Building a Server for Small Business

CH1988

I am looking to build a server for my small business.  My customers wil be uploading video to my server from their smartphones (Android/ iPhone) by way of my business' app and website. 

I need help building the right server for this kind of business (I don't want to overspend on things I don't need, or omit things I do) that will accommodate high-volume video uploading and have appropriate processor, memory, storage, bandwidth, and all other proper components, etc. - and I need expert help!  

Thank you! 

If all they are doing is uploading files to it then all you'd need is fast internet. The main bottleneck will be internet speed as the network and drive speed (even budget ones) will be faster than the internet itself or their smartphones.

So fast internet and some drive space should be about it

5 minutes ago, CH1988 said:

I am looking to build a server for my small business.  My customers wil be uploading video to my server from their smartphones (Android/ iPhone) by way of my business' app and website. 

I need help building the right server for this kind of business (I don't want to overspend on things I don't need, or omit things I do) that will accommodate high-volume video uploading and have appropriate processor, memory, storage, bandwidth, and all other proper components, etc. - and I need expert help!  

Thank you! 

First off, welcome to the forum!!

Will your server be doing any transcoding or is it purely storage? You will definitely need lots of disk storage (Toshiba N300 is my current drive recommendation), fast internet connection and lots of RAM. The cpu power will be determined by if you need power for transcoding video. If you are just storing it, then your cpu demands will be fairly low.

Do you have an estimate for how many users will be on this system? And approximately how much space per user or total you are aiming for? 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Normally building a server for a business is a bad idea.

Have you looked at cloud hosting, often a better bet for something like this.

How much bandwith needed, storage needed?

On 4/19/2019 at 11:56 AM, CH1988 said:

Thank you! 

What is the server doing with the video files?

The key thing people forget about this area is requirements around availability. What is your required availability, how much downtime can you afford to have etc.

if your server breaks and it takes you a week to fix it, have you gonna bankrupt already?

servers are about a lot more than raw spec/horsepower. It’s more about availability and redundancy

oh and yes for a small business absolutely think about cloud!