packet loss driving me crazy

pepedankfrog

i'm suffering from really bad packet loss in game, keeps spiking up latency then stabilising for a few seconds to lag again. I'm currently connected to the internet through wireless adapter. I have used wireless all my time of having a PC and it has  never been this bad. I'm not sure if it's my internet provider or my computer hardware causing the problem. A lot of people have said to "use a wired connection" but what, run a cable all the way downstairs to my wifi router and connect a cable like that?

please, any help, games are so unplayable rn

if you need more info please ask 

4 minutes ago, pepedankfrog said:

A lot of people have said to "use a wired connection" but what, run a cable all the way downstairs to my wifi router and connect a cable like that?

Well, yes.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

do you understand how inefficent that is, to have a wire in the middle of my staircase just for a wifi cable ffs if this is the only fix then fuck that

3 minutes ago, pepedankfrog said:

do you understand how inefficent that is, to have a wire in the middle of my staircase just for a wifi cable ffs if this is the only fix then fuck that

why not try it and see if it helps. If it does, you can run it through your walls. Otherwise your isp is likely the issue.

2 minutes ago, pepedankfrog said:

do you understand how inefficent that is, to have a wire in the middle of my staircase

Smarter people would use cable raceways to run the cable, instead of running it in the middle of one's staircase. Another option would be to buy some more wireless access-points or invest into a mesh-system.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why not try it and see if it helps. If it does, you can run it through your walls. Otherwise your isp is likely the issue.

im most certain it is, it was quite stable before i changed

i dont know why it's suddenly getting so bad all of the sudden

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Smarter people would use cable raceways to run the cable, instead of running it in the middle of one's staircase. Another option would be to buy some more wireless access-points or invest into a mesh-system.

smarter people would know that it will still take up a lot of space lmao just for a wire is not worth the effort but k

5 minutes ago, pepedankfrog said:

smarter people would know that it will still take up a lot of space lmao just for a wire is not worth the effort but k

A lot of space? Looke here, I've got a cable going upstairs myself:

IMG_20190514_213557.jpg.c09483e670272227cb9321b1052928a7.jpg

Don't use a cable, if you really so insist, but it's not as huge an issue as you make it out to be.

48 minutes ago, pepedankfrog said:

I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest that you run a wire in the middle of your staircase. Not sure where you would get that idea from. There are all sorts of ways to run cables properly without getting that silly about it.

And in terms of "efficiency", I don't think that word means what you think it means.

My wifi connection at home gives me a download speed of around 70mbps. My wired connection at home gives me a download speed of around 370mbps. Which of these would you say is the most efficient method of transferring data (and by a large margin)?

Try using a cable either by running one or moving your pc closer at least to test if wifi is the issue

19 hours ago, pepedankfrog said:

i'm suffering from really bad packet loss in game, keeps spiking up latency then stabilising for a few seconds to lag again. I'm currently connected to the internet through wireless adapter. I have used wireless all my time of having a PC and it has  never been this bad. I'm not sure if it's my internet provider or my computer hardware causing the problem. A lot of people have said to "use a wired connection" but what, run a cable all the way downstairs to my wifi router and connect a cable like that?

please, any help, games are so unplayable rn

if you need more info please ask 

Your issue is most likely due to the introduction of Wireless interference, if it is constant and never goes away most likely someone is stepping on your toes (wifi channel). Is is fee sable to test with wired connection to rule out router, ISP issue move your pc downstairs and try it. 

If the issues goes away hardwired, try changing your Wireless channel. Make sure Long Preamble is turned on and if you can control your beacon interval try dropping it down below 100ms down to about 50ms this will help stabilize your wireless connection. 

Is your router in the middle of the house placed high up? The stronger the signal from your router you can get the better will will be able to overcome interference.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's