An MSI GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X Unboxing Appears on YouTube

BiG StroOnZ

19101455743s.jpg

19101456380s.jpg

PC World Bulgaria has uploaded a video which showcases MSI's upcoming GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X graphics card, giving us a comprehensive look around the graphics card, its display output configuration and its power design. 

Looking at the card directly, we can clearly see that this new MSI graphics card is a Geforce GTX series part, lacking any RTX branding, confirming Nvidia's move away from the RTX brand name in their lower-end products. On the box, we can also see that RTX features such as ray tracing and DLSS are excluded, instead referencing Turing Shaders, backing up the rumours that the GTX 1660 Ti will lack both RT cores and Tensor cores. 

On the GPU's boxart, we can also see that MSI's Geforce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X features plenty of RGB lighting locations and utilises an 8-pin PCIe cable for power. The major difference between this cooler and its RTX 2060 counterpart is the lack of Geforce RTX branding on the side of the cooler, which instead says Geforce GTX. The Twin Frozr 7 cooler design appears to be the same as MSI's RTX 2060 Gaming X model. 

It looks like the rumors were correct about the nomenclature of this card. If this turns out to be real, I hope we can get a more thorough explanation about why this name choice was selected.

Source: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/msi_gtx_1660_ti_gaming_x_unboxing_appears_on_youtube/1

It looks like the original video was already taken down, here's a backup:

ZVLOhtkOgMTULmo1.jpg

1 hour ago, campy said:

There have been weird named products before, it's not the most surprising thing.

I imagine they were thinking of the 660ti when they came up with this.

Only problem is that the 660 Ti made sense in context to the series of cards it was based off of, the (Kepler) 600 series.

In this instance it would make more sense either as; GTX 1160 (a successive continuation of Pascal [1000 series] naming) or GTX 2060 (because of no RTX or DLSS stuff, and the current series [Turing] naming [2000 series]).

1 hour ago, pizapower said:

RIP AMD mid range GPUs

That fully depends on price point.  While I like AMD, I hope this has a low enough price point to do that.  It would force Navi based cards to be priced more aggressively when they come out too, making graphics cards finally come back down to semi-sane price points again.

I can't wait to not buy this and just look at reviews online

I hope it doesn't cost too much.

EDIT: Lol the video is gone.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Actually, I think I understand the naming scheme: when they move on to the rtx 3000 series they can introduce Gtx 2660ti! No confusion at all!

And I'm sure they'll probably introduce a rtx 2060ti for the time being

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Still waiting for the TITAN TITAN for double Titaness.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

It should be 20-25% faster than the 1060 6Gb version somewhere in the 250USD range, depending on model. This should skip it ahead of the RX 590 (which never had much reason to exist anyway) by about 10% in performance while everyone waits on Navi to replace Polaris. Main selling point should be in some games that use Async it'll perform above the 1070 pretty handedly. 

In reality, this is actually another tier within Nvidia's product stack. The 1660 non-TI should be about 1060 6Gb performance for roughly a few bucks less, minus some media engine improvements and just the subtle tweaks with Turing.

3 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Actually, I think I understand the naming scheme: when they move on to the rtx 3000 series they can introduce Gtx 2660ti! No confusion at all!

And I'm sure they'll probably introduce a rtx 2060ti for the time being

2070 Ti more than a 2060 Ti. There's not enough performance space between the 2060 and 2070. They could do one on a Cost basis, but it'd be a horrible buy for anyone. Also, the 2060 and 2070 share the same GPU die already. The 2080 has its own GPU die (TU104) without any down-binned versions. There's space for a 650USD, 2070 Ti with 2688 CUDA cores. (42 SM x 64 CUDA Cores) We'll know how yields are when it lands probably late this year.

8 hours ago, floofer said:

I can't wait to not buy this and just look at reviews online

This. 

I love looking at all this new hardware, but my GTX 1070 isn't leaving my tower anytime soon. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

9 hours ago, pizapower said:

RIP AMD mid range GPUs

so AMD can concentrate on cpu and RP intel

what will nest gen be called? GTX 1760 / 2660/  1670 ? lol