Universal Mosfet/VRM and NB/SB waterblocks for Sabertooth 990FX

Specifically the R2.0 variant. I know that the VRMs get particularly hot when overclocking, I was pushing 1.55V to my Phenom II X6 1090T and I recall seeing some parts of the motherboard hitting around 70C. I don't remember what component it was specific towards because its been a while since I played with it but I want to push it as far as I can to see what I can get out of my old 1090T. 4.2Ghz on a H110i GTX is pretty solid already but I've seen others, namely Timmy Joe getting 4.4Ghz under relatively extreme using an AIO with the radiator hanging out of the window of his house, cause he lives in Canadia land and its cold up there. I've seen a few entries on 3dmark with 4.3Ghz on 1090T/1100Ts. I feel like adding better cooling to the board might let you coax some extra performance so I wanted to give that a whirl just for fun.|

Anyways! What I wanted to know was if anyone knew of some universal blocks that were compatible with the hole spacing for the Sabertooth board I have. About 133.3mm for the vrm/mosfets, 52mm for the NB and SB for hole spacing.

[Reposted it cause I put it in the wrong subforum like a dork > w>]

70c is fine for vms, you can get 100+ on them and they will be fine. How are you measuring those temps though?

Really, its not worth it to cool it better, esp on such a old chip. If you want better cooling for fun, just put a fan on it.

3 minutes ago, Troika said:

Specifically the R2.0 variant. I know that the VRMs get particularly hot when overclocking, I was pushing 1.55V to my Phenom II X6 1090T and I recall seeing some parts of the motherboard hitting around 70C. I don't remember what component it was specific towards because its been a while since I played with it but I want to push it as far as I can to see what I can get out of my old 1090T. 4.2Ghz on a H110i GTX is pretty solid already but I've seen others, namely Timmy Joe getting 4.4Ghz under relatively extreme using an AIO with the radiator hanging out of the window of his house, cause he lives in Canadia land and its cold up there. I've seen a few entries on 3dmark with 4.3Ghz on 1090T/1100Ts. I feel like adding better cooling to the board might let you coax some extra performance so I wanted to give that a whirl just for fun.|

Anyways! What I wanted to know was if anyone knew of some universal blocks that were compatible with the hole spacing for the Sabertooth board I have. About 133.3mm for the vrm/mosfets, 52mm for the NB and SB for hole spacing.

[Reposted it cause I put it in the wrong subforum like a dork > w>]

Here is the link, I did this mod and ran my 8350 at 5ghz stable 24/7 for years.
CLICK ME!!!

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

70c is fine for vms, you can get 100+ on them and they will be fine. How are you measuring those temps though?

Really, its not worth it to cool it better, esp on such a old chip. If you want better cooling for fun, just put a fan on it.

on intel boards yes, on the 990fx boards no.

1 minute ago, Benjeh said:

on intel boards yes, on the 990fx boards no.

How would intel vs amd make a difference here? The vrms are basically the same.

back in my day I got some heatsinks from Thermalright and attached small fans to them but I'm not sure those exist anymore

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I dunno dude would you accept experience as an answer or we gunna be going back and forth all night? You want pics of my 990FX all waterblocked up?

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

back in my day I got some heatsinks from Thermalright and attached small fans to them but I'm not sure those exist anymore

I tried that, I lost a Giga UD5 and a 8350 so blown VRM.

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Possibly different throttling curves? No difference electrically/thermally though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

43 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

HWmonitor, probably not the most accurrate thing to use but it was fine enough for me. That was with two 80mm enermax magma running at 100% speed. Either way, the cooler the better and this is just for fun.

38 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

I dunno dude would you accept experience as an answer or we gunna be going back and forth all night? You want pics of my 990FX all waterblocked up?

Sure, I'd like to see that. :)

37 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

I tried that, I lost a Giga UD5 and a 8350 so blown VRM.

I've heard tale of 8350s and 9590s destroying the vrms on even Crosshair V boards. Weren't those supposed to be top dog boards?

1 minute ago, Troika said:

HWmonitor, probably not the most accurrate thing to use but it was fine enough for me. That was with two 80mm enermax magma running at 100% speed. Either way, the cooler the better and this is just for fun.

Sure, I'd like to see that. :)

I've heard tale of 8350s and 9590s destroying the vrms on even Crosshair V boards. Weren't those supposed to be top dog boards?

I'm just gunna tell you flat out, I started overclocking with the 8350, the 990fx boards were best yes but underpowred VRM wise, AMD got gimped by motherbaord partners (i've been drinking btw, life today has been hard) I literally cut my teeth with overclocking motherboards, ram and cpus around the time 990fx was mainstream, i fought against intel bias and undying fan hardons, the 8350 was a power hungry chip the 8370 that came out after took less power on overclocked further, VRM support was dog shit tier for the FX chipsets, but you paired those chips with fast low latency ram, and you had FPS in the truckload.

As for your question, the link I provided for VRM is sound, I actually bought a pre modded VRM block and holy hell it made my overclocking life a metric F tonne easier. I didn't use the waterblock in the post for my NB however, I used a later one from koolance, a square one, it was just an updated versiuon of the one in the post. It worked brilliantly, no matter the volts, my watercooling system could handle it with ease. See most people on this forum went intel, had it easy, me, i spent years learning to overclock, my system had enough power to embarrasses an intel system because they don't know how to set them up, my DDR4 ram here, the bandwidth and speed etc, I'd love to see anyone else in this forum get the numbers I do. sad but true. Keep doing what you're doing, what you will learn will far exceed any plug an play intel owner.

2 hours ago, Benjeh said:

I'm just gunna tell you flat out, I started overclocking with the 8350, the 990fx boards were best yes but underpowred VRM wise, AMD got gimped by motherbaord partners (i've been drinking btw, life today has been hard) I literally cut my teeth with overclocking motherboards, ram and cpus around the time 990fx was mainstream, i fought against intel bias and undying fan hardons, the 8350 was a power hungry chip the 8370 that came out after took less power on overclocked further, VRM support was dog shit tier for the FX chipsets, but you paired those chips with fast low latency ram, and you had FPS in the truckload.

As for your question, the link I provided for VRM is sound, I actually bought a pre modded VRM block and holy hell it made my overclocking life a metric F tonne easier. I didn't use the waterblock in the post for my NB however, I used a later one from koolance, a square one, it was just an updated versiuon of the one in the post. It worked brilliantly, no matter the volts, my watercooling system could handle it with ease. See most people on this forum went intel, had it easy, me, i spent years learning to overclock, my system had enough power to embarrasses an intel system because they don't know how to set them up, my DDR4 ram here, the bandwidth and speed etc, I'd love to see anyone else in this forum get the numbers I do. sad but true. Keep doing what you're doing, what you will learn will far exceed any plug an play intel owner.

I just got home so I'll definitely take a look at it. I cut my teeth on the pretty meh Nvidia 780i chipset provided on the Crosshair II Formula and a Phenom II X4 940 after the stock board and power supply on my first computer went kaput, it was a Gateway DX4200-09. I managed to get 4Ghz on that 940 using a H60 and probably killed the chip and potentially the board as well. I moved onto a Gigabyte 970 board with a FX-6100, also getting that upto 4Ghz on the same H60 but the lack of any sort of cooling for the mosfets made getting anymore out of it impossible. I traded that up, or rather backwards, for a Gigabyte X58 system with a i7 950 and 16GB of ram. That was a fun system to play with. I parted that system out and got my first new system after the FX-6100 as a sort of graduation gift for myself when I got my associates from tech school. I got a Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5, a i5 4690k, 16GB of ram and a GTX 970. My prior graphics cards were a Geforce 210 for the gateway system (cause I knew nothing about computer then), which was replaced with a Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB, a MSI Radeon HD 6670 when I got the FX system then later upgraded to a Gigabyte HD 7770 ghz edition that got carried over to the X58 system. Right now, my active systems include a MSI X58 Big Bang xPower w/X5650 that I got from a trade here, the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 w/1090T and my current main build which is a Asus Crosshair VII WI-FI w/Ryzen 7 2700X and a Vega FE that was acquired from the same trade as the X58 board. That replaced my previous build that had originally replaced my Phenom X6, a Maximus VIII Hero w/6600K delidded and overclocked to 4.4Ghz. I didn't have it for too long or much time to actually play with it so I did the lazy thing and used the built in OC tool.

I've played on both sides of the field and I really don't have a preference for what chip I use. I go for whatever happens to be the best value at the time and considering that 98% of my shopping is with second hand parts nowadays, that leaves a lot of wiggle room for me to get great deals on parts and just buy whatever else I need new with all the money I saved from going used. I do plan on getting a better chip for the X58 board and overclock the bananas out of it and I do have waterblocks for my current system, a monoblock for the Crosshair VII and a full cover block for the Vega FE, I just don't have the money to actually get everything else I need to do a custom loop though I do have one planned. :3

2 hours ago, Benjeh said:

Here is the link, I did this mod and ran my 8350 at 5ghz stable 24/7 for years.
CLICK ME!!!

Pretty thorough guide! So I was able to find all of the bits you listed and the rest of the stuff I'd need, minus coolant and tubing. This also help me make sure I don't forget anything and keeps the "shopping list" somewhere that's easy for me to find. ?

Koolance CHC-122
Koolance MVR-100
Koolance MVR-PLT140
3x Fujipoly Ultra Extreme XR-m 17w/mk10x10mm copper heatsinks
2x Koolance HX360XC (Will be reusing for something else afterwards.)
6x Noctua NF-F14 IPPC 3000 (Will be reused for something else afterwards)
Koolance CPU-400A
Alphacool Dual Bay D5 w/2x D5 pumps or Alphacool Dual Bay D5 w/1x D5 pump + Extra D5 pump (will be reused for something else afterwards.)

3 hours ago, Troika said:

Alphacool Dual Bay D5 w/2x D5 pumps or Alphacool Dual Bay D5 w/1x D5 pump + Extra D5 pump (will be reused for something else afterwards.)

there is no need for dual d5 pump!!! just gjing to waste money.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

1 hour ago, MaratM said:

there is no need for dual d5 pump!!! just gjing to waste money.

The build that'll be using those dual d5s in the end will have three radiators (a 360mm, a 240mm and a 140mm, a cpu block, a vrm block, a northbridge block,  four gpu blocks, and a lot of tubing because its a very big case. I need the extra flow rate to make sure fluids move around quickly enough.

2 hours ago, Troika said:

The build that'll be using those dual d5s in the end will have three radiators (a 360mm, a 240mm and a 140mm, a cpu block, a vrm block, a northbridge block, and four gpu blocks. I need the extra flow rate to make sure fluids move around quickly enough.

4!!!GPU's !!! that is not enough rads

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

3 hours ago, MaratM said:

Should be fine for stock operation. 120mm for each of the things that do a lot of heat (GPU, CPU), and 120+140 for Northbridge and VRM. Northbridge and VRM are probably fine for a single 120mm, leaving a 140mm for cleanup

If you wanna OC though, you need more rad space

8 hours ago, Troika said:

The build that'll be using those dual d5s in the end will have three radiators (a 360mm, a 240mm and a 140mm, a cpu block, a vrm block, a northbridge block,  four gpu blocks, and a lot of tubing because its a very big case. I need the extra flow rate to make sure fluids move around quickly enough.

You will want more rad space.

2 hours ago, Mehmy said:

Should be fine for stock operation. 120mm for each of the things that do a lot of heat (GPU, CPU), and 120+140 for Northbridge and VRM. Northbridge and VRM are probably fine for a single 120mm, leaving a 140mm for cleanup

That is theoretical count of rads, 120 or 140 per component, it works but only at the full blast of high rpm/static pressure fans. You will end up with same if not higher level of fan noise as with simple aircooled solution. For this kind of setup you really need something like 3x360 if not more rads to get benefits of watercooling.

your cpu is not a particularly “cold” one then it is overclocked it will produce something like 200-250 watts tdp.

I do not know what gpu’s you are planning to use but the 2 of them will be running on pci-e 2.0 in x16 and the other 2 x8.

By running any modern gpu in pci-e 2.0 by 8 lanes you just making them into much lower gpu by cutting down the bandwith. Unless you using this rig for crypto mining and you have access to free electricity

if you are using anything below 1070 it is pointless to wotercool it the full cover waterblock is more expensive than the card and very hard to find

19 hours ago, MaratM said:

The case I'm using, a Cooler Master Cosmos II, is the limiting factor. I have space for only three radiators.

15 hours ago, Mehmy said:

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the overclocks I dial in.

13 hours ago, Benjeh said:

You will want more rad space.

I'm limited by the case I chose. By chose, I mean that I already have the case and rather not buy another one.

11 hours ago, MaratM said:

That is theoretical count of rads, 120 or 140 per component, it works but only at the full blast of high rpm/static pressure fans. You will end up with same if not higher level of fan noise as with simple aircooled solution. For this kind of setup you really need something like 3x360 if not more rads to get benefits of watercooling.

your cpu is not a particularly “cold” one then it is overclocked it will produce something like 200-250 watts tdp.

I do not know what gpu’s you are planning to use but the 2 of them will be running on pci-e 2.0 in x16 and the other 2 x8.

By running any modern gpu in pci-e 2.0 by 8 lanes you just making them into much lower gpu by cutting down the bandwith. Unless you using this rig for crypto mining and you have access to free electricity

if you are using anything below 1070 it is pointless to wotercool it the full cover waterblock is more expensive than the card and very hard to find

A combination of Noctua NF-F12 IPPC and NF-A14 IPPC fans should be more than sufficient for high airflow and high pressure to keep the rads cool. The processor in question will be a i7 980X/990X or X5680/5690, all of which are 130W TDP chips at stock. The graphics cards I plan on using will be four radeon HD 7970s, probably something based on the reference design because that they'll be capable of fitting on a single slot after a bracket change. X58 supports 36 lanes so all the cards will be running at x8.

Its not a cryptorig, its just a display build that I want to make. The money is irrelevant.

32 minutes ago, Troika said:

The processor in question will be a i7 980X/990X or X5680/5690, all of which are 130W TDP

I’ve been running same chip for a few years and it is one hot chip. It consumes around 350w then oc’d you really need a 360 rad to keep it cool.

hd7979 is a 300w tdp. X4 = 1200w at full load, unless it is a showpiece and it will not do any work at all, just staying in a corner and look butiful)

you can remove all the drive cages and place a 360 rad in the front and on the mobo tray (lian li pc o11d style) that will bring it to around 3x360 or even more if you can put 420 rad in the front.

this huge case opens a lot of possibilities for a masterpiece of a showcase, but you have a bit more creative and use a dremmel

On 3/13/2019 at 1:45 AM, MaratM said:

I’ve been running same chip for a few years and it is one hot chip. It consumes around 350w then oc’d you really need a 360 rad to keep it cool.

hd7979 is a 300w tdp. X4 = 1200w at full load, unless it is a showpiece and it will not do any work at all, just staying in a corner and look butiful)

you can remove all the drive cages and place a 360 rad in the front and on the mobo tray (lian li pc o11d style) that will bring it to around 3x360 or even more if you can put 420 rad in the front.

this huge case opens a lot of possibilities for a masterpiece of a showcase, but you have a bit more creative and use a dremmel

I don't know if I'd do that though, that does give me an idea. I could replace the back door panel with a plexi panel with vents cut into it and stick a big ass 1080mm 9x120mm/3x360mm rad matrix on the mobo tray plus the 360mm that'd go in the top panel, the 240mm in the bottom HDD section and the 140mm at the back. The other option would be an external liquid chiller/cooler like this old school thing. I would lose the top 360mm rad if I went that route though and still have the original issue.

I could hog out the front since one of the HDD rails is riveted in rather than screwed in and that'd net me access to a 180/200mm radiator. A 180mm would probably work best since I'd be able to pair it with a Silverstone air penetrator fan. I can always repurpose some of the 5.25" drive bays for 2.5" SSD storage. I think I remember seeing some 5.25 to dual 2.5" drive bays plus double sided tape would let me double up on them. Same is true if I went with 5.25 to 3.5 bay converters then taped some 2.5" SSDs onto them. Ideally I'd want some that are period appropriate, like maybe some old OCZ Vertex or maybe some Intel 320s and then some WDC Velociraptors for game storage.

Whatever I end up doing to the case, I have one chance since I definitely don't want to have to buy another Cosmos II, particularly because I paid $60 for the one I already have and I doubt I'll be able to find another one at a computer recycler for a second attempt.