearly every other AV suite available has had issues at one point or another with CPU usage due to bugs.

The real problem is that these bugs do not tend to get fixed quickly.

16 minutes ago, Krup said:

Ill Run a bitdefender full scan now and yeah i dont know why ram is so high with nothing open.

hrdd.png

Nothing out of the ordinary here, try running Malwarebytes, there might be some malware, try that first. Are you running Windows version from some torrent you downloaded or normal version downloaded from Microsoft?

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Its your antivirus.

It uses only 313 mb ram, why do you think it's bitdefenders fault?

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

It uses only 313 mb ram, why do you think it's bitdefenders fault?

Look at its power/CPU usage.

ALSO, AV can cause your OS filesystem caches to bloat insanely, leading to stealth high memory usage.

5 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Nothing out of the ordinary here, try running Malwarebytes, there might be some malware, try that first. Are you running Windows version from some torrent you downloaded or normal version downloaded Microsoft?

I have a normal version of microsoft windows 10 on latest update and after bit defender scan i will run Malwarebytes one

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Look at its power/CPU usage.

I saw that, it's odd, but on his first screenshoot bit defender is not present, so I kinda doubt that it's anti virus issue.

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I saw that, it's odd, but on his first screenshoot bit defender is not present, so I kinda doubt that it's anti virus issue.

The AV can also cause the OS to bloat caches leading to high memory usage that is not reported in the task manager process/detail tabs.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The AV can also cause the OS to bloat caches leading to high memory usage that is not reported in the task manager process/detail tabs.

How can it be fixed or find out if its actually a problem.

Just now, Krup said:

Uninstall bitdefender and look if the issues still exists.

Just now, Krup said:

Uninstall your AV and see if the problem goes away, Windows has built in AV that will take over.

If it doesnt change, just re-install your old AV.

7 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

I kinda blanked on that, you are right, though that's easy to confirm at least.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Uninstall your AV and see if the problem goes away, Windows has built in AV that will take over.

If it doesnt change, just re-install your old AV.

Ok currently just doing full system scan so after that, and this is how it looks doing scan, cpu going from 30% to about 70% going up and down.

task man.png

4 minutes ago, Krup said:

Ok currently just doing full system scan so after that, and this is how it looks doing scan, cpu going from 30% to about 70% going up and down.

task man.png

The AV will proactively scan EVERY file accessed.  Load a game?  It AV scans the file before the game can access it.  Open a web page?  It will AV scan the cached data as it is written to the HDD.

Process Monitor, Process Explorer, and Resource Monitor are some tools from MS that you can use to further chase down resource usage.  PM and PE can be downloaded from MS, RM comes with Windows and can be accessed from the performance tab of task manager.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The AV will proactively scan EVERY file accessed.

Process Monitor, Process Explorer, and Resource Monitor are some tools from MS that you can use to further chase down resource usage.  PM and PE can be downloaded from MS, RM comes with Windows and can be accessed from the performance tab of task manager.

Ok is this any help?res.png.4babd7212f5d4602b85f6f0186a03554.png

6 minutes ago, Krup said:

Ok is this any help?

Vsserv is bit defender and it is eating ~1gb of the total memory allocation.

Filesystem caches do not show up here, well they kinda do.  Looks like ~4gb of cache.

Also, Chrome is known to eat memory for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

30 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Nothing out of the ordinary here, try running Malwarebytes, there might be some malware, try that first. Are you running Windows version from some torrent you downloaded or normal version downloaded from Microsoft?

I did a malwarebytes scan and this is what i got.

mal.png