sony and microsoft join together .... end of physical gaming ?

sohail14

microsoft and sony join to make cloud stream gaming so sony just give up that feauture gaming is cloud ? what about pc gaming and pc hardware ? what about consoles ? this is end 

Everything you just said is an exaggeration. PC gaming and PC hardware aren't going anywhere. Consoles are staying too, there's no reason to end those devices.

Hot take, but I firmly believe this newfound Microsoft and Sony partnership is to compete with Google Stadia which is cloud streaming.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Rip me lol didn't notice this 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, seoz said:

Everything you just said is an exaggeration. PC gaming and PC hardware aren't going anywhere. Consoles are staying too, there's no reason to end those devices.

Hot take, but I firmly believe this newfound Microsoft and Sony partnership is to compete with Google Stadia which is cloud streaming.

if google or sony/micro was based on subscription serive like you just pay monthly and get all games free , no one can buy hardware right ? hardware sale become down 

7 minutes ago, sohail14 said:

if google or sony/micro was based on subscription serive like you just pay monthly and get all games free , no one can buy hardware right ? hardware sale become down 

Well no, because not everyone will move over to Google Stadia. Steam is a thing on PC, I'll certainly stay on Steam because I don't believe in cloud gaming yet.

I don't like subscription-based services like Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus even if I do get games free, I'm not paying £50 a month just to play online with friends.

7 minutes ago, seoz said:

Well no, because not everyone will move over to Google Stadia. Steam is a thing on PC, I'll certainly stay on Steam because I don't believe in cloud gaming yet.

I don't like subscription-based services like Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus even if I do get games free, I'm not paying £50 a month just to play online with friends.

actually im confused , if they give free games how the game creators earn money ?

9 minutes ago, sohail14 said:

actually im confused , if they give free games how the game creators earn money ?

because people pay $50 a month

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

because people pay $50 a month

what if 20$ ? possible

13 minutes ago, sohail14 said:

I don't fully understand how it works and am in no position to explain it since I never used the free games since they were always low-quality indie games with the rare good one such as Driveclub or Until Dawn.

You have to remember that these game creators should have other games up for sale so having one of their older games go free will be good for exposure rather than profit. I often found free games were games that were released over a year ago so they were well past their prime time. You'll never see the latest AAA game as a free game unless it's been out for a while and is not generating as much sales as it used to, but again, I don't fully understand how this system works.

I can't remember if this is a thing with every game, but often these free games were 'PS+ Editions' where if you wanted all the features, you had to buy the full version.

Additionally, you'll lose these free games if your subscription expires, I experienced this first-hand when my PlayStation Plus subscription expired last month.

4 minutes ago, seoz said:

I don't fully understand how it works and am in no position to explain it since I never used the free games since they were always low-quality indie games with the rare good one such as Driveclub or Until Dawn.

You have to remember that these game creators should have other games up for sale so having one of their older games go free will be good for exposure rather than profit. I often found free games were games that were released over a year ago so they were well past their prime time. You'll never see the latest AAA game as a free game unless it's been out for a while and is not generating as mcuh sales as it used to, but again, I don't fully understand how this system works.

I can't remember if this is a thing with every game, but often these free games were 'PS+ Editions' where if you wanted all the features, you had to buy the full version.

Additionally, you'll lose these free games if your subscription expires, I experienced this first-hand when my PlayStation Plus subscription expired last month.

ad based service possible ? 

@sohail14

Your thread was moved out of the Tech News section as it doesn't follow posting guidelines.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-posting-guidelines-read-before-posting/

Since the news was reposted in a way that follows the guidelines, that will be the official News thread, since merging them would cause issues.

If you edit your thread to follow the guidelines, it can be moved back.

Until then, the News thread that will stay up will be this one ;

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1064640-microsoft-and-sony-team-up/

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

39 minutes ago, seoz said:

Consoles are staying too

For now. I wouldn't be surprised if PS6 has an ultra cheap version that is basically cloud gaming (a la NVIDIA Shield). They might still need to provide a console that can process graphics for those that do not have the internet bandwidth to play cloud gaming, but by the time that PS6 is out, it shouldn't be too many.

In the future, the only reason to have a device that processes the games locally is just to be competitive (or enthusiastic). Casual players will just transition to cloud-based gaming as it will be a lot cheaper, which means a better value proposition for them.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

1 minute ago, Nocte said:

In the future, the only reason to have a device that processes the games locally is just to be competitive (or enthusiastic). Casual players will just transition to cloud-based gaming as it will be a lot cheaper, which means a better value proposition for them.

Bandwidth is my main concern. I'm in no position to use an Ethernet cable as my house has the wiring of a stone age shack, so I'm stuck with my 802.11ac 5GHz band Wi-Fi capped at 60Mbps. The UK is a weird place.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be up and curious to try cloud gaming and for the most part, and for the most part, games that I play that aren't first-person shooters don't require the lowest of latencies so it might be doable. For context, I get 60-90ms ping in any given competitive Counter-Strike: Global Offensive game.

I'd also be curious as to if there will be any subscription services as OP mentioned, that would kill Google Stadia for me straight-up.

1 hour ago, seoz said:

Bandwidth is my main concern. I'm in no position to use an Ethernet cable as my house has the wiring of a stone age shack, so I'm stuck with my 802.11ac 5GHz band Wi-Fi capped at 60Mbps. The UK is a weird place.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be up and curious to try cloud gaming and for the most part, and for the most part, games that I play that aren't first-person shooters don't require the lowest of latencies so it might be doable. For context, I get 60-90ms ping in any given competitive Counter-Strike: Global Offensive game.

I'd also be curious as to if there will be any subscription services as OP mentioned, that would kill Google Stadia for me straight-up.

I mean, 5G might be able to solve a lot of issues that cables have. Still, I was cautious and said that they might still need to provide a hardware "beefy" alternative as we are just speculating. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

I agree with @seoz . I think this might be a way for you to store your games remotely and access them with any capable device over a capable network. Perhaps, just like a video Linus did awhile ago, it may even be that the games you play are rendered on a remote PC and you stream the game play to your console or lower spec PC at home. Just my two cents here, all speculation, may not even be close to the plans they have.

Just wait and see what it is.

From what I've heard so far its looking like M$ is only Hosting Sonys Playstation now. Maybe a new Version of that?

As you also know, Sony already has some kind of Streaming Service that allows the installation of some PS2 and also PS4 Games. PS3 not at this time (maybe with PS5?)

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Unless every square meter of this planet will have an idividual sattelite, they can kiss my ass. I can't even have a convo while driving without losing signal and they want to stream games and charge me money?? haha, gtfo.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 11:42 AM, sohail14 said:

No not every one will move of to these services. Keep in mind you do need a decent internet connection and not every one has access to one. Plus I would assume data usage would be higher with this type of service, which is fine expect major ISP's like Comcast, AT&T, COX, etc all have data caps, maybe not thru their entire foot print, but I can tell you from personal experience Comcast's Central US territory is capped at 1 TB. I would assume that 4K gaming would eat up about as much as 4K movies if not more. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 5/17/2019 at 5:38 PM, seoz said:

I agree. There will always be a market for one-stop gaming solutions with media player functionality that doesn't look weird in the living room.

Cloud streaming games will only ever work if network coverage and server access can be consistently guaranteed. As long as that remains a problem with authentication servers, I can't see console gaming as we know it being supplanted by a service that requires far more than just a short connection.

41 minutes ago, EldritchMoose said:

I agree. There will always be a market for one-stop gaming solutions with media player functionality that doesn't look weird in the living room.

Cloud streaming games will only ever work if network coverage and server access can be consistently guaranteed. As long as that remains a problem with authentication servers, I can't see console gaming as we know it being supplanted by a service that requires far more than just a short connection.

You forgot to add the end of Data caps. Because Im pretty sure gaming at 4K will eat a shit ton of data. Thats the biggie in my opinion that will hold back any type of Cloud gaming. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

You forgot to add the end of Data caps. Because Im pretty sure gaming at 4K will eat a shit ton of data. Thats the biggie in my opinion that will hold back any type of Cloud gaming. 

gaming at 1080p ?

4 hours ago, sohail14 said:

gaming at 1080p ?

Well considering 3 adults in my home use almost 1 TB of data just streaming videos. Gaming would put us over. 

My take is that the biggest limiting factor is going to be infrastructure. Currently and for the foreseeable future there is too large of a population that will not have the capability to be served by these game streaming services. You will see this roll out during the PS5 era, but unless the infrastructure takes improves significantly they will leave too many customers unserved and therefore too much money on the table to see a switch over by the end of the consoles life cycle. There will likely still be a PS6, but seems likely that there won't be a PS7.

Related, because of digital sales numbers, I think we will see discless versions of PS5 similar to the recent xboxOne S, but there will still be a disc based version. Assuming game streaming isn't widely adopted, the PS6 is unlikely to have any optical disc drive. I could see the XboxTwo being the last major console by Microsoft if they think the stream model is viable enough.

Fuck cloud gaming, i'll always want my own hardware.