60hz IPS vs 144hz TN

forgottherest

Hello guys, hows it going?

My question is which route do I do 60hz ips or 144hz tn? my budget is around $499NZD and I am based in NZ but can buy from amazon,newegg etc. I did come across the veiewsonic xg2402 144hz tn monitor which I have heard is the best tn 144hz monitor and also came across the VG248QE Asus monitor. I plan to have a dual monitor setup and preferably would like to have the same monitors, however budget limits me currently to one monitor, will buy another again. I hardly play games like I used to or interested in them as much as I was. I am currently into learning programing, graphic design, using adobe suite etc but would still play games from time to time. I have visited my local IT parts supplier and found IPS panels to look marvelous.

Gaming Titles I played or plan on playing are in no particular order:

DAYZ

PUBG

GTAV

CSGO

Leaugue

Fortnite

Battlefield

Basically like playing shooters and story based games which I use my ps4 pro connected to my tv for.

Thanks for any advice or input :)

Edit* Sorry, forgot to mention I also have a 1070ti gaming pc rig for which the monitor will be used.

If you're not gaming, go with 60Hz IPS. If you're gaming, get 144Hz TN.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

9 minutes ago, forgottherest said:

-snip-

If color accuracy, contrast, or viewing angles are something you care about, go for the IPS panel.

The IPS panel will look nicer, however for gaming (especially in FPS games), the 144hz monitor will be incredibly smooth.

I personally game on a Dell U2515H (1440p 25" IPS monitor). I find that it's perfectly fine for CS:GO, GTAV, etc... and is way better for color sensitive work (such as photo editing, graphic design, etc...) than a TN monitor.

It really comes down to what you care more about. If having a high quality and accurate monitor is more important than seeing an extra 84 frames per second (assuming your PC gets 144FPS+ in the games you listed), then go with the IPS monitor. If competitive gaming is more important than color accuracy, high contrast ratios, and great viewing angles, then go with the 144hz monitor.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

7 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

He's playing with a PS4 Pro, it only does 60fps.

Get an IPS.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Get an IPS.

Oh lol. Then why is he asking if he should get 144Hz? xD Ther is no point, just get IPS 60 then.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Get an IPS.

Seconded.

I've been running an IPS panel for around 2 years now, I absolutely love it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

19 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Any recommendations on both options?

12 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Get an IPS.

Sorry forgot to mention have updated now I also have 1070ti gaming pc.

10 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Oh lol. Then why is he asking if he should get 144Hz? xD Ther is no point, just get IPS 60 then.

updated bio.

You can probably OC the IPS display to 75hz, which doesn't sound like a very big deal but I can see a fairly noticeable difference between 60hz LCD and 75hz LCD. Some panels will go higher than that but any OC can cause damage over time.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

You can probably OC the IPS display to 75hz, which doesn't sound like a very big deal but I can see a fairly noticeable difference between 60hz LCD and 75hz LCD. Some panels will go higher than that but any OC can cause damage over time.

I do know of this but I would rather stay safe and just get something that has the default settings.

31 minutes ago, forgottherest said:

I do know of this but I would rather stay safe and just get something that has the default settings.

Completely understandable! Sometimes it's worth the risk, sometimes the peace of mind is worth it.

I grabbed one of these on sale from a national chain for $220 a while back and it's a gorgeous display, to use and to look at. The screen kind of just floats in the air and the display looks very nice and is fairly well calibrated out of the box. Running it at 75hz seems to have had no affect on the color/contrast/brightness and it feels pretty silky smooth vs 60hz. I wish I could easily find out the panel it uses so I could try to track down some better specs on it, I know in the past different brands would de-rate the refresh rates of panels for different product lines. I don't know if that's still a thing.

https://www.dell.com/ee/business/p/dell-s2718d-monitor/pd

On 6/13/2019 at 10:14 PM, TheKDub said:

If color accuracy, contrast, or viewing angles are something you care about, go for the IPS panel.

The IPS panel will look nicer, however for gaming (especially in FPS games), the 144hz monitor will be incredibly smooth.

I personally game on a Dell U2515H (1440p 25" IPS monitor). I find that it's perfectly fine for CS:GO, GTAV, etc... and is way better for color sensitive work (such as photo editing, graphic design, etc...) than a TN monitor.

It really comes down to what you care more about. If having a high quality and accurate monitor is more important than seeing an extra 84 frames per second (assuming your PC gets 144FPS+ in the games Theyou listed), then go with the IPS monitor. If competitive gaming is more important than color accuracy, high contrast ratios, and great viewing angles, then go with the 144hz monitor.

hey @TheKDub how does it work without and flicker free or free sync/ g sync? also 60z right? any OC for it?

28 minutes ago, Suspect3d said:

hey @TheKDub how does it work without and flicker free or free sync/ g sync? also 60z right? any OC for it?

My Dell U2515H?

No Freesync or GSync. I do have it overclocked to 80Hz.

Works great, I haven't had any issues with it aside from the power button (capacitive, not a physical button) being a bit iffy, but I let it go to sleep instead of turning it off, so that's not a big deal. I'd buy a second one if Dell was still making them, but sadly they've been discontinued and replaced by the U2518DX which seems to be more issue prone. Hard to find the U2515H for a reasonable price now. I had paid about $300-330 for mine if I remember correctly.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I could suggest a samsung c24fg73 (which I have). The colors are amazing,the blacks are really good, the monitor is beautiful and it can do 144hz. I think it's worth checking it out. Everyone that sees the monitor is like "wow what a picture". I am sure you will be satisfied. :)