CPU Fan Broken

BasedGod
Go to solution Solved by Imabigmac,

No it doesn't boot up on my monitor. It's plugged into the header. I tried the Chassis fan headers next to it as well, because When I first built it, I accidentally plugged the cpu fan into it and it actually worked

Double check every connector is plugged in properly and all PCI card and ram in slots just in case you bumped something. Could be a short somewhere or that mobo might be dead. 

Built a computer on sunday, its now wednesday. Spent the first days just installing and downloading games. Yesterday tried Bioshock Infinite, played for a good 15 min then comp restarted. Tried after that a,d gamed until I shut it off (a good hour and a half). Today Started playing Arma 2 and restarted again. Got back on and didn't self restart for another hour. Now the cpu fan won't work, plugged it into different fan headers and still nothing. I took it out and reapplied thermal paste and still nothing. The GPU and everything runs good. Not sure if its the cpu or the fan itself. It's a stock AMD fan if you're wondering. Please help it's my first rig and it hasn't been going well so far. The thing won't even turn on, the GPU and PSU do turn on though.

Gaming Rig "Project Primitus" - AMD FX-8320 CPU, Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo, G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB RAM @1866 MHz, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 GPU, Fractal Design Define R4 Window, Corsair CX600 PSU

Pics and my reviews for the build here - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/LvN

Peripherals - Corsair Vengeance K70 MX Red, Logitech G402,Kingston HyperX Cloud, 21" TV, Steelseries QcK Heavy Mousepad, Macbook Pro 2012 13"

So the cpu fan did not spin at all? And now your computer wont boot? Am I getting it right? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

So the cpu fan did not spin at all? And now your computer wont boot? Am I getting it right? 

Yah basically. The GPU turns on. The motherboard Light is on as well. Since the cpu isn't getting any cooling, I guess it sits off if I'm right

Gaming Rig "Project Primitus" - AMD FX-8320 CPU, Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo, G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB RAM @1866 MHz, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 GPU, Fractal Design Define R4 Window, Corsair CX600 PSU

Peripherals - Corsair Vengeance K70 MX Red, Logitech G402,Kingston HyperX Cloud, 21" TV, Steelseries QcK Heavy Mousepad, Macbook Pro 2012 13"

Yah basically. The GPU turns on. The motherboard Light is on as well. Since the cpu isn't getting any cooling, I guess it sits off if I'm right

Does it stay on? Make sure the cpu fan is plugged back into the cpu fan header. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Does it stay on? Make sure the cpu fan is plugged back into the cpu fan header. 

No it doesn't boot up on my monitor. It's plugged into the header. I tried the Chassis fan headers next to it as well, because When I first built it, I accidentally plugged the cpu fan into it and it actually worked

Clear Cmos, Check Bios and update drivers first! :) 

Then if you can open your case and see if the fan is spinning when you start the PC plugged into the correct fan header. 

If its not, try attaching a different fan to the same header and see if it works. 

If its not the header might be broken, if the fan spins on the other hand replace your CPU cooler. :) (I suggest NH-L9a) 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Double check every connector is plugged in properly and all PCI card and ram in slots just in case you bumped something. Could be a short somewhere or that mobo might be dead. 

Spoiler

Clear Cmos, Check Bios and update drivers first! :) 

Then if you can open your case and see if the fan is spinning when you start the PC plugged into the correct fan header. 

If its not, try attaching a different fan to the same header and see if it works. 

If its not the header might be broken, if the fan spins on the other hand replace your CPU cooler. :) (I suggest NH-L9a) 

Can't do that if the PC doesn't start up. I'll check the fan header thing though

But the Gpu is on and the Mobo light is on you sure it's the mobo

Guys I fixed it @Imabigmac the ATX Mobo Power wasn't plugged in fully, not giving it enough power So you were right

Guys I fixed it @Imabigmac the ATX Mobo Power wasn't plugged in fully, not giving it enough power So you were right

Ahh, has happened to me many times when not everything works but some does.

Spoiler

Ahh, has happened to me many times when not everything works but some does.

Ur a life saver bro thanks