How Far Being A Nice Bloke Will Get You?

Unkindness

Story time folks, I was looking to mod a case and needed a spare panel in case I wrecked the only one I had so got on to the case maker to order one. They had none for general sale but had a couple for warranty so if I sent them a S/N they'd send me one. Deadly!

Couple of weeks go by and UPS drop a box to my house. My better half says it was a serious weight but the only thing I had coming was the panel. Low and behold it's a MSI box. Very confusing all together. So I open it and there is two factory sealed RTX 2070 Armour cards!!! I nearly collapsed in my kitchen. I noticed all the delivery stickers are from the case company and the part number for the panel is on the box. Obviously, there had been an error.

So being the upstanding gentleman I try to be, I get in touch with them and let them know what has gone down. They're full of apologises and arrange for collection. They say they're gonna send me a thanks for highlighting the issue and the panel. Some PWM fans and "some other things", they said.

This rolls on to today. Another UPS box turned up. Panel had arrived by regular post a few days ago so must be the "thanks". For returning over €1000 worth of parts, I got 3x 120mm non-PMW fans and 3x 140mm non-PWM fans none of which were boxed but covered in dust and a few marks so can't sell them on or use them in a system I might sell since I don't know their history. Bit disappointed but at least but they're free. I've no use for them but I have them.

Moral of the story: not everyone is a thieving bastard but some people aren't as nice as they make out to be either.

CPU: Intel i-9 9900KF
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill 32GB 3200MHz Sniper X
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060
Case: Fractual Design Define S
Storage: Intel 760p 265GB SSD x2, Intel 760p 1TB SSD
PSU: Aerocool Project 7 650W
Display: ASUS VG278QR
Cooling: Noctua D-15S

Sound: ASUS Strix Soar

4 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

Story time folks, I was looking to mod a case and needed a spare panel in case I wrecked the only one I had so got on to the case maker to order one. They had none for general sale but had a couple for warranty so if I sent them a S/N they'd send me one. Deadly!

Couple of weeks go by and UPS drop a box to my house. My better half says it was a serious weight but the only thing I had coming was the panel. Low and behold it's a MSI box. Very confusing all together. So I open it and there is two factory sealed RTX 2070 Armour cards!!! I nearly collapsed in my kitchen. I noticed all the delivery stickers are from the case company and the part number for the panel is on the box. Obviously, there had been an error.

So being the upstanding gentleman I try to be, I get in touch with them and let them know what has gone down. They're full of apologises and arrange for collection. They say they're gonna send me a thanks for highlighting the issue and the panel. Some PWM fans and "some other things", they said.

This rolls on to today. Another UPS box turned up. Panel had arrived by regular post a few days ago so must be the "thanks". For returning over €1000 worth of parts, I got 3x 120mm non-PMW fans and 3x 140mm non-PWM fans none of which were boxed but covered in dust and a few marks so can't sell them on or use them in a system I might sell since I don't know their history. Bit disappointed but at least but they're free. I've no use for them but I have them.

Moral of the story: not everyone is a thieving bastard but some people aren't as nice as they make out to be either.

If they offered that shit, would of said your bad luck ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

6 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Why cant you sell the fans or use them?

I have a case full of noctuas at the minute and to be honest they're not worth selling. Cheapish fans

4 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

If they offered that shit, would of said your bad luck ?

I know. Thought I'd be looked after a touch better than I was but hey that's life

I think you could have legally kept the cards - I can see why you wouldn't feel right if you had though. And yeah, the fans were "free" but you had the inconvenience of getting your panel late and having to return the cards... not a very good apology.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I think you could have legally kept the cards - I can see why you wouldn't feel right if you had though. And yeah, the fans were "free" but you had the inconvenience of getting your panel late and having to return the cards... not a very good apology.

Yeah I believe I'd have nothing but bad look with either the cards or the money from selling them.

9 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

You can do what I do. Once you get a lot of parts that are not really worth anything sell them off in a big lot of parts.

Its only about €20-30 worth of fans. They're also the fans that come with a case and I already have a stack of coz I replaced them with Noctuas and I couldn't shift them.

I will always try to be a good bloke because it is in my own self interest. I would feel guilty if I didn't send them back and that would be the cost of those GPUs. Also im not the type of guy who is like "Oh well someone else will do X so I will do X anyway". 

3 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I will always try to be a good bloke because it is in my own self interest. I would feel guilty if I didn't send them back and that would be the cost of those GPUs. Also im not the type of guy who is like "Oh well someone else will do X so I will do X anyway". 

Me too. Think we just raised well

6 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

At that price I would say they're worth selling. But I also sell a lot of PC parts here and there.

Maybe put them on gumtree and give them to someone that could use them?

I'll prob give them away for good mojo

It's MSI, they haven't earned the good karma. Given experiences with MSI customer support, I'd have kept the cards as payback. Couldn't say the same for other AIBs though (except Asus)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

It's MSI, they haven't earned the good karma. Given experiences with MSI customer support, I'd have kept the cards as payback. Couldn't say the same for other AIBs though (except Asus)

It wasn't MSI I was dealing with. Was a case company

17 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

It wasn't MSI I was dealing with. Was a case company

Oh then that is a different story

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I actually have made a huge mistake...3x 120 fans are PWM. Changes the whole tone of this write up!

4 hours ago, Unkindness said:

OP

Ass / cheeky bastard opinion: As long as it's a company, not a person, I would keep it, unless I would be contacted about it later.

Had a "similar" experience picking up my order from a retailer's automatic delivery machine. The slot opens and I see my package and another package. Turns out the other thing is a Ubiquiti AP.

Being the nice guy I am I contact the retailer and advise them I will be dropping by their store (on my way to school) to give that back. They thank me, I drop it off, they thank me... and the only thing I get out of it is a bunch of wasted time.

I thought I would get at least a rebate voucher for my next order or something. Just as a token of gratitude.

Does that make a person bad? If I only do good when I expect reward?

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

3 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

Does that really matter? most motherboard can change the speed of none PWM fans these days.

Only if the board has enough headers and has the right headers.

19 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

Ass / cheeky bastard opinion: As long as it's a company, not a person, I would keep it, unless I would be contacted about it later.

Had a "similar" experience picking up my order from a retailer's automatic delivery machine. The slot opens and I see my package and another package. Turns out the other thing is a Ubiquiti AP.

Being the nice guy I am I contact the retailer and advise them I will be dropping by their store (on my way to school) to give that back. They thank me, I drop it off, they thank me... and the only thing I get out of it is a bunch of wasted time.

I thought I would get at least a rebate voucher for my next order or something. Just as a token of gratitude.

Does that make a person bad? If I only do good when I expect reward?

That is bad form alright. I just didnt have it in me to keep them. Yeah selling them, the money would be nice but I have the money I need mostly. I have a 2060 that I'm more than happy with. Just have a guilty personality I guess!

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

I think you could have legally kept the cards - I can see why you wouldn't feel right if you had though. 

I dont think so, a guy in the US (I think) tried this on a massive TV and got prosecuted.

To be fair, he was notified of the error and asked to return the TV, which he didnt do. Maybe if they never notice it would be "ok", but not really ethical.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

11 minutes ago, Taja said:

I dont think so, a guy in the US (I think) tried this on a massive TV and got prosecuted.

To be fair, he was notified of the error and asked to return the TV, which he didnt do. Maybe if they never notice it would be "ok", but not really ethical.

I'm a good few timezones and a few thouand miles away from the company so I doubt there would have been much they could have done. You are right though, not very ethical to keep them.

I get they can't always afford to send you something of excessive value, but sending obviously old stock that won't sell is a bit disrespectful, they should have at least given you a new mouse mat and mug or just something not obviously dead stock. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yeaaaaah I'll be honest here... I would've kept quiet and kept the cards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

58 minutes ago, Taja said:

Really? Didn't know that. It might depend on local laws though - also I guess you'd need to prove in court that the person actually got the object you claim, which is likely easier with a large TV than with a pair of GPUs. I mean you could just flip the cards and say you got an empty box - after all there's no way of proving it wasn't one of their employees being cheeky and trying to steal the cards.

1 hour ago, Taja said:

Maybe if they never notice it would be "ok", but not really ethical.

Meh, that may depend on the circumstances. In this case probably not very ethical, yes. Then again you're not their mom and it's likely that being a retailer chances are they'd take every chance they get to screw you over - if the panel had arrived cracked for instance they'd probably make a fuss and demand you prove you didn't break it yourself.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would have kept the GPUs and still told them nothing ever arrived : )

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

6 minutes ago, RoseLuck462 said:

I would have kept the GPUs and still told them nothing ever arrived : )

he probably had to leave his signature to accept the package so the know it arrived.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, Unkindness said:

You did the right thing, if you feel you didn't get rewarded for your honesty and good character just wait, the universe works in mysterious ways. Sometimes you'll get rewarded right away but sometimes you don't and thats okay. Just have to remember that good deeds are not always rewarded by those who did the good deed for/to, if you helped an elder cross the street they may not thank you, but next thing you know you're at a restaurant and the server brings you a dish for free that they made on accident. Be patient and hopeful, take care.