Green dots all over at 4K 60 Hz

WiiMAN

Hi. I got a new TV, a 55" 2018 Q6F 4K Smart QLED, and connected it to my PC. At 4K 30 Hz it looks fine, but anything above 30 Hz makes the screen fill with a bunch of flickering green dots. Any clues? Using a GTX 950. Won’t game in 4K, I don’t want it to catch on fire, I just want it to look good and smooth for movies. Tried toggling HDR on and off but no difference

91C5DC87-22E2-4F3E-AE7C-2B049B661CBD.jpeg

Is the TV meant to go above 30Hz?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Just now, LtStaffel said:

Is the TV meant to go above 30Hz?

Yes. Heck at 1080p, it can go to 120 with noticeable difference

-nvm- 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

@WiiMAN perhaps your GPU can’t push that 4K 60hz. I mean even a 2080T struggles 

Sure but the specs say it can go a tad over 4K 60 Hz, and I’m not trying to game I’m trying to get a picture in the first place

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

@WiiMAN perhaps your GPU can’t push that 4K 60hz. I mean even a 2080T struggles 

No, the 2080ti doesn't struggle at showing the desktop at 4k 60hz. Even Intel HD graphics 630 can do it at no sweat

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

@WiiMAN perhaps your GPU can’t push that 4K 60hz. I mean even a 2080Ti struggles 

Not gaming, just,desktop. Iirc though some of those older display connector standards simply didn’t support 4K60 so that may be the issue here

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

No, the 2080ti doesn't struggle at showing the desktop at 4k 60hz. Even Intel HD graphics 630 can do it at no sweat

You are right, I confused FPS and hz for a second when responding. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, GrockleTD said:

Not gaming, just,desktop. Iirc though some of those older display connector standards simply didn’t support 4K60 so that may be the issue here

Have you reinstalled Nvidia graphics drivers?

What version is the hdmi/displayport version on the gpu / TV?

HDMI 1.2 doesn't go over 4k 30hz for example.

1 minute ago, WiiMAN said:

Sure but the specs say it can go a tad over 4K 60 Hz, and I’m not trying to game I’m trying to get a picture in the first place

The 950 is an old card and could have something wrong with it. What display cable are you using, might want to try a different cable that is rated for 4k 60hz, if it's an old HDMI it might not be compatible. Try a different cable and check drivers. Maybe even try a different device like a console or dvd player if you have one.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

5 minutes ago, circeseye said:

the 950 has hdmi 2.0 so should be fine...maybe the hdmi cable is sub par. try a different hdmi cable

I got a brand new one, High Speed w/ Ethernet. No dice

The funny thing is, I was using it last night for a bit on 4K 60 Hz and it was working the fine. I haven’t changed anything so I don’t know what’s happening

1 hour ago, Origami Cactus said:

Have you reinstalled Nvidia graphics drivers?

What version is the hdmi/displayport version on the gpu / TV?

HDMI 1.2 doesn't go over 4k 30hz for example.

I checked with Samsung and the TV has HDMI 2.0a

5 minutes ago, WiiMAN said:

I checked with Samsung and the TV has HDMI 2.0a

Have you tried ai different cable?

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Have you tried ai different cable?

Yes, bought a new one today. High speed with Ethernet 

1 minute ago, WiiMAN said:

Yes, bought a new one today. High speed with Ethernet 

mhm. Same problem i presume?

Then try the driver stuff, use DDU and the install nvidia drivers.

Worst case is that your vram is defective on the gpu and it will die soon, but until you haven't tested anything else don't worry about that, even thought it looks very similar to failing vram.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

mhm. Same problem i presume?

Then try the driver stuff, use DDU and the install nvidia drivers.

Worst case is that your vram is defective on the gpu and it will die soon, but until you haven't tested anything else don't worry about that, even thought it looks very similar to failing vram.

Funnily enough, 1080p 120 Hz works flawlessly. Say, does the GPU have to be HDR certified? I've noticed that with it enabled, it makes my PC jump to 4K 60 Hz automatically and practically locking me out with no display. Turning off HDR lets me use it again, but not at 4K 60 Hz. 4K 30 Hz does work

Just now, WiiMAN said:

Funnily enough, 1080p 120 Hz works flawlessly. Say, does the GPU have to be HDR certified? I've noticed that with it enabled, it makes my PC jump to 4K 60 Hz automatically and practically locking me out with no display. Turning off HDR lets me use it again, but not at 4K 60 Hz. 4K 30 Hz does work

Try messing around.

I don't think that the gpu has to be HDR certifed, or if they even certify gpus.

i agree it has to be card or driver issue then if you got that hdmi cable....i myself use a rx590 on a 65" samsung 7000 series and run 4k 60htz fine, even before i used a r9 380 with dp to hdmi 2.0 and 4k 60htz was fine

I’ll try the DDU Origami Cactus recommended and see what happens. If nothing then Samsnug told me to contact NVIDIA support. I’m at work now so I’ll try in 5 1/2 hours from now or so and report back. Thank you all for your suggestions

So update time. I spoke with NVIDIA and we were able to get 4K 60 Hz working. I had to change a setting in NVIDIA Control Panel (I’ll tell you what it was when I get back to my PC, forgot what it was). But we couldn’t get HDR working, having it enabled on the TV makes the TV say “Signal not detected”. Neither NVIDIA or Samsnug support have been able to figure out the cause...

funnily enough, if HDR is enabled before turning on the PC and then I turn it on, I can access the BIOS normally. Looks a bit stretched but it’s viewable with no green snow. The Windows loading screen also shows up normally. But as soon as I get to the Log In screen, the TV loses the signal, often times locking up the PC as well and forcing me to disable HDR and restarting the PC

• 2 months later...
On 5/25/2019 at 4:13 PM, WiiMAN said:

So update time. I spoke with NVIDIA and we were able to get 4K 60 Hz working. I had to change a setting in NVIDIA Control Panel (I’ll tell you what it was when I get back to my PC, forgot what it was). But we couldn’t get HDR working, having it enabled on the TV makes the TV say “Signal not detected”. Neither NVIDIA or Samsnug support have been able to figure out the cause...

funnily enough, if HDR is enabled before turning on the PC and then I turn it on, I can access the BIOS normally. Looks a bit stretched but it’s viewable with no green snow. The Windows loading screen also shows up normally. But as soon as I get to the Log In screen, the TV loses the signal, often times locking up the PC as well and forcing me to disable HDR and restarting the PC

What settings did they have you modify? I'm dealing with this now. 1080 non-ti card at 4k 60hz pink and green dots. Plugged the hdmi into a laptop and didn't get the dots with the same settings. I went through the nvidia control panel and messed with things but can't find the issue.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with my 1080ti. Whenever I use HDMI it gets image problems like the dots, sometimes just won't display. I put it down to a damaged HDMI port on the graphics card. DP adapter works perfectly fine with the same HDMI cable I was using. Could be the HDMI port is damaged.

Honestly, DP is a physically much more robust port and cable, in my experience.

I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.