My Corsair H70 is getting old

Cirga

as title says, I am using a old, probably closing in on 8 years now, Corsair H70 on my stock clocked i5-6600k. it was originally bought new for an i5-2500k that was upgraded a few years back, and the cooler, reused. 

idle temps in my equally as old Antec P183 are about 30c idle, low 50s under gaming load(wow world quests), and Prime 95 pushes cpu temps to high 60's but not hitting 70c in any of my recent temperature tests.

so temperatures are still seemingly well controlled. but the simple age of the cooler is beginning to give me pause. i am unsure if i should be replacing the cooler simply because its seen almost 8 years of daily use, or if my nagging concern of late is un-warranted. as the cooler is still going strong, and is fine to keep going for now.

any insights would be appreciated.

Well if you aren't seeing leaks and higher than average temps... then it should be fine. By the sounds of it, the cooler was well taken care of. By what I mean by that is you aren't having your CPU pegged at 100% for 24/7. 

If the thing starting to run hot, hotter than normal, or making some weird sounds, then yes. Change it out. But that is my opinion. I have a Corsair 650TX PSU running in a AMD FX line with a 7950 and that is now 8 or so years old and it still works like a champ.  

Fire Tail: CPU - Intel 7700k. MOBO - MSI M5 Gaming Z270

RAM - G.Skill RipJaws V 2x8GB (16GB). GPU - MSI 1070 Gaming X

Editing Rig: CPU - AMD Ryzen 3900x with NZTX Krackenx240. MOBO - MSI ACE MEG Z570

RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (16GBx2) 3200hz. GPU - MSI Gaming Trio 2070 Super

if it works, it works! i don't think replacing your cooler should be necessary. yeah it is pretty old, tough normally the first thing to die in an AIO would be the pump. if that thing isn;t making any weird noises you should be fine.

what could also become a concern is permiation, as liquid actually exits the cooler through the tubes. tough if your pump is not sucking in any air you should be good on that front aswell.

i cant hear any odd noises from the system, tomorrow ill make the time to pull the side panel with it running, get my ear in to see if i can hear anything being masked or muffled by heavy case side panels.

thanks.

High 60's seems a bit high to me for a water cooled system, especially a stock 6600k.

I'm running an i7-6850k with a -85mv undervolt on an Enermax T-50 Axe (single fan air cooler), and Prime 95 makes my CPU peak at 50c after 6 minutes of use.

VfTjw3O.jpg

Mind you, your temps are perfectly safe. But if I were you, I'd probably switch out for a high TDP air cooler at least.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

well, with a side panel off, and my ear up to the system, i can hear a strong, noticeable ticking, that was obscured by the side panels and the computer being under a desk. stopping every single fan didn't stop the noise, and using software to adjust pump speed did seem to change the speed of the ticking.

does it mean the pump is about to expire? i cant say.

what i can say is if a normal fan was making that level of racket id be replacing it. hence, it appears im making a trip to my local memory express.

also, antec p183, the side panels are an effective noise damper. with the side panel off, sitting at my desk i can still hear the tick, faintly, but its there.

Ticking could very well be a bad pump, which would explain why your temps seem a bit high for a stock 6600k.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

18 hours ago, Cirga said:

well, with a side panel off, and my ear up to the system, i can hear a strong, noticeable ticking, that was obscured by the side panels and the computer being under a desk. stopping every single fan didn't stop the noise, and using software to adjust pump speed did seem to change the speed of the ticking.

does it mean the pump is about to expire? i cant say.

what i can say is if a normal fan was making that level of racket id be replacing it. hence, it appears im making a trip to my local memory express.

also, antec p183, the side panels are an effective noise damper. with the side panel off, sitting at my desk i can still hear the tick, faintly, but its there.

If it still works it still works. Can't hurt to replace it but at the same time is it really that big a deal

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I'd suggest picking up a high end air cooler, since you hear that ticking noise.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

i have replaced the H70, with a new corsair H80i V2. temps are much better now, 30+ minute prime 95 torture test is sitting about 50c with a peaks to 55c now.

as for a good air cooler, i did look into that, but i was having issues finding reliable information for how large the Antec p183 would take, i couldn't find anything official, and could only find random, old forum posts with claims of size ranges between 160mm and 170mm max height. as i didn't want to buy a good Noctua, Phanteck, BeQuiet! or similar tower, only to not be able to fit my side panel again, as the ones i was interested in, were all claiming 160-175mm height requirements, i chose another similar AIO water cooler to what i had been using as i knew that would fit.

thanks to everyone who's offered insight into this for me.

Im using an old revision H50 to cool my i5-8600K and it's holding damned good temps (50-60c in games, 70-75c in synthetics). If its not broke dont fix it!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは