3 hours car trip with the pc

Frogpuppy
Go to solution Solved by Uptivuptiz,
8 minutes ago, Frogpuppy said:

You mean like that (with motherboard in the bottom) ? That what I'm planning to do and I hope wrapping it with a blanket will be enough

It should be good enough as long as you don't drive like a crazy person :D 

Hi, 

I got a new job in a different city and now I want to transport the pc with me.

I have a heavy gpu with triple fans and a MA610P cooler which is pretty heavy too so I imagine that just putting the pc in the back seat and go is not the best way especially with our bumpy roads.

I haven't take any component off in the past so I don't know much about it and I usually afraid of doing that (don't want to break anything). Tried once to replace the cpu cooler and I just couldn't make it (Yeah I'm that bad ?) So taking off the gpu or the cooler then putting it back in will be a really tough task for me.

One thing I'm thinking of is to warp the whole case with a big heavy blanket, put the pc in the back and tilt the passenger seat so it will keep it steady without much vibrating. Will that be enough to securely moving it?

If you want the PC to be safe while transporting I recommend that you lay the computer in its side so the CPU cooler and GPU is standing upright. This should minimize risk for damage.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wouldn't be overly worried about it. I would just suggest putting it in a position so that the GPU isn't horizontal. Even just having the front or rear of the case facing down would be enough. I do always put the seat belt on it.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

5 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

If you want the PC to be safe while transporting I recommend that you lay the computer in its side so the CPU cooler and GPU is standing upright. This should minimize risk for damage.

3 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I wouldn't be overly worried about it. I would just suggest putting it in a position so that the GPU isn't horizontal. Even just having the front or rear of the case facing down would be enough. I do always put the seat belt on it.

You mean like that (with motherboard in the bottom) ? That what I'm planning to do and I hope wrapping it with a blanket will be enough

9fccd5f6d4f34ab2ba30574df55cf072.jpg

Normally I'd suggest using tie wraps to secure the cooler in place, but it looks like that's going to be hard with that model.

Lay the PC on its side so that the cooler is upright and drive extra carefully

Yeah, lay it flat on the back seat... use the seat belt to keep it there.  Place it on a thick blanket if you have leather or slippery seats.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah, lay it flat on the back seat... use the seat belt to keep it there.  Place it on a thick blanket if you have leather or slippery seats.

Yeah I have a really big and thick blanket. It will be about 3 layers around the pc and with the front seat pushing it back (I think that will hold it better than the seat belt, right?), I hope that will be enough to travel with a peaceful mind 

8 minutes ago, Frogpuppy said:

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Uptivuptiz said:

Not with my pc in the back seat ?

Thank you guys for the help. Knowing that there is a community to ask for help whenever I have a question (doesn't matter how stupid it is) really means A LOT to me.

Thank you all.

I moved from the UK to Denmark with my PC in a car, it was a 16 hour drive across 6 countries. I did nothing more than wedge the PC behind the back seat and everything was fine. If you have a heavy card and CPU cooler (I have water cooling and at the time I moved only a GTX 560) then maybe remove those first or get some of that packing foam that forms to the PC...but a 3 hour drive on the motorway/highway is not going to cause much of an issue unless you drive like shit. 

Your computer doesn't even have a graphics card to take out...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020