First Person View RC Car Racing!!

jakkuh_t

Jake and Linus build a proof of concept VR RC Car racing setup for use at LTX 2019!

Buy DJI Goggles: 
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KVXd

Buy DJI OcuSync:
On DJI's Site: https://lmg.gg/8KVXy

Buy Thrustmaster Wheels:
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KVXs

PS. We now know the resistance of the potentiometers SHOULDN'T have mattered. They're used as voltage dividers, so even if the resistance is different, it should have worked fine. In testing though, when using the stock pedal's pots, we'd either have 0 or 100% throttle and nothing in between - hence why we tried to use matching pots.

As this is just a proof of concept, basically just to figure out if this is as cool as we imagined (and it is), we just needed the car to accelerate and brake in a controllable manner. The rest will be figured out for the actual final build. :D

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

You guys have too much time on your hands

hack one of those fpv racing drones maybe ? XD 

here is how to do it from scratch

made using two Arduino MKR wifi 1010
an old PS1 steering wheel and a 35 year old RC car.
the project is fully open source:
supports:

up to 85 channels(bidirectional)

multidirectional and multipart tx (meaning headtracking, two people controlling the functions of one vehicle etc.)
range extendable with a plain wifi router
same ultralow latency (for controls) as readily available systems
files are posted here free to download: https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-91965/l/episode-391-first-person-view-rc-car-with-ps1-steering-whee?ICID=e14-presents-videos

the plan is to turn this into a kit peole can buy.

if you need help to deploy it a LTX, hit me up.

That is a pretty awesome video guys.  This is like ... the RC Bandito in GTA online but in real life so much much better. ...  YOu know what has to down the line ... a drone, RC plane or quadcopter. 

Fun video.  I dig it.  I did something similar off road with my truck here (though it is just a recording, not driven that way).

This is the body that was used, which may make things easier for you, but it is discontinued, so may require some ebay'ing.  But as you can see, on bumpy stuff, it also adds some shake by using the body as the mounting point.

https://www.hobbytown.com/proline-blockbuster-video-body-clear-slash-slash-4x4-sc10-pro3426-00/p298360

1 hour ago, jakkuh_t said:

PS. We now know the resistance of the potentiometers SHOULDN'T have mattered. They're used as voltage dividers, so even if the resistance is different, it should have worked fine. In testing though, when using the stock pedal's pots, we'd either have 0 or 100% throttle and nothing in between - hence why we tried to use matching pots.

Well, that depends on how the remaining circuit is designed. A voltage divider works well unless you are drawing too much current from it (in which case the "created" voltage will change noticeably with the load). This can be remedied using a smart circuit design.
It is also important to know that using a voltage divider will result in a permanent current flow over both resistors to ground, so having resistors with small values will lead to larger power losses.

Now imagine if you guys had the outdoor space - you could cobble up a small race track (think Baja style with jumps) get 4 of these rigs together and do FPV VR racing. Or demolition derby style with a figure-8 and beefed up shells on the cars.

Another idea - take the speed limiter off and do drag strip runs with a 1/4 mile track at the same scale as the car and some RGB's for the "xmas tree"

With a big enough outdoor space you could probably even do a banking oval for some NASCAR or Indy Car stuff.

The craziest idea though - do this on a mobility scooter and sit in it... with the speed limit boosted to 45mph. VR DRIVING VR CRAZY VRNOT DRUNK LOL

Fun to watch this video, and to see how occusync really performs.

I'll be bringing down my FPV gear to LTX to show you guys aswell.

My recommendation would be to use the Traxxas Stampede 4x4. It’s clear, but just have main components like setvos and etc. so you implement your own steering system.

maby just replace the control unit with raspberrypi 0w for wifi an cam

looks fantastic.

I'd try and keep it simple, in terms of numbers of cars. Especially considering all the upkeep required. I'd also consider 3d printing a case, so if the car rolls, components are not damaged.

FYI you can get receivers that plug into TVs etc, so people can watch while in line.

IMO your biggest challenge is going to be batteries. Work out how many races you can have in the battery life and how long it takes to charge. It sounds like the traxxis batteries are proprietary? Can you parallel charge?

6 hours ago, pooh1234166 said:

maby just replace the control unit with raspberrypi 0w for wifi an cam

latency

I was really looking forward to see this video but Jake just can't help himself being so obnoxious it's really hard to not close this window and look for something else ¬¬