Nvidia on Freesync

pstarlord

Forgive me if this topic has come up already, if it has, I haven't seen it.  

All the talk about Radeon VII has somewhat overshadowed the fact that Nvidia is now making their GPU's compatible with other adaptive sync tech, like Free Sync.  One of the biggest selling points for a long time for the AMD cards, was that you could save a pretty good chunk of money by not having to pay the premium for a G Sync monitor if you wanted to use adaptive sync.  

I'm primarily starting this thread to possibly try to consolidate any information/rumors/news on the effects this could have on other portions of the market.  I, as many others have, learned to trust but verify...especially from tech companies. haha.  So, if you come across any info on how this could change the landscape of the GPU market, or if the experience of using an Nvidia GPU on a Free Sync monitor will be up to expectation.  Even just possible theories on how things could pan out with it. 

What ya'll think?

I currently have a GTX 780 on a FreeSync display.

I'm interested to see if Nvidia's upcoming driver to allow this to work will actually fix some of the tearing issues I get in Rocket League(the only game I experience any kind of tearing in).

I'd imagine this will have a pretty big impact on the display industry moreso than the GPU market, since consumers won't have to shell out for a G-Sync monitor, and can just buy a FreeSync display and use that.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm interested to see if Nvidia's upcoming driver to allow this to work will actually fix some of the tearing issues I get in Rocket League(the only game I experience any kind of tearing in).

I'd imagine this will have a pretty big impact on the display industry moreso than the GPU market, since consumers won't have to shell out for a G-Sync monitor, and can just buy a FreeSync display and use that.

AFAIK the FS support is only for Pascal/Turing... Maybe Maxwell. Kepler cards... Good luck, that would be sweet. 

BTW, can you use FastSync with Kepler? 

Also, there is still work around by using AMD APU or dGPU as a pass through for FreeSync. 

No idea about how bad the latency is though. 

Just now, WereCat said:

AFAIK the FS support is only for Pascal/Turing... Maybe Maxwell. Kepler cards... Good luck, that would be sweet. 

Also, there is still work around by using AMD APU or dGPU as a pass through for FreeSync. 

Not sure about FastSync.

FreeSync would be nice, I didn't think about the new part. I still run the same driver versions as Pascal though, so there's hope. I'll wait for it to release and see if I can install it.

It wouldn't be worth investing in a new PSU or new APU just to eliminate minor tearing in one game I rarely play.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Tough luck only Pascal and Turing will be supported.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Fast Sync is only available on GeForce 900 and after: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4162/~/what-are-the-gpu-requirements-for-using-fast-sync%3F

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Probably not.

If you're lucky Pascal might get the Update.

Maxwell and older probably not...

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I'd say its negligable as its done via PCIe, so less than a ms or so...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Tough luck only Pascal and Turing will be supported.

I believe Nvidia said they were testing with Pascal and Turing, but there is nothing official that says it won't work with older cards. I've also heard that output port version may play into it too, but it's really a software rather than hardware limitation.

I will test with my gtx 960 and certified Asus freesync monitor.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430