Why such different hardware requirements?

wasab

I was shopping for new steam games and like always, I would check the hardware requirements. No use buying games that run poorly after all. 

I then notice a drastic difference in the hardware requirements between the OS.

Take total war Warhammer for example.

This is the minimum requirement on windows 

283492736_Screenshotfrom2019-05-1103-34-41.png.e4bc216b71fe2d19064eb67c47ff1e9f.png

While on linux, the minimum is considerably higher 

1312729546_Screenshotfrom2019-05-1103-35-12.png.3c6bacd834eaa6d69c066f21f1e3a090.png

However, the worst is on MacOS which requires a core i5 as opposed to a core duo on windows and an i3 on linux and 8 gb ram as oppose to 4gb on linux and 3 gb on windows respectively. 

Screenshot from 2019-05-11 03-34-53.png

This is a common trend across many games i find on steam. what gives? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Because they go off of officially supported hardware and not a hackintosh where you put whatever hardware you want in it like with a linux or windows PC.

Yo won't find a mac with a core 2 duo and 540 iris.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Because they go off of officially supported hardware and not a hackintosh where you put whatever hardware you want in it like with a linux or windows PC.

Yo won't find a mac with a core 2 duo and 540 iris.

Assuming I created a Hackintosh with a core duo and 2014 onwards AMD cards, would that change the result? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

Assuming I created a Hackintosh with a core duo and 2014 onwards AMD cards, would that change the result? 

Then I would go with the specs of the linux machine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Then I would go with the specs of the linux machine.

How would you even install graphics driver for a hackingtosh anyways? Neither AMD or nvidia website has a driver page for macOS. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

How would you even install graphics driver for a hackingtosh anyways? Neither AMD or nvidia website has a driver page for macOS. 

AMD Drivers are included in macos, you can download nvidia drivers in their webpage.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On 5/11/2019 at 11:28 AM, Chunchunmaru_ said:

My guess is they use porting layers from DirectX to OpenGL which could increase the overall hardware requirements

This.  While some games will have a true native Linux build, what normally happens is the Windows version is handed over to a company like Feral who are then paid to make it run on Linux.  This necessitates them adding some extra conversion layers, think of as kind of like them building their own version of WINE into the release.

@wasab when it comes to Steam now, I wouldnt bother with the "minimum" requirements, they seem to have become somewhat outdated.

I have had to to get refunds on games purely because of that issue. I only now look at the "Recommended" as the minimum base line.

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

Does maos support steam play? Or is it only Linux only feature? 

Sudo make me a sandwich