BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

@Ben Quigley How often does the WCG website update stats? My client is saying 10,201 total work done over all computers but the website only has a third of that showing.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

@Ben Quigley How often does the WCG website update stats? My client is saying 10,201 total work done over all computers but the website only has a third of that showing.

I'm not sure as this is my first time on WCG. Almost all of my BOINC experience comes from PRIMEgrid and then seti@home in the windows xp era.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

So I attempted the bunkering technique on windows and I got all the way to the end until I reached creating the shortcut. After running it it threw a heap of errors saying everything in "/m /n 127.0.0.1 /g 31418 /p" were all unknown arguments.

Then to make things worse it bricked my working instance by perpetually searching localhost.

Does anybody know a work around?

Had so much downtime today

But...

The 5960x South be up and running before tomorrow, along with my sexy new gtx 1080.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

22 hours ago, leadeater said:

How often does the WCG website update stats?

From memory they update twice a day.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Well I'm happy with this, still got one more server to add but that's some sweet numbers ?

image.png.a897c5ef270d77909ee4ba2a9cec17a6.png

Should easily be over 400k points per day after next server is added.

So it seems the AIO is fairly knackered, can hard lots of air in it. Can't afford a x99 compatible cooler for the time being, so... How hard do you think it would be to refill it?

It's a cooler master nepton 240m.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

So it seems the AIO is fairly knackered, can hard lots of air in it. Can't afford a x99 compatible cooler for the time being, so... How hard do you think it would be to refill it?

Shouldn't be too hard?

07-block-breakdown.png

Tubes should be able to be pull off, only issue I can think of is AIO's really need to be complete full or extremely small amount of air which might be hard to achieve with a self refill. New units come with refill ports now, not that it helps you.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well I'm happy with this, still got one more server to add but that's some sweet numbers ?

Should easily be over 400k points per day after next server is added.

How many servers do you have total? What about cumulative core/thread count? I'm curious because I think I may be around the same metric as you but with a lot less servers.

23 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

How many servers do you have total? What about cumulative core/thread count? I'm curious because I think I may be around the same metric as you but with a lot less servers.

Right now 5 DL380p Gen8 2x E5-2667 64GB RAM. Those are lower core count Xeons with much higher frequency, I'm betting this doesn't benefit much from clocks and just like cores. Plus I'm running Linux so not sure if there is optimization cli I have to do when starting it up, like max threads or w/e.

So 60 cores total right now (72 when next server is added).

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Right now 5 DL380p Gen8 2x E5-2667 64GB RAM. Those are lower core count Xeons with much higher frequency, I'm betting this doesn't benefit much from clocks and just like cores. Plus I'm running Linux so not sure if there is optimization cli I have to do when starting it up, like max threads or w/e.

So 60 cores total right now (72 when next server is added).

So I am in the same ball park as you with my 2x 2698v3's ?. I'm going to try getting my 2x 2670s running too for a cumulative 48 cores 96 processing threads. Each with 128GB of RAM (the latter server having quad channel). This in only two boxes.

Good thing they're on their own 15A circuit breaker.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So I am in the same ball park as you with my 2x 2698v3's

Yea those are a lot better, there's some E5-2690 servers and some E5-4xxx (some model sku I forget) laying around but it's over the effort point for me to be bothered. Ones I'm using now already have OS on them.

5 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Is there enough liquid in it to work around by putting the rad above the block? If taking apart, be wary of plastic vs metal connectors. Might be safer to do at res than at block, as I snapped off a barb on one trying to pull tube off the block end. Otherwise, Hyper 212 has mount for 2011 and fairly cheap.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Shouldn't be too hard?

07-block-breakdown.png

Tubes should be able to be pull off, only issue I can think of is AIO's really need to be complete full or extremely small amount of air which might be hard to achieve with a self refill. New units come with refill ports now, not that it helps you.

Could I fill it by taking the cold plate off? ?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

32 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Could I fill it by taking the cold plate off? ?

In theory yea? Hold it up so air rises up and as long as there is a path for the water to go in it'll fill up. Should be able to fill it right up that way.

Just now, leadeater said:

In theory yea? Hold it up so air rises up and as long as there is a path for the water to go in it'll fill up. Should be able to fill it right up that way.

That was my thinking,

Well, let's see how this goes,

If not I will probably find my own 212 Evo I have in the attic and hope the mounting hardware is there.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@leadeater

Do you think this will do for a 5960x with no OC? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WRPFFJN/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?th=1

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That looks like a really small cold plate

Would this be any better? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KVNCEIG/ref=psdc_430499031_t5_B06WRPFFJN

have a max budget of 20GBP, so if you wanna advise please feel free. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, leadeater said:

Looking at the reviews for that one it seems adequate. Not going to try and fix the AIO? 

I am, But I want to do some more research on the matter first, wanna be firing on all cylinders for the pent so need something to tie me over. I cant find the mounting hardware for the 212 I have. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yea those are a lot better, there's some E5-2690 servers and some E5-4xxx (some model sku I forget) laying around but it's over the effort point for me to be bothered. Ones I'm using now already have OS on them.

Just buy me a plane ticket to wherever you are I'll get them assembled and running. I love that kind of stuff.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Just buy me a plane ticket to wherever you are I'll get them assembled and running. I love that kind of stuff.

They are already functioning and in racks, just can't be arsed installing an OS on them lol.