Overclocked Until It Didn't.

Go to solution Solved by SenKa,

Your OC isn't stable, and it is resetting the clock speeds so that it can POST properly.

Set your RAM clocks to 2666 and see if it posts at higher frequencies. RAM Controllers are relatively picky on 1000 series Ryzen chips.

If 2666 fails, try 2133. If that fails, your OC is just unstable.

Hello all! I recently got a CPU water cooler and started playing around with over clocking my computer. Things were going great and I was getting some impressive results. After pushing the system a bit I decided on a clock I though would work for me. I set the clock, saved the bios and my computer began to boot cycle. Windows loaded and I checked the speeds in CPU-Z and they were at stock settings. I continued to test different over clocks and every time I got the same issue. It would boot cycle and return to stock settings. I flashed the Bios and tried only A-XMP and same thing happened. Not sure what happened or if I changed something but the computer does not like ANY sort of boost/overclock.

Did I break something?

I am pretty new to over clocking. I watched this video and followed the suggestions.

Everything was working great until it wasn't. I should also mention that when I input an OC with the CPU and RAM, after the PC boot cycles and I check CPU-Z the power has increased but the clock speed does not. Not sure if this means anything.

The computer still runs and boots just fine without any OC. Any suggestions on what happened and what I can do would be appreciated.

Here is what I am working with:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core

MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon

Radeon RX580 4gb

CORSAIR Vengeance 16gb 3000Mhz

CORSAIR H100i Pro

Windows 64-bit

Bios version 7B78v28

Your OC isn't stable, and it is resetting the clock speeds so that it can POST properly.

Set your RAM clocks to 2666 and see if it posts at higher frequencies. RAM Controllers are relatively picky on 1000 series Ryzen chips.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

4 hours ago, MevDev said:

Tried resetting the bios by pulling the battery and restarting from scratch?

It's not a race to the bottom.

The problem seems to have sorted itself out! Through further testing based on your suggestions I have been able to set an OC on my computer. I ended up putting the RAM in different channels and was able to get an OC. I switched the RAM back to the original channels to confirm I hadn't killed the channel and was surprised that the OC was working just fine. Still not sure what caused the issue but simply by moving the RAM around I was able to get back to over clocking. For reference I am using the 3.2Ghz CPU and over clocking to 3.8Ghz with a sketchy 4.0Ghz. Thanks for the suggestions!

Screenshot (4).png

5 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Thank you. The OC that I was running was stable and working fine with no issues. Something weird happened with the RAM that was causing the OC to not run. I could OC the CPU with no isses. Once I re-seated the RAM it went back to working great. Not exactly sure what this means. But as of right now everything is working.