Opinions? Rx 580 vs GTX 1060?

GtfoDragon57
6 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

does the HCG620w have a problem with rail layout and 2 cards?

Maybe, i havent doublechecked amperage. 

Its also in general a bad unit. 

RX 580 8gb how's that one look? Under $200. I have a 750 psu so now worried about power consumption. I was wanting to find something with the 8gb vram so was leaning towards the 580 anyway. Someone asking what area I was purchasing from? US. And what it is used for, it'll be for gaming mostly and eventually using the blender program for rending and such when I get the money to get some schooling.

53 minutes ago, GtfoDragon57 said:

RX 580 8gb how's that one look? Under $200. I have a 750 psu so now worried about power consumption. I was wanting to find something with the 8gb vram so was leaning towards the 580 anyway. Someone asking what area I was purchasing from? US. And what it is used for, it'll be for gaming mostly and eventually using the blender program for rending and such when I get the money to get some schooling.

Looks fine, here's another option too

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125962

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

Is there a specific reason for suggesting that one? Just curious because the other has a higher clock speed and everything else is the same except yours specifies gold plating on the HDMI port. It's also a hair more expensive.

4 minutes ago, GtfoDragon57 said:

Is there a specific reason for suggesting that one? Just curious because the other has a higher clock speed and everything else is the same except yours specifies gold plating on the HDMI port. It's also a hair more expensive.

With the promo code they are the same price? I just recommended it because I noticed that model you chose has a low review score, perhaps a bad batch went out. That model should be fine though

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 hours ago, LOST TALE said:

I stated a fact. It's not wrong. Quote what was wrong.

Its wrong to generalize on Wattage because of a single, really low end 620W PSU.

I proven you wrong with my two 7970GHz/280X.

Your PSU is made by Seasonc, based on the S12II-Bronze basis, wich was modified for Antec and got a better Protection IC but that doesn't really make it much better as voltage regulation is pretty bad as well:

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/3/#abschnitt_spannungsregulation

XFX (zweite Revision) is the Seasonic S12II Bronze variant...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

With the promo code they are the same price? I just recommended it because I noticed that model you chose has a low review score, perhaps a bad batch went out. That model should be fine though

Ahh I didn't notice the promo. Idk, I think I'll go with the first one cuz it's got a little higher ghz. Thanks for the link, though!

1 minute ago, GtfoDragon57 said:

Ahh I didn't notice the promo. Idk, I think I'll go with the first one cuz it's got a little higher ghz. Thanks for the link, though!

Clock speed isn't everything, plus you can manually overclock if you need to.

I would bet that you wouldn't notice much of a difference between the slower card and the faster card(provided they're the same GPU).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

NO!

Because the Wattage is absolutely IRRELEVANT and yes, we have to talk about 12V Rails and Amperage because this is a 500W PSU. Obviously its crap and nobody would recommend it.

So pls stop talking about Wattage as that only leads to disaster and really really shitty units.

If we're talking about good quality 400W, it doesn't have any Problems with the 580 at all.

Especially since its a good amount away from 400W...

Hmm, and here I thought P= U*I. So if wattage is irrelevant, that means amperage is as well. Truly a big brain at work here.

I'm not recommending a cheap-ass 500W, obviously adhering to some expected level of quality or use of an a-brand. But even among those, the platforms they use can differ. And between A-brands, the amount of amperage can differ on the 12V rails. Like using multi-rails, or single rails. Having either the full 33A or merely 30A (360W) for example. 

The reason I said 500W is three-fold. A. because system power consumption with this card is pretty close to 400W.

Spoiler

image.png.ef457588da2bb2dcdac240f44c76ddaa.png

B, if you have an a-brand 500W, there is more tolerance that can be had on the amount they opted to go for on the 12V rails. They could have gone for the full 42A, but also much lower like 35A. Or even multi-rail setups. Unless you already know about how these platforms are built-up, it's safer to pick a decent grade 500W. You can't expect any layperson so understand electronics, and you're only making it harder on everyone with this elitist attitude. 

C, the 500W are usually cheaper, because they ship larger volume (most people err on the side of caution). Or at the least, not much different. This is only truely an interesting argument/scenario for OEM's shipping large quantities of units. That by shaving off a few $ it is multiplied over all sales. 

Don't tell me to not say something if these are your arguments, and try to size up your opponent next time, lest you get caught out flailing publicly like this.

Provided you have a decent PSU RX 580 should be fine. Although keep in mind here wattage is not only the consideration. The quality of the PSU matters the most in these cases. I think 500W is decent enough, check PC partpicker as well you can figure out how much power your PC can use (maximum) and make a choice. If you're on a budget masterwatt series from Cooler Master or grey label VS series from Corsair are the ones to go for. Don't go for anything cheaper than this. THIS IS THE BASE LINE I'm talking about.  

If you are planning to do some hardware related encoding I have a feeling that GTX 1060 would be your best buddy. But keep in mind it's expensive. Also I'd not mind if you rather buy a GTX 1660 instead of a 1060 since it's new and definitely better for 220 bucks.

A budget PC 

CPU - i7 3770 @3.4 Ghz  ; Cooler-  Antec A30 

Mobo - MSI H-61m P20(G3) ; RAM - 12 GB DDR3 ( 1x4 + 1x8 Dual Channel)

PSU - Corsair VS 450(grey label) ; GPU - Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini

Storage - 120 GB SATA SSD for Windows and PUBG; 500 GB HDD for other games

Case - Cheap ATX case

7 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Hmm, and here I thought P= U*I. So if wattage is irrelevant, that means amperage is as well. Truly a big brain at work here.

And if you have 5mV Ripple or 500mV is irrelevant as well.

Its the Quality of the PSU that counts. The Wattage is indeed less relevant.

Especially if we are talking about "normal" Systems with "normal" CPUs and there we don't have no 200W TDP for the CPU or 300W TDP for the GPU. That's high end regions.

I'm not recommending a cheap-ass 500W, obviously adhering to some expected level of quality or use of an a-brand.

Yes, you do! Because EVGA for example is an "A-Brand" and you didn't specify any model, you just threw around a Wattage and get a "quality brand unit" - like EVGA!

But also Thermaltake, Seasonic and basically everyone.

Corsair and be quiet less so.

Even an "A-Brand" has some group regulated stuff with those shitty 8pin protection IC -> no OCP on any rail, often no UVP on 12V. And OTP you also don't find on every unit...

And you wouldn't want that in a PC!

And between A-brands, the amount of amperage can differ on the 12V rails. Like using multi-rails, or single rails. Having either the full 33A or merely 30A (360W) for example. 

...wich is why I said that Quality of the PSU is relevant and not the wattage...

Would you rather have a ~600W "A-Brand" PSU that regulates the 12V and 5V together, doesn't come with OTP, UVP on 12V, OCP on any rail??

Would you rather pay 65€ for that because its "an A-Brand" and fully modular?

Or would you rather get a Bitfenix Formula with 450W for the same price?

or a 400W be quiet Pure Power 11 400W for 15€ less or the 500W for 7€ less...

I'd always take the Formula or Pure Power any second and not hte "A-Brand" with Japanese Caps that has shitty voltage regulation due to Group Regulation and

The reason I said 500W is three-fold. A. because system power consumption with this card is pretty close to 400W.

And what's the Test System?!

It looks like its:

"Our test system is the usual GPU bench that includes a Core i9-9900K clocked at 5 GHz with 32GB of DDR4-3200 memory..."

They don't seem to mention that in the Video but on their Website they mentioned it.

And even with that, a good PSU is rated at 100% load at rather high Ambient temperatures.

With a normal, non overclocked system, you can subtract 100-150W from that as that CPU can be up to 250W or even more...

With that said:
I modded my Bitfenix Formula 450W (bridged the 3rd and 4th Rail so that I have two for PCIe) and used THAT with a VEGA64. And no Problemo.

Why should it?

B, if you have an a-brand 500W, there is more tolerance that can be had on the amount they opted to go for on the 12V rails. They could have gone for the full 42A, but also much lower like 35A. Or even multi-rail setups. Unless you already know about how these platforms are built-up, it's safer to pick a decent grade 500W. You can't expect any layperson so understand electronics, and you're only making it harder on everyone with this elitist attitude. 

No, because YOU are basically recommending Thermaltake Smart TR2-S, Smart RGB, EVGA W1, EVGA N1, W1, Seasonic S12II-Bronze and other buttom of the Barrel "A-Brand" shit nobody should even think about.

That is why you don't just throw around a wattage and brands. Especially not the x00W ones as they more often house shit. Be quiet are the only ones out of my head that have good x00W units.

And its getting worse with anything between the x00W and the x50W.

Here and there there are OK ones, others are just shit...

C, the 500W are usually cheaper, because they ship larger volume (most people err on the side of caution). Or at the least, not much different. This is only truely an interesting argument/scenario for OEM's shipping large quantities of units. That by shaving off a few $ it is multiplied over all sales. 

That depends on the Situation and so on.

You just generalized and threw around Wattage and "go for a Brand Product", not seeing that the "Brand products" can be shit as well

Don't tell me to not say something if these are your arguments

I'm telling you to stop throwing around "go for xx Wattage for "A-Brand". That's just bullshit and means you just recommended an EVGA N1-750W instead of a qualtiy 450W like Corsair CX, bitfenix Formula, or 400W be quiet System 9 or Pure Power 11.

That was my point.

That is why the Tier List made by @LukeSavenije, @LienusLateTips exist. Because not all PSU are equal.

Because "Named Brands" sell shit or even utter garbage. 

580 has slightly better performance and is cheaper. It is generally the better option, but a 1060 is not bad. For around that cost though you can get a 1660 so that might be better

So after reaserching and watching videos and you guys giving me input, I decided, I didn't need the power of the 580 cuz the most I'm going to play at would be 1080. So The latest video from JaytwoCents got me looking into the 570 and ended up ordering the Rx 570 Red Devil. Based on his benchmarks, it should be plenty to play GTAV and Ark and PUBG (If I ever get internet) and such. Thank you all for your input and help, it helped me not rush into the decision and get something I more expensive than I needed. Got it for around $140 after taxes!  Woot woot.

Nice.

Did you get the good 8GiB Version or the not so good 4GiB Version?

2 hours ago, GtfoDragon57 said:

So after reaserching and watching videos and you guys giving me input, I decided, I didn't need the power of the 580 cuz the most I'm going to play at would be 1080. So The latest video from JaytwoCents got me looking into the 570 and ended up ordering the Rx 570 Red Devil. Based on his benchmarks, it should be plenty to play GTAV and Ark and PUBG (If I ever get internet) and such. Thank you all for your input and help, it helped me not rush into the decision and get something I more expensive than I needed. Got it for around $140 after taxes!  Woot woot.

Good choice man. The RX 570 is almost impossible to beat for the price.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

13 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Nice.

Did you get the good 8GiB Version or the not so good 4GiB Version?

Made sure to get the 8gb version lol. Wanted to make sure I had plenty of VRam!

So... I got the card in today. Got it in my machine... reran a few wires to try and get better air flow and I'm getting a message saying "current bios settings do not fully support boot device." I've tried changing the cms from ENABLE to auto and back and still get the same message... any suggestions?

On 4/27/2019 at 6:29 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Its wrong to generalize on Wattage because of a single, really low end 620W PSU.

I proven you wrong with my two 7970GHz/280X.

Your PSU is made by Seasonc, based on the S12II-Bronze basis, wich was modified for Antec and got a better Protection IC but that doesn't really make it much better as voltage regulation is pretty bad as well:

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/3/#abschnitt_spannungsregulation

XFX (zweite Revision) is the Seasonic S12II Bronze variant...

What did I generalize?

Proven me wrong about what?

Regarding the 2 cards not running my 620W I have stated an instance and generalized nothing.

Regarding the recommendation for more power delivery inputs, I have generalized but I see no counter argument.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.