PRIVATE INTERNET ACCESS NOT PRIVATE

Private internet access is a VPN, well then can anyone please tell me how the government detected what I was doing on my PC while I was connected to PIA.

As you can see from the attached image, they detected what I was doing. so a VPN that sponsors Linus isn't so VPN is it?

I posted this here due to PIA's own forum not taking posts at the moment, when that is back up and running I will do.

Capture.PNG

PIA likely only reroutes ports 80 and 443. I can assure you that your torrent client likely isn't using either of those two ports.

EDIT: Yep

image.png.b4e6f5b152bb9ba5eb23e6af9891fd6f.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

the case is here, Linus himself has said that through PIA they shouldn't detect any torrenting

4 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

PIA likely only reroutes ports 80 and 443. I can assure you that your torrent client likely isn't using either of those two ports.

Those are the ports used by the VPN software to create the tunnel. It reroutes everything.

It's more likely the Torrent client bypassed the VPN while the VPN wasn't connected. To prevent this from happening you need to create explicit routing rules on your PC or router that blocks all outbound access that's not going through the VPN.

its highly likely, infact almost certain, u havnt got it correctly setup. So the the torrent bypassed the VPN.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Right I will look into it, honestly, I have used this set up for years and this is the first time anything like this has happened.

I will look at the new PIA software as it is the new version of it.

Private Internet Access is also under USA/"Fourteen Eyes" jurisdiction, so you don't have the utmost safety imo. You might've also failed to configure properly or not had it running while you were torrenting.

A girl who loves to love.

6 minutes ago, Telenikros said:

Right I will look into it, honestly, I have used this set up for years and this is the first time anything like this has happened.

I will look at the new PIA software as it is the new version of it.

Also note that if u really want a secure VPN, PIA isnt a good choice anyway as its a US bassed VPN subject to the intellegence agency alliances, such as the 5,9, and14 eyes alliance.

You would need to use a VPN not subject to such alliances, those bassed outside the US and countries involved in those alliances. NordVPn is probably the most well known one, which is bassed in Panama.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Turn on the "kill switch" this will stop all internet traffic on the machine if the VPN is not connected.

side note****...if the software is not running this will not help. This only works of PIA is running.

ok cheers, I will look at my settings on PIA, and look at NordVPN as well.

1 minute ago, lieder1987 said:

Turn on the "kill switch" this will stop all internet traffic on the machine if the VPN is not connected.

side note****...if the software is not running this will not help. This only works of PIA is running.

Yeah, I have PIA loading up with the system, I have turned on Kill Switch just before I posted this. I was just wondering if they have gone more slack on their data protection.

17 hours ago, Telenikros said:

the case is here, Linus himself has said that through PIA they shouldn't detect any torrenting

Hypocrisy is so real here. You are blaming Linus for not knowing everything about service they promote while you are pirating TV shows. Why don't you pay for streaming service since you obviously have money to pay for VPN.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 3/8/2019 at 2:22 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Hypocrisy is so real here. You are blaming Linus for not knowing everything about service they promote while you are pirating TV shows. Why don't you pay for streaming service since you obviously have money to pay for VPN.

I do, I subscribe to Netflix, NowTV, Amazon Prime and the WWE network, the issue here is Gotham isn't on anywhere in the UK till the end of this year at least. If any of these services had the program then I wouldn't be Torrenting it!

It is one program out of many that I watch which I can't get here in the UK 

"Gotham season four started airing on Channel 4’s sister channel E4 in April 2018, over half a year after the show had its US premiere in September 2017.

E4 has confirmed to Express.co.uk that it will be broadcasting Gotham season five for British fans but there’s no UK release date as yet."

so we are at least a year behind the rest of the world.

37 minutes ago, Telenikros said:

I do, I subscribe to Netflix, NowTV, Amazon Prime and the WWE network, the issue here is Gotham isn't on anywhere in the UK till the end of this year at least. If any of these services had the program then I wouldn't be Torrenting it!

It is one program out of many that I watch which I can't get here in the UK 

"Gotham season four started airing on Channel 4’s sister channel E4 in April 2018, over half a year after the show had its US premiere in September 2017.

E4 has confirmed to Express.co.uk that it will be broadcasting Gotham season five for British fans but there’s no UK release date as yet."

so we are at least a year behind the rest of the world.

Since it will be available at some point, you are making excuses.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 9 months later...

It was 100% the kill switch.  I learned that lesson the same way you did 2 years ago.  You'll never see another letter now.  I would say in 2 years, 1000's of torrents, not a single problem.  EDIT: 3 things you need to set, 1.  Torrent does not launch at start, ever.  - 2.  PIA launches at start 3. Kill switch is never switched off.  If you disconnect PIA from the system tray, then exit it, you're internet will work as normal, no need to ever toggle the kill switch off.