Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ruckus42

Dissenter - The comment section of the internet - And a severe game-changer for free speech

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

And this is coming from someone from outside of the US, the political landscape over there feels like it's going to explode at any minute, where one side finally snaps and all hell breaks loose. whether or not that's what is actually going on over there, from an outside perspective, things are bad

I doubt it's actually that bad, I don't think the online world actually mirrors that closely to the in presence world. A bit like the hall of mirrors in fair ground shows, distorting views and proportions to unreal. Neither side, view, opinion, affiliation is pronounced as it seems. Extreme views are not that common and people are not in fighting in day to day lives and matters.

What actually gets people disgruntled usually ties back to economic situation, since that has such strong bearings on quality of life and education. So many factors branch out from that one thing you can trace many statistics back to it, like crime or career success. A lot of political views are tied in to it as well.

Get a group of people in a bad economic situation and resentment will grow, get a group of people fearing negative turn in their economic situation and resentment will grow. Personally I think what we are seeing is the effects of the decline in the true middle class, the classic family of a sole salary provider or an additional part time supplementer who can buy a a nice home (nice being important here) and pay for a good education for their children. It's these people that are trying to be vocal, they want to be heard but like many peaceful protests there are hijackers that come in and cause a riot.

The above applies to the left, right, middle, whatever.

What I have a problem with when it comes to a topic like this, free speech, is the ignoring of real consequences of it and that there are limits on it already. Speech really is that powerful, we all should know "The pen is mightier than the sword", and if we are to believe this then we also need to consider that such a powerful thing can be used for good and bad. And now here is the part that makes a lot of people argue back very strongly, if the amount of good is limited due to what we have to do to stop the bad (the real bad) is less worse than letting those bad things happen. People will still resent their success, ideas or whatever being limited (if at all) but stopping violence, death, radical overtake of governments is a greater benefit.

The other point I'd like to address is around the complaint about not being able to express views. Very often 'example person' complaining about it actually has been able to, what they are actually complaining about, the real heart of it, is that people aren't listening or accepting of their view so will seek out a place that does. Rather than reflecting on response received they reject that feedback. Please don't reply back with examples of people getting banned from twitter or other social media platforms I am well aware of it and some of, not all, that directly applies to what I just said.

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

It's almost like people don't realize 1984 was a warning, not a guide book.

If you imagine yourself as an inner party member, 1984 is a pretty nice place. I wonder whats the magnitude of hubris in ordinary nobodies nowadays

and pewdiepie endorsed a new streaming platform, how long will it take for the mainstream to start calling that site alt-right and every ism in the book

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

40 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

and pewdiepie endorsed a new streaming platform, how long will it take for the mainstream to start calling that site alt-right and every ism in the book

What platform?

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What platform?

dlive

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

7 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

dlive

They don't seem to have much of a stance on moderation either way 🤔 at least, it doesn't appear in any of their marketing. The only difference I see between them and Twitch is the monetization scheme and the way the infrastructure works.

I'd be a bit concerned about the economical aspect though, it's not entirely clear from their description of the service how exactly they can afford to maintain the infrastructure without advertisements and without taking any cut from the donations. "Blockchain" is a bit of a buzz word at the moment and I'm not sure they aren't just running on spurious investment. That's beside the point though.

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.