As comfy as the Bose ?

-|ZeRO|-
Go to solution Solved by johnt,

The G633 is like cardboard. I'm not surprised you didn't find it comfortable.

Try the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250ohm with the velvet ear pads. You'll never go back. Buy the mic separate. The headphone+mic scene is a joke.

It's similar to the Clouds, so you might be able to purchase the velvet ear pads and swap them out. Although I don't know if the drivers and tuning are similar between the Cloud and DT770s.

Dear members,

I have been using the Bose QC25 and QC35 for well over 3 years now, and I've never replaced them with another brand for one reason, and reason only... comfort.

Those guys you can wear for literally tens of hours without any fatigue.

One year ago I jumped on the PC master race wagon, i was looking for a comfy gaming headset.

I've tried the following without any satisfaction really:

1. Logitech G633.

2. Hyper X cloud.

3. Massdrop x Sennheiser  PC37X.

The Logitech G633 was really really aweful in terms of comfort.

The other two were not that bad really, but not as good as the Bose, man !

The question now,

any recommendation on a gaming headset ( any headset with a mic really ) that is as comfy as the bose qc25 and qc35 ??

thanks alot !

I have been using Bose QC headphones since the first hit the market.  Only thing that I have done to them in all these years is replace the ear pads when necessary.  My computer uses Bose, my wife's Apple (sry), is a Bose, and all the other sound in the house comes from Bose.  I have an original set of Bose 901's that I bought while stationed at Clark Air Base in the Philippines in 1976 and they still work like new, will never get rid of them.  My advice, stick with Bose.

4 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I have been using Bose QC headphones since the first hit the market.  Only thing that I have done to them in all these years is replace the ear pads when necessary.  My computer uses Bose, my wife's Apple (sry), is a Bose, and all the other sound in the house comes from Bose.  I have an original set of Bose 901's that I bought while stationed at Clark Air Base in the Philippines in 1976 and they still work like new, will never get rid of them.  My advice, stick with Bose.

Man, 

I still use them for EVERYTHING else other than gamin.

However, I need a dedicated gaming headset to be using a cable, having a mic. + be comfy

and every single one i try sucks compared to the Bose comfort.

I've been hearing about the new cooler masters MH751/752 , they claim to be super comfy ... anyone tried them compared to the Bose ?

Try the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250ohm with the velvet ear pads. You'll never go back. Buy the mic separate. The headphone+mic scene is a joke.

It's similar to the Clouds, so you might be able to purchase the velvet ear pads and swap them out. Although I don't know if the drivers and tuning are similar between the Cloud and DT770s.

21 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Very nice ,

i will look into it .

Do you also recommed the DT990 ?? Or is your recommendation strictly to the 770 ? I don’t really know the difference 

Just now, -|ZeRO|- said:

Do you also recommed the DT990 ?? Or is your recommendation strictly to the 770 ? I don’t really know the difference 

The 990 is open back, and the 770 is closed. The 990 has slightly less bass, but the highs can be overwhelming by comparison. Although for gaming the 990 can be decent. The bass on the 770 is quite impressive and detailed as long as it's in the source, but it isn't bloated IMO.

Do I recommend the 990? Not for music, but otherwise yes. It's open back, which means people around you will be able to hear what you're listening to, and you will need a quiet environment or else external noises will intrude on your experience. You won't be able to use the 990 in an office setting, and they are completely useless on an airplane.

The 770 is basically sealed to your head. I can't hear anyone at work when I listen with them, even if they are right behind me. I've also used them on airplanes and can still hear without any of that noise canceling stuff.

Both are available with the velvet ear pads - this is the only feature that I cannot recommend enough.

Your comment are hugly informtive, can’t thank you enough...

i think I’ll go with thr 990 since i will use it for gaming exclusively and i have relatively quite environment,

i have the bose qc35 for planes and such

one last question, which version do i take ? How much impedence ??

my MOBO is asus z270e, it says it can drive upto 600 ohms ... 

whats your recommendation ? 

Appreciate it

41 minutes ago, -|ZeRO|- said:

one last question, which version do i take ? How much impedence ??

Do a little research before you purchase because not all impedance versions come with the velvet/velour ear pads. I have the pro 250ohm version and I find it is a good balance because I use an amp at work, but my phone and tablet can still power it if needed. I wouldn't buy the 32ohm or the 600ohm, so something in between. I think it's usually 80 or 250ohm... it doesn't really matter.

2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Do a little research before you purchase because not all impedance versions come with the velvet/velour ear pads. I have the pro 250ohm version and I find it is a good balance because I use an amp at work, but my phone and tablet can still power it if needed. I wouldn't buy the 32ohm or the 600ohm, so something in between. I think it's usually 80 or 250ohm... it doesn't really matter.

I will definitely take the earbpads into consideration,

thanks alot man !

6 minutes ago, -|ZeRO|- said:

I will definitely take the earbpads into consideration,

thanks alot man !

Anytime!

If possible save for Massdrop HE4XX, theorically they should blow out of the water all these 3 including beyerdynamic dt770/990/880. ( except that DT 770 is rly good for bassheads ).

I personally switched from Sennheiser HD 598 to HE4XX and i consider it huge upgrade for gaming.
HE4XX has pretty neutral but fun sound, so u will hear any detail ingame, since its planars the bass wont cloud the mids much and gonna be in alot better quality.

4XX cons: Hard af to drive ( but same with DT770/990/880 ), so you will need an amp ( DAC-X6 is the cheapest option that should drive them well ). But without amp they also work, just bit on the silent levels.

6 minutes ago, Exaco said:

If possible save for Massdrop HE4XX, theorically they should blow out of the water all these 3 including beyerdynamic dt770/990/880. ( except that DT 770 is rly good for bassheads ).

I personally switched from Sennheiser HD 598 to HE4XX and i consider it huge upgrade for gaming.
HE4XX has pretty neutral but fun sound, so u will hear any detail ingame, since its planars the bass wont cloud the mids much and gonna be in alot better quality.

4XX cons: Hard af to drive ( but same with DT770/990/880 ), so you will need an amp ( DAC-X6 is the cheapest option that should drive them well ). But without amp they also work, just bit on the silent levels.

Man, thanks for the advice.

I don't really care that much about sound quality to be honest.

I need a comfortable pair, that has a nice sound stage for gaming...

any idea what's more comfy ? the DT990 or the HE4XX ??

23 minutes ago, -|ZeRO|- said:

Man, thanks for the advice.

I don't really care that much about sound quality to be honest.

I need a comfortable pair, that has a nice sound stage for gaming...

any idea what's more comfy ? the DT990 or the HE4XX ??

I suppose DT990, but probably both close ( i wear HE4XX pretty much all day without issues, some ppl might have clamping force problems depending on head size i guess, i have ~medium head size ). if u need extreme comfort go for Sennheisers, they're usually very lightweight and has soft velour pads. Not essentially the PC37X, there's also HD 598SR which sometimes drops to ~100$ ( currently 139$ which is good price ), they don't need amp.

Based on Rtings the Bose is rated 8.5 for comfort, the 598 is also 8.5, DT 990 is 7.5.

Now since I’m committed to the DT990, I would like to buy a good amp.

I would like an amp which can drive the DT990 ( 250 ohms ) and have a mic port ( I’m planning to buy a modMic )

Portability of size isn’t a concern since it will be on my PC.

Any suggestions ?

39 minutes ago, -|ZeRO|- said:

Now since I’m committed to the DT990, I would like to buy a good amp.

I would like an amp which can drive the DT990 ( 250 ohms ) and have a mic port ( I’m planning to buy a modMic )

Portability of size isn’t a concern since it will be on my PC.

Any suggestions ?

JDS Labs Atom / Schiit Magni 3, both ~100$, doesn't have DAC ( but if u gonna need virtual surround it wont work most likely with DAC ) and since ure not after good sound quality like you said the DAC wont make huge difference anyway, mby +5% sound quality at best.

Cheapest option with DAC and enough power: DAC-X6 

Less power but superior DAC: FiiO K3 ( small so controlling volume will suck ). 
I personally use FiiO K5 ( ignore the ghetto walls :D )
20180212_031550.thumb.jpg.eb84c243058968f6ea36c1bc967671f2.jpg

8 hours ago, Exaco said:

Where is this info about the 770s being good for bass heads? The 770s can produce really good bass as long as it’s in the source. I don’t find it particularly bass heavy like, for example, the M50x that is very bass forward. I’ve seen the FR for 770 and it doesn’t fully support the “bass heavy” reputations it’s received lately.

The 600ohm maybe be very hard to drive, but the 250ohm and lower use a relatively sensitive driver. I can still power it with an iPhone 5c.

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Where is this info about the 770s being good for bass heads? The 770s can produce really good bass as long as it’s in the source. I don’t find it particularly bass heavy like, for example, the M50x that is very bass forward. I’ve seen the FR for 770 and it doesn’t fully support the “bass heavy” reputations it’s received lately.

The 600ohm maybe be very hard to drive, but the 250ohm and lower use a relatively sensitive driver. I can still power it with an iPhone 5c.

Everyone says that DT770 Pro has good bass, i personally didn't heard them.

5 hours ago, Exaco said:

Everyone says that DT770 Pro has good bass, i personally didn't heard them.

My bad. Someone else on this forum mentioned the 770 has “insanely bloated” bass the other day and I let it go. When I saw you mention it, I felt like I had missed something because I use it every day at work and the bass is not bloated. But you were just saying it is good. Sorry for snappin’!

20 hours ago, -|ZeRO|- said:

Dear members,

I have been using the Bose QC25 and QC35 for well over 3 years now, and I've never replaced them with another brand for one reason, and reason only... comfort.

Those guys you can wear for literally tens of hours without any fatigue.

One year ago I jumped on the PC master race wagon, i was looking for a comfy gaming headset.

I've tried the following without any satisfaction really:

1. Logitech G633.

2. Hyper X cloud.

3. Massdrop x Sennheiser  PC37X.

The Logitech G633 was really really aweful in terms of comfort.

The other two were not that bad really, but not as good as the Bose, man !

The question now,

any recommendation on a gaming headset ( any headset with a mic really ) that is as comfy as the bose qc25 and qc35 ??

thanks alot !

Honestly I use Bose QC35 with my pc for this very reason.

I have also thought about getting a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P9s for my pc but I can't justify the cost....but the P9s and P7s are maybe the only headsets ive ever tried that are comfier than my bose

My RIG:

I7 6700k - GTX 1080 -  32GB Ram - 256GB 950 Pro(boot) + 1TB 850 EVO(Programs) + 4TB 860 EVO(Games) + 1TB WD Black (Files)