Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Retro_R

How long do you use your pcs?

I have no problem using an old pc. If it were up to me I'd still have my Q9550 machine, but sadly the PSU in that blew up and that killed the board and ram. 

my current rig the following:

Phenom X4 955

12GB DDR3

R9 290X

it's quite old (cpu is from 2009, gpu is from 2013) but it still plays Overwatch on a mix of high and low settings (for example shadows off) at 1080p 60fps. 

my main laptop is a 2012 13" MacBook Pro, which still does everything I need out of a laptop. I can edit 1080p video on it quite comfortably (noob editing though, just cutting together clips), it does web browsing fine, it does HTML and CSS programming fine.... like I said, old computers are not a problem for me. 

Pansexual | Genderqueer | Linux God | IT Student | MLP Fan

JUST BE YOURSELF

Gaming Rig: Phenom X4 955 @ 3.5 ghz | RX 460 | 12GB RAM | 250GB + 500GB SSD | 850W PSU | Arch Linux

Laptop: HP Elitebook Folio 9470m | I5 3437U | Intel HD 4000 | 1TB SSD | 16GB RAM | Manjaro Linux

Chromebook: Celeron N3060 | Intel HD | 16GB SSD | 4GB RAM | chromeOS

Phone: iPhone 7 | 128GB | iOS

Formerly Known As firelighter487

After relatively short 3-year upgrade cycles, I recently upgraded for the first time after 8 years.

I'll see when the next time will be.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:43 PM, Retro_R said:

I was chatting with someone about console vs pc gaming. He said "Yeah, you can keep a good gaming pc for 10 years" I was very skeptical, since i'm pretty sure no one uses a 10 year old pc (at least for gaming). So, how long do you guys use your pc before an upgrade

10 Years, no not really, net yet? 

If you are talking about very high end, 8-9 can and is done by many. This was only really possible in the 8-9 years through, before that the software outstripped systems far quicker. The GPU has been the part that has caused people to upgrade at this high-end price point. We only relatively recently had games that have actually begun to use more threads than almost 9 year old CPUs. Even GPU wise, a high end gpu from 8 years ago can still be used with modern games. The thing is, the person has to accept the reduction in performance and/or settings as games become more demanding.

I am using a 8 year old system right now to game, its definitely showing its age, but its still holding on, as long as I accept its limitations.

I'd say though, 4-6 seems more reasonable, but really it depends on what price point we are talking about. Whats great about PCs is the ability to upgrade some components over time without needing to replace an entire system.

I recently retired my ~4yo gaming machine, it'd had progressive upgrades over it's lifetime, going from a 4690k/16gb hyperx/gtx 970 to 16gb dominator platinums, to a 1070ti, then a 4790k and 1080ti

1080ti got re-used for my new machine and the old 1070ti went back in, gets used as a folding machine / second gaming machine as it's still perfectly good, just not fast enough in rendering speed anymore. 8700k does me just fine, being about 50% faster.

i also rebuilt my first gaming machine, a a64x2 4200+ based rig, but the cpu popped. replaced the cpu with a 6400+ and the motherboard popped, so i replaced the whole thing with a phenom setup and it sits in the corner for me to play ghostbusters on occasionally. you can see the spec in my sig.

Main: i7-8700k 5GHz1.335//32GB 3200MHz HyperX Predator1.35//Gigabyte Z390 GamingX//MSI 2080Ti Lightning Z//Fractal Kelvin S36//RM850x//Define R6 TG//4K

Secondary: i7-4790k 4.7GHz1.375//32GB 2133MHz Dominator Platinum OC1.65//Asus Z97 PRO GAMER//MSI 1080Ti Gaming X Trio//CM Nepton 240M//RM650//Define R5 TG//1440p

TV/HTPC: i3-8350k 5GHz1.335//16GB 3200MHz Vengeance LPX OC1.35//Asus Prime Z370M-Plus II//MSI 1070Ti Titanium Edition//Antec Kuhler 240//RM550x//Define Mini-C//4K(1440p)

Laptop: i7-8750H//32GB 2666MHz Samsung//Asus FX705GM-EV101T//HM370//GTX 1060 6GB//1080p

Car:

2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI coupé - "Meteor Grey". White leather, Manual. 303hp. 245/40R18. EBC Yellow Brakes.

Before I got into building my own PCs... whenever someone would buy me a new one.

Now I usually do some kind of upgrades every two years.

First PC, 2015.  AMD Athlon X4 860K and GTX 780

Second PC, 2017, AMD Ryzen 5 1500X and (eventually) a RX 480 I got for $90.

Now it's 2019.  I originally just wanted a CPU upgrade, but my 480 failed on me, and I wanted a better mobo, so (once it gets here), it'll be a Ryzen 7 2700 and RX 590.

Desktop: Outlive:CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire | RAM: XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB DDR4 3000MHz | MOBO: ASRock B450M Pro4 | GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 590 | Storage: Inland Professional 256GB PCIe 2x NVMe SSD, Crucial 512GB SSD, WD Blue 2TB HDD, Seagate 2TB HDD | PSU: Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 750W | Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 | Keyboard: Logitech G810 | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Monitor: HP Omen 25 | 2nd Monitor: HP 25vx | 3rd Monitor: Asus VW199T-P | Speakers: Logitech Z313 | Headset: Logitech G230

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 7559:CPU: Intel Core i5 6300HQ | RAM: 16GB DRR3L | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 4GB | Storage: ADATA 1TB SSD | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Headset: Turtle Beach ZLa

HTPC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G |  | RAM: 8GB Team T-Force Vulcan DDR4 2800MHz | MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac | Storage: SanDisk 240GB SSD w/Seagate 1TB SSHD | PSU: Powerman 350W | Case: AZZA CSAZ-103 Black

Lately I might play Skyrim SE a few times per week, not a lot. I watch a lot of youtube videos, keep current on social media, look for and read books (mostly RPGs) and on weekends my son plays some Fortnite, Roblocks, Sonic games and lately Undertale (Of all things) so my current rig is mostly overkill.

I might pick up games here and there that peak my interest but I spend far more time with videos, music and work, social media, news, etc. Definitively gaming quite a bit less nowadays so I feel like the 10 years quote could be accurate for my current rig. Note that I say could be because I still enjoy building so I will probably update before that but not cause I need to.

And in the past I also keep some rigs for a good 6 to 8 years mostly because I was completely broke and my rigs consisted on getting a shitty prebuild from Walmart and then just dropping in an AGP card: I did most on my gaming on beefed up e-machines rigs for most of the 00s though it was like 2 rigs basically.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I tend to upgrade my cpu motherboard gpu every 2 to 3 years. I like to stay up to date with the latest stuff.

I just built my first PC last weekend.  Well it's not quite finished yet.  I went a little (really a lot) overboard on the components.  It has a Core i9-9900K, Gigabyte - Z390 UD, 32 GB (4 X 8  )  Corsair - Vengeance LPX, DDR4-3200 Memory, a 500 GB SSD, and an 8 TB HD.  I am not much of a gamer which is why these components are significantly more than I need.  I was initially going to use the integrated graphics but decided that would be silly.  I think I will try to get into gaming.  I'm retired without kids so what else do I have to do?  After a little research, I decided on a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060.  I figure that should do a decent job for at least a few years.  If I find I want more performance, I can upgrade the GPU in a few years.  I don't think I will need to upgrade anything else on this rig for quite a long time.  But since I built it, I know I can upgrade it.  Oh but that RTX 2060 is quite frustrating right now.

I had a choice of places to order from, but Amazon was tied for the lowest price and GUARANTEED me free next day delivery.  That was on Thursday, guaranteed to be delivered by 9 pm on Friday.  At 9:30 Amazon said there was a problem with the shipping, but don't worry we'll get it to you by Thursday 6/20.  If I didn't have it by the 6/21, come back and they would take care of me.  That was obviously unacceptable and I called them, but I was told the shipping company "Laser Ship" had closed at 9:30 and the woman couldn't find out the problem.  I called back  yesterday and found out Amazon had screwed up and hadn't been able to get the package to the shipping company.  She promised me I will have it on Wed.  I said I would like to cancel the order and she said, I couldn't because it had already shipped.  I said, you just told me you haven't given it to the shipper yet, it hasn't shipped.  We went back and forth like that for a little bit.  "Shipped" I don't think that word means what you think it means..."  We have some disagreements about the definition of "guaranteed" as well.  Lesson learned.  When I first ordered my components, I ordered the majority from NewEgg. They promised me shipping in 3 to 5 days and had everything there the next day.  

So for the next few days at least, I will be rocking the most high powered PC without a discrete graphics card.  Or at least one of them.

I was chatting with someone about console vs pc gaming. He said "Yeah, you can keep a good gaming pc for 10 years" I was very skeptical, since i'm pretty sure no one uses a 10 year old pc (at least for gaming). So, how long do you guys use your pc before an upgrade

My current machine was built in 2013, I got an Ivy Bridge chip which was on it way out, as Haswell as released not long after I bought this chip. I still use the machine every day, mostly to watch videos, but I do occasionally still game on my PC. Only upgrades I did was more ram and a bigger SSD when my first one died. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

I upgrade my PCs rapidly, but it's just upgrades. There's still parts in my PC from my original 2014 build (namely, the hard drives)

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire AMD RX VEGA 64 | Define C TG | Corsair CX550M | Cooler Master Hyper 212 BLACK RGB

Pacific Spirit XT (CPU signed by Dennis!) (Planned)

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ (Taobao Special) | Asus Q87M | 8GB Kingston DDR3-1333 | MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 3.0 | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Interesting question with a complicated answer--bear with me!

I get a "new" one every couple of years. Usually it's a hand-me-down from other people in my family. I have a laptop and desktop, and whenever I replace my laptop, I hand it off to my grandparents so they can live in somewhat of the present. My old desktop just gets turned into a server or is stored in my basement for the rest of eternity.

Upgrading components every year or so. It's an ongoing process.

Intel i7 8700K - RTX 2080 OC - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - 970 Evo Plus 250GB m.2 - 970 Evo 1TB m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming Wifi Mobo - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair SP120 Quiet - 3 x Corsair ML120 - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync

I use to do every 2 years for pc every 2 years for laptop offset of eachother so id have something new every year... but not anymore... pc is 4years old (swapped pc case for cosmetics added more storage but rest same)... and i've been on surface 4 since it came out. 

thinking about upgrading  this year one of them but dont really feel like i have to. might just upgrade my 970gpu and call it a day

Around 5 years for desktops, but more frequent with laptops because back when I was hauling them around all day as a student they all slowly fell apart. 

My i5-4670k, GTX760 build is getting replaced with a Zen2 build soon. Looking at a RTX2080 unless the super series ends up going for the same price or AMD drops pricing on Radeon VII.

I'v got some 10 year parts in PC.

Just went up to 3 core 2 quad systems. (all need to be tested configured right then hopefully all sold off)

I've got core 2 duos that have been gamed on.

A first gen i5 or i7 is almost 10 years old and they still do well.

A 2600K or 2700K are 8.5 years old and until last year weren't far behind a 7700K.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between midday and midnight.

NightHawk: i5 6600k @4.1, ASUS Z170m-plus, H105, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, Strix GTX 970 XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 250gb 750 evo and 5tb Toshiba x300

My compute server (remember to add link) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work :)

WIP NAS Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU White list:

Spoiler

I love to fly 

Spoiler

How to get PC parts cheap 

Spoiler

Honestly my first PC I built around 8 years ago would still do okay at medium settings now at 1080p, it's not unheard of.

That being said, I work in game development so I have to keep pretty up to date with my hardware.

I upgrade the GPU ever three years or so, cpu/motherboard upgrade with ram/psu if neccessary every 6 years or so. I change my case whenever I get bored with my current one, and storage/cooling get upgraded as needed. I'm on my fourth case in the last six years, but I really like my current Corsair 570x so I think this one will stick longer than average. My 6700k still has plenty of life left, especially since the generational improvents from Intel havn't been very significant ipc-wise. I might upgrade when AMD's 4000 series comes out. 3000 series looks super promising so I can't wait to see what they do next.

GPU wise, i think the iterations are smaller, i might burn too two GPU´s in a setup...

im rocking a fairly new 8700k 1080ti setup at the moment, came from a 4790k that were a 3570k before, and a I5 750 all bought close to launch so that was my itterations... 

I5 750

then it becomes a but fluffy, what i had...

AMD64 at a point

2600XP barton in a Shuttle case also at some point

Mobile 479 socket cpu 1.6@2.8 in a 478 board with a converter (best CPU i ever had, single core won everything)

Pentium 3 450mhz

pentium 2 233mhz

Pentium 133mhz

486/60

386/40

And i guess that was the oldest one.