50 watts short

BACKINBACON
Go to solution Solved by LukeSavenije,
17 minutes ago, BACKINBACON said:

A 600w Forton Hyper s. it works just fine in my current rig; r5 2600x, Rx 580 8gb, 2x8gb 3200mhz

i suggest you swap it

not because of wattage, but because of the vega linup having a really high peak power and that psu is too low quality to handle it properly

Hi everyone!

I’m planning to upgrade to a vega 56 because I found a good deal, but they recommend a 650w psu while I have a 600w psu,

do I need to buy a new psu because mine is 50 watts short?

thanks in advance!

You want an RX 560, to be sure?

Anyways, don't pay too much attention to the wattage rating; they are usually higher than actually necessary because there are people out there with terrible power supplies that want to use to card; so they recommend more than needed.

More importantly; what PSU do you have exactly? High chances it's plenty for this card.

Power consumption is around 100W, so assuming the rest of your PC is normal; a good quality 600W will work well:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-560-4gb,5254-14.html

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

A 600w Forton Hyper s. it works just fine in my current rig; r5 2600x, Rx 580 8gb, 2x8gb 3200mhz

17 minutes ago, BACKINBACON said:

i suggest you swap it

not because of wattage, but because of the vega linup having a really high peak power and that psu is too low quality to handle it properly

4 minutes ago, BACKINBACON said:

Thanks for the help

no problem

if you need help with selecting a new unit, let me know. the psu tier list isn't everything here

for example the seasonic focus (tier A on the list) has problems with vega on the 550 watt version

Another option: underclocking-undervoltage, ie.:5-10%. Later I'd upgrade PSU, not because of wattage, but mostly getting a better quality one.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 hour ago, BACKINBACON said:

A 600w Forton Hyper s. 

Replace it.

using VEGA with a low end PSU is asking for trouble.

You shouldn't use it with anything lower than good mid range units like be quiet Pure Power 10.

Though I can't say anything about Pure Power 10/11 and VEGA Compatibility as I only have the 400W version, wich is not enough.

But you don't need no 650W, a good quality PSU is more than enough!

I pounded my 550W Cougar GX-F pretty hard, even with VEGA and it worked decently, though I think that there was a bit more electronics noise than with other units.

My VEGA is the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 (not the Special Edition). And even with +50% Powertarget, it runs pretty well.

As for the High Peaks, I kinda disagree with my VEGA64, its not that bad as people claim. if it was the case, the DELTA DPS-500QB would switch off immediately and not 5min later...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

A 550w powersupply should be plenty in that build. Have a look at tier 1/2 on the PSU list on this forum to get an idea what brand/models to look for. This list isn’t a holy grail but a good guide imo 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

31 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

A 550w powersupply should be plenty in that build. Have a look at tier 1/2 on the PSU list on this forum to get an idea what brand/models to look for. This list isn’t a holy grail but a good guide imo 

especially when you look at the focus 550 watt units...

tho seasonic seems to have fixed it

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

especially when you look at the focus 550 watt units...

tho seasonic seems to have fixed it

Not familiar with those PSU, really only know Corsair ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

10 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Not familiar with those PSU, really only know Corsair ?

corsair is mostly CWT (some seasonic, flextronics and greatwall) but that aside

32 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

corsair is mostly CWT (some seasonic, flextronics and greatwall) but that aside

My RMx works just fine ?

3 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

My RMx works just fine ?

which is CWT

not that it's a bad thing. i just wanted to say that corsair doesn't make them themselves

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

which is CWT

not that it's a bad thing. i just wanted to say that corsair doesn't make them themselves

Oh right, never heard of cwt ? thanks for the knowledge !

kinda similar with aio. End of day most of it comes from asestek right ?

11 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Oh right, never heard of cwt ? thanks for the knowledge !

yep... CWT is pretty common actually. but just like companies, don't think if it's CWT, it's good

Edit: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html

Edited by LukeSavenije

6 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Or CoolIT.