Advantages of mac os over windows os ?

i'm looking to buy a new laptop this year , Mainly for general use purpose, some programming and graphic designing .

I never used a mac before , i'did a little research , and a lot of programmers prefer mac os because it's Unix based

How much of difference would that make ,

secondly of course the ability of ios /mac os development , but i'm not into that anyway 

And is there any thing else that mac os get ahead of windows os  ?

confused between the new Raze blade 15 advanced and the 15 inch Macbook

any recommendations 

23 minutes ago, IMF95 said:

I never used a mac before , i'did a little research , and a lot of programmers prefer mac os because it's Unix based

How much of difference would that make ,

secondly of course the ability of ios /mac os development , but i'm not into that anyway 

And is there any thing else that mac os get ahead of windows os  ?

confused between the new Raze blade 15 advanced and the 15 inch Macbook

any recommendations 

Just don't care about whether it's unix-based or not, if you don't use the CLI you are not going to take the advantages of it
With that said, Linux and MacOS they are stable and don't suffer from BSOD's like Windows often

I would take a Mac PC just for the things @vinyldash303 said about the build quality especially the trackpad, you could use Windows 10 and Linux on it though
The downside is the price and the performance obv...

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

My MBP has had more kernal panics in the years it was running OS X than both it running windows and my desktop have had combined

Lol that's funny though, could it be some strange macos updates? 

I never seen one kernel panic from Linux tho in my life except when I basically ripped the sata cable off my main drive and when I removed the disk drivers

Mostly the same on my hacktinosh (though I used it just for 3 months) 

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

My MBP has had more kernal panics in the years it was running OS X than both it running windows and my desktop have had combined

then it has a defect of some kind. probably the GPU. is yours a Late 2011?

Late 2011 15" and 17" MBP's suffer from radeongate (google it). you can fix that by disabling the dedicated GPU so that it will only run on the Intel GPU. guides for that here and here. I did the efi fix from MacRumors and I removed the resistor on my 15" late 2011 and that thing has been working perfectly fine on both macOS and Linux. 

if you are gonna do that DO THE EFI FIX FIRST!!!

however if you do this Windows will no longer work. 

and of course you'll be losing GPUs performance since it will only run on the dedicated card. 

5 hours ago, Lukyp said:

you could use Windows 10 and Linux on it though

not Linux if it's a modern Mac with a T2 chip. that chip messes with Linux and doesn't allow it to install afaik. 

@IMF95 for me the main advantages of MacBooks and macOS are the amazing trackpads, and all the software you get for free. I'm talking pages, numbers and keynote, as well as iMovie. macOS is also a lot more polished in ym opinion. 

She/Her

- You have control over updates

- Better interface (incl. dark mode)

- Generally more stable and secure

- No ads

- Better permission system

- Other advantages of a unix-based OS

- etc...

🙂

2 hours ago, duncannah said:

- No ads

Wow, I did not know that windows show you ads. Gotta pay the bills somehow I guess. 

that "premium feel" people often talking about, yes, you get that.

from the trackpad to the screen to the unibody design, apple's laptop screams premium.

don't let others tell you they don't feel the difference or people who buy apple's products are just sheep.

there is a difference.

The more I use macOS the more I felt that stability wise, it is better than windows, but not perfect especially in the recent years.

If I were you I will probably get a mac, depends on my budget. If for the same money, I will get a mac. Even spec wise it is weaker.

macOS is reallllyyy good for multitasking and productivity usage.

I use my 2018 13 inch non touchbar daily, I have a 8700 desktop laying on the floor collecting dust.

I don't know whether twitter's official app had been taken down from macOS app store. But find me a windows app that is as elegant as macOS's native apps.

I couldn't find any. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I'm a recent convert to Mac as a daily use machine. I'm primarily a .Net developer so some of my items might not relate to your needs depending on languages but I'll do my best.

- The track pad is second to none. No question. I know it's been mentioned before but it needs to be mentioned again. I even bought a magic trackpad to use on my desk when I'm docked ?.

- I've not been unable to do something that I could with Windows/Linux. Not that there aren't things, just that I haven't encountered them. Having Xcode is reason enough to at least own a Mac. I haven't done Obj C or Swift in a while but unless something has changed a Mac is still required to publish to App Store. Additionally using tools like Parallels (my preferred option) you can still run Windows or Linux with ease which means you lose out on basically nothing (gaming?).

- Build quality is excellent.

- The I/O debate is a little overcooked IMO. Yeah sometimes it's frustrating but I keep 4 or 5 little A to C connectors and a few dongles that just live in my bag for the few times I use them. I'm also a big fan of the MX Master mouse which works with bluetooth so no big deal, and I have a dock on my desk where I would use my keyboard. YMMV on this one for sure but after the initial adjustment I'm pretty happy with the 4 Thunderbolt ports.

- iMessage and the "ecosystem". iMessage is the best overall if you ask me. Having that on my computer and all my iStuff integrated works for me. If you're not as into Apple devices this might be irrelevant to you.

Just to be fair I do have some negatives

- I have a 2016 and I honestly dislike the keyboard on the device. It's not terrible but I type with unnecessarily heavy fingers and the short throw is just uncomfortable. I've heard the newer versions are slightly improved but I'm not sure there's much room to keep the design and make me happy. YMMV again. As a p.s. the keys also seem to attract a lot of gunk.

- I do miss MagSafe. There are connectors that you can buy to kind of replicate this function but it's also nice to be able to use any port for power. Idk I simultaneously miss it and don't. I should delete this line but I wanted more things in the negative column to try and be fair ?

- Visual Studio. As mentioned I'm primarily .Net and not having a true VS is somewhat of a bummer. That being said, Rider (JetBrains) is starting to get quite good so this complaint might not last very long.

I guess in summary  I definitely believe that no device is perfect. For development it makes a whole lot of sense to have a Mac around at minimum. If you're in a position where you just want one device I think the pros certainly outweigh the cons.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:56 PM, georgezilla said:

And seeing how most people went OT to hardware, I would like to actually answer the question

There isn’t a distinction. macOS comes with the hardware. You can’t talk about one without the other. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

it's not windows but it is mind controlled by Apple and who wants that? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, PacketMan said:

I had to sell mine to buy a Windows laptop to run Windows/Linux

Why didn't you use Boot Camp though?

🙂

Just now, georgezilla said:

So your comment is in fact incorrect

Cool bro, have a nice day

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)