Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DrMacintosh

Supreme Court Allows Anti-Trust Lawsuit Against the App Store

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

All justices cast a vote on the case. I already explained why I singled him out. 

You didn't even need to explain. When referencing a legal case it is common practice to reference the judge who delivers the majority and minority rules rather than every judge on each side. If I were writing a paper on Engel vs Vitale would I then have to mention specifically that Honorable Judges Black, Warren, Douglas, Clark, Harlan, and Brennan held the opinion that reciting a government written prayer in a public school was an unconstitutional violation of the 1st amendments guarantees to freedom of religious practice? No. Thats stupid. I would explain that Honorable Judge Black's majority stated that blah blah blah.

 

I personally think the quotes around honorable do little to add to the conversation other than to stir up the salt you have already felt the brunt of, but people are just being triggered because you're a Californian and they are assuming you're some easily triggered millennial Starbucks liberal hippie to poke fun at like everybody does outside of the liberal west when they see a Californian 🤷‍♂️.


Main PC: AMD Ryzen 1700 (8c/16t), MSI B350 Tomahawk, NDH 15, T-Force Delta RGB 16GB, Asus ROG STRIX RX-580, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crucial MX-300 1.05TB, 8TB WD Red/White, Corsair CX 750

School Laptop: Early 2014 Macbook Air. Intel i5-4260U, 4GB RAM, 128GB Apple PCI-E SSD, Intel HD Graphics 5000

Phone: iPhone XS Max 64GB: A12 Bionic. 4GB RAM, 6.5-inch 2,688 x 1,242 OLED, 3,174 mAh 

Wearables: Sony 1000XM2

Random devices in various stages of working: Dell Inspiron 1000 (Works perfect other than battery), Late 2008 Macbook Aluminum Unibody (For Sale), Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

 

Spoiler

"Love is a bitch with a blindfold"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yes, excessive government regulation.

You should move north of the border if you want to see what "excessive government regulation" looks like 😂.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thorhammerz said:

You should move north of the border if you want to see what "excessive government regulation" looks like 😂.

I could move to the burning shit storm that is Commiefornia.


Please be aware that there may be visual artifacts left behind by the beta testing phase of development. If you see any such artifacts, we recommend that you do not interact with them; we'll weed them out eventually. There's no guarantee that we'll weed them out eventually.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Yes, excessive government regulation.

 

Not really. Your point, taken at face value, is the US' population is denser, end of story.

Pretty much that is all there is to it,  higher density means more customers means faster ROI.

 

Quote

When that's only true of a handful of places that are shotgunned across the country.

Even if it is only true in one place, it still proves it's true.  Just because arid deserts don't have enough people to pay for more ISP's doesn't change the fact that your heavily populated areas do.   If you live in a truly capitalist democratic country then why are there only two options?

 

Quote

 

And going off of your history, reading into your arguments at anything beyond face value is a waste of my time.

why's that?

 

5 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

You didn't even need to explain. When referencing a legal case it is common practice to reference the judge who delivers the majority and minority rules rather than every judge on each side. If I were writing a paper on Engel vs Vitale would I then have to mention specifically that Honorable Judges Black, Warren, Douglas, Clark, Harlan, and Brennan held the opinion that reciting a government written prayer in a public school was an unconstitutional violation of the 1st amendments guarantees to freedom of religious practice? No. Thats stupid. I would explain that Honorable Judge Black's majority stated that blah blah blah.

 

I personally think the quotes around honorable do little to add to the conversation other than to stir up the salt you have already felt the brunt of, but people are just being triggered because you're a Californian and they are assuming you're some easily triggered millennial Starbucks liberal hippie to poke fun at like everybody does outside of the liberal west when they see a Californian 🤷‍♂️.

 

I'm Australian, I don't care about California or any other specific part of the US,  When someone says that judge A had the deciding vote and the reality is they were always going  to vote for, then no, that judge did not have the deciding vote.  The deciding vote has to have been the last voter to tip the result.   

 

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and unless you have some sort of objective high ground then calling others opinions as salty is somewhat a salty post.


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

This might be okay in some countries, but in many places in the US, for example, there is effectively one choice of ISP.

 

Canada has a bit better rules when it comes to forcing the incumbents to allow third parties to resell access, but even then there are limitations, such as the third party companies not having access to the same speeds, etc.

 

I'm not sure why there is contention over a comparitive/analogous  point... 😝

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mr moose said:

I'm Australian, I don't care about California or any other specific part of the US,  When someone says that judge A had the deciding vote and the reality is they were always going  to vote for, then no, that judge did not have the deciding vote.  The deciding vote has to have been the last voter to tip the result.   

 

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and unless you have some sort of objective high ground then calling others opinions as salty is somewhat a salty post.

As I explained, it is common in the US to refer to the majority presenter solely when citing the majority in a court case. Kavanaugh delivered the majority opinion, thus you would refer to him. This is why Dr. Macintosh specifically called out Kavanaugh. He is a controversial man, yes, but is a judge first and foremost.


Main PC: AMD Ryzen 1700 (8c/16t), MSI B350 Tomahawk, NDH 15, T-Force Delta RGB 16GB, Asus ROG STRIX RX-580, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crucial MX-300 1.05TB, 8TB WD Red/White, Corsair CX 750

School Laptop: Early 2014 Macbook Air. Intel i5-4260U, 4GB RAM, 128GB Apple PCI-E SSD, Intel HD Graphics 5000

Phone: iPhone XS Max 64GB: A12 Bionic. 4GB RAM, 6.5-inch 2,688 x 1,242 OLED, 3,174 mAh 

Wearables: Sony 1000XM2

Random devices in various stages of working: Dell Inspiron 1000 (Works perfect other than battery), Late 2008 Macbook Aluminum Unibody (For Sale), Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

 

Spoiler

"Love is a bitch with a blindfold"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

As I explained, it is common in the US to refer to the majority presenter solely when citing the majority in a court case. Kavanaugh delivered the majority opinion, thus you would refer to him. This is why Dr. Macintosh specifically called out Kavanaugh. He is a controversial man, yes, but is a judge first and foremost.

Indeed - procedure and tradition. Though those who disagree politically with the OP will often use that as a "Gotcha!" to try and show bias. Though the OP did show some bias (quotation marks, for example), some bias is human nature. As long as he tried to minimize his bias, that's the important factor.


For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

As I explained, it is common in the US to refer to the majority presenter solely when citing the majority in a court case. Kavanaugh delivered the majority opinion, thus you would refer to him. This is why Dr. Macintosh specifically called out Kavanaugh. He is a controversial man, yes, but is a judge first and foremost.

Mentioning the majority presenter is fine, in fact leading with the majority presenter is more important in many ways because we need too know where the case is coming from.  My issue was naming him as the deciding vote.  He was always going to vote in favor,  so the deciding vote had to have been one of the other four judges.   The issue is presentation of the facts that rely what is happening without heavily insinuating the outcome was due to something more biased.

 

For all we know the other judges are all just as biased in this and have taken their sides ignoring due process.


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@DrMacintosh @SenpaiKaplan

I think I may have fatally misinterpreted something...

Did the supreme Court decide that the supreme Court would hear the case, or did the supreme Court decide that lower courts would have to hear the case as opposed to it being blocked?


H440 Red+Black | i7 5820k | MSI r9 280x 3G | MSI x99a sli plus | Corsair h115i + Noctua ippc 3000 pwm fans | 1tb + 240 gb intel ssd | 4x4 gb Corsair Lpx 2400

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Crossbred said:

@DrMacintosh @SenpaiKaplan

I think I may have fatally misinterpreted something...

Did the supreme Court decide that the supreme Court would hear the case, or did the supreme Court decide that lower courts would have to hear the case as opposed to it being blocked?

I don't think the Supreme court can force a lower court to hear a case. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing they can do is either hear the case themselves, or decline to intervene at all.


For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Crossbred said:

@DrMacintosh @SenpaiKaplan

I think I may have fatally misinterpreted something...

Did the supreme Court decide that the supreme Court would hear the case, or did the supreme Court decide that lower courts would have to hear the case as opposed to it being blocked?

The supreme court decided that they would hear it. As Dalek said, the supreme court cannot order a lower court to hear a case.


Main PC: AMD Ryzen 1700 (8c/16t), MSI B350 Tomahawk, NDH 15, T-Force Delta RGB 16GB, Asus ROG STRIX RX-580, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crucial MX-300 1.05TB, 8TB WD Red/White, Corsair CX 750

School Laptop: Early 2014 Macbook Air. Intel i5-4260U, 4GB RAM, 128GB Apple PCI-E SSD, Intel HD Graphics 5000

Phone: iPhone XS Max 64GB: A12 Bionic. 4GB RAM, 6.5-inch 2,688 x 1,242 OLED, 3,174 mAh 

Wearables: Sony 1000XM2

Random devices in various stages of working: Dell Inspiron 1000 (Works perfect other than battery), Late 2008 Macbook Aluminum Unibody (For Sale), Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

 

Spoiler

"Love is a bitch with a blindfold"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Apple were to lose this, their devices would be better, period. That's about 50% of the reason I switched to Android. Also, as someone who disliked the Wii until I home brewed it and it ended up becoming my favorite console of all time because of it, I'm definitely for freedom in that case.

 

At the same time, I hate to see a company FORCED to do something. It's hard to feel sorry for Apple though, and it's pretty shitty how they lock their devices up. Even littler stuff, like not being able to actually manage files, it's complete bullshit.


If you haven't held a SNES controller before, you don't know gaming.

well okay that's not entirely true but still go play a fucking SNES if you haven't.

 

Current Rig

i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz 1.4v - EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 @ 1500mhz - 16GB Hyper x Fury 1866 - Asus p8z77-v lk (1$) - 250GB SSD - 2x1TB HDD storage - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

 

FX 8320 Rig

FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB - 16GB RAM - 250GB SSD - CM 212 EVO - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - EVGA 500w Bronze - CM Elite 430 Black

 

The 5$ Laptop (Asus r510c) (+60$ worth of upgrades)

Core i5 i5-3337U 1.8ghz (2.5ghz) - 120gb SSD - 320gb WD Black - 8GB DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

 

HTPC - Wolf In Sheep's Clothing (Crappy HP OEM SFF case and PSU from 2009)

AMD A8 6800k @4.2ghz - GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 - 8GB DDR3 - 250GB SP SSD - Some Asus FM2+ motherboard

 

Bedroom HTPC - The 939 Monster

AMD Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.8ghz - ATi Radeon x850XT - 4GB DDR400 - 80GB WD Blue IDE - SOCKET 939 BITCHES

 

Trusty Old Rig: Athlon 64 X2 3000+ @ 2.16ghz - Radeon 9600 Pro - 1GB DDR - GB K8NSC939 - 500w CM PSU

Nokia 3310 - The PC: (Dell Optiplex GX110) Piii Coppermine 1Ghz - 512mb SDRAM - ATi 9250 pro 256mb - 80GB IDE - Sound Blaster Live!

Twin Game Servers (Two): C2Q q6600 @ 3.0ghz - Asus P5B - 8GB DDR2 800

PFSense Router: Pentium D @ 3.2ghz - 2GB DDR2

OMV NAS: Pentium 4 @ 3.2ghz - 2TB WD Red - 2GB DDR2

(I could list like 10 other PCs off the top of my head, yeah I'm a big time PC hoarder.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×