$39.99 1TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD w/ Promo Code

Paul Rudd
6 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

My HDD has been running my OS flawlessly for the past 2 years. No issues whatsoever.

which is.......expected behavior?

your hard drive isn't fast , and i'm guessing its not large either. so it has almost no benefit over a large hdd , or a fast ssd.

if you're going to spend 40$ it better be fast , or large. and if it's an os drive then it only need be fast. running windows 10 off a 1tb hard drive like its 2011 isn't the answer.

no point in replying anymore to someone who has never even used an ssd so bye

6 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

What would NEW PC gamers rather do, spend $39.99 on a 1TB HDD and play virtually ANY game they wish or spend $192.60 on an 8TB HDD and NOT be able to play a single game on it since they can't afford the rest of their PC parts?

get an ssd and actually be able to use a computer as its meant to be used.
pc gamming is supposed to be a much better experience than a console and your
"buy cheap parts and have the machine run like crap"

method , isn't a good one.
i'm done responding.

7 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Or maybe instead of dropping $150 on a slow 8TB drive...

$150 can also buy a damn GPU these days. Or a CPU and PSU. An 8TB HDD is just unnecessary.

14 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Completely unrelated here... but an SSD for OS and applications is completely worth it... I wasn't a believer until I got one...

Exactly. My MX500 250GB (currently in my old PC) is brilliant, but even with its low price I didn't have the budget for it until a few months ago.

I never had any problems with my 1TB WD Blue drive.

The only problem I ever had was when GTA V took nearly 5 minutes to load, but that was due to me having about 1GB of storage space left. 

I would still spend more money on a better CPU and GPU if I'm honest. Sure, having an SSD is nice but I would rather the better components.

Also I'm gonna leave. Not much point trying to show people the perspective of a gamer on a budget/broke high school student (like myself) who can't afford an SSD and HDD. I don't think many people would mind sacrificing some read/write speed for the extra CPU/GPU money tbh, but that's my opinion.

I'm not trying to force my opinions on anyone, I'm just speaking from my own perspective.

i also have no idea how this went from someone saying "hey guys look this hdd is on sale" to a full on flame war, although i can't say i'm surprised because this has been happening all day on other threads. 

6 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

I wasn't a believer until I got one...

I've used one lately(I put one in a new build to install Windows on). I will admit it makes the PC boot up in literally 10 seconds. But is that worth NOT having an HDD with wayyyyy more space on it? To me, I'd rather have more space. My PC boots up in around 30 seconds on my HDD. That's not a big deal to have to wait to me. Having such a small size SSD also limits you insanely in space. You can't store but just a few big games on it. Then the rest of your games you're gonna put on a seperate HDD anyway. Unless you're saving up tons of more money to afford higher end SSD's.

6 hours ago, emosun said:

which is.......expected behavior?

Derrrrr.

your hard drive isn't fast , and i'm guessing its not large either. so it has almost no benefit over a large hdd , or a fast ssd.

My HDD is fast actually. The delay is not extreme by any means. And I have both a 1TB HDD and a 3TB HDD. The most amount of time I am waiting on either for a game to load is around 20-60 seconds. That's enough time to go pee or grab something to drink. Then once the game is loaded up, I have yet to see any other 60 seconds loading screen. It's more along the lines of 10-30 seconds, if that.

if you're going to spend 40$ it better be fast , or large. and if it's an os drive then it only need be fast. running windows 10 off a 1tb hard drive like its 2011 isn't the answer.

Show me a link to a $40 fast or large HDD and I'll buy 5 of them. In 2011, I was using Windows XP. I'm used to being patient.

no point in replying anymore to someone who has never even used an ssd so bye

You are on my topic dude. I reply to everything on my topics.

If one insists on an HDD - better get a cheap SSD and a used HDD (said it yourself - money is the the biggest factor for a budget gamer).

Used hard drives are less likely to fail, as far as I remember reading their first 1-2 years is when they're the most likely to die, afterward there wasn't any appreciable increase in fail rate.

Of my current 5 drives, 4 were purchased used.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Just now, A Random Dude said:

I've used one lately(I put one in a new build to install Windows on). I will admit it makes the PC boot up in literally 10 seconds. But is that worth NOT having an HDD with wayyyyy more space on it? To me, I'd rather have more space. My PC boots up in around 30 seconds on my HDD. That's not a big deal to have to wait to me. Having such a small size SSD also limits you insanely in space. You can't store but just a few big games on it. Then the rest of your games you're gonna put on a seperate HDD anyway. Unless you're saving up tons of more money to afford higher end SSD's.

Depending on use case, it may or may not make the difference. Because my PC games as a secondary thing, having the SSD for really fast file transfers and using applications keeps my sanity in check while working. I have a homebrew NAS to store files on so I'm not as concerned about space. If I was building strictly a gaming PC, spending money on a hard drive larger than...say...2TB would be wasteful IMO. An SSD isn't a necessity but it is very very nice to have. Which is why I would opt for a smaller boot SSD and a spinning drive to store the games on.

I wish that drive was on sale a few months ago. A family member needed a new HDD for their family PC (which had no reason to upgrade to an 8TB drive). Could have saved them a few bucks.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, emosun said:

"buy cheap parts and have the machine run like crap"

I'm only gonna state this one more time, my PC runs FLAWLESSLY on cheap parts. Crap is how my consoles run.

12 minutes ago, emosun said:

god why are some guys just so dumb it's frustrating as hell ugh.....

What makes a flawless running PC dumb?

1 minute ago, A Random Dude said:

You are on my topic dude

ma'am

6 hours ago, 1kv said:

The only problem I ever had was when GTA V took nearly 5 minutes to load

Initial load, sometimes. Once it's loaded, it's loaded. No more 5 minute loads. Just 10-30 second loading screens.

6 hours ago, 1kv said:

Sure, having an SSD is nice but I would rather the better components.

EXACTAMUNDO

6 hours ago, 1kv said:

I'm not trying to force my opinions on anyone, I'm just speaking from my own perspective.

Likewise.

6 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

having the SSD for really fast file transfers and using applications keeps my sanity in check while working.

I have found this to be the one benefit worth owning an SSD for. It does suck waiting for things to transfer from USB to HDD or vice versa. I can't ghost my HDD to an SSD without wiping it first though. And that would be wiping tons of games I play. Nah, I'll pass.

ma'am

My mistake, ma'am.

20 extra seconds is not worth losing TB's of HDD space...

For a gamer that is.

2 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

20 extra seconds is not worth losing TB's of HDD space...

you.... dont know that a game pulls assets from the drive while you play it do you?

unless you thought all 60 gigs of gta 5 gets loaded into the ram and then pulls nothing while you play it.

I'm also willing to be you've never just left your drive usage monitor open while playing the game to see just how often it's sitting at 100% usage while quickly moving through the enviroment in a car or jet.

or perhaps you have the textures set so low you've found a way around it.

why am i even replying again? you aren't going to actually check your drive usage during the game your pride prevents that. lol

2 hours ago, emosun said:

you.... dont know that a game pulls assets from the drive while you play it do you?

Of course I know this. And there's only 1 game that I play that has some type of performance hit going on in that department and that's Arma III. Which I barely play anyway. It doesn't make the game unplayable but it's definitely noticeable when you first load up the game.

I'm also willing to be you've never just left your drive usage monitor open while playing the game to see just how often it's sitting at 100% usage while quickly moving through the enviroment in a car or jet.

Nope. Never had the need to by any means when my games play flawlessly. I would think a 100% HDD usage would cause some type of stuttering. I have yet to see this stuttering so that should mean my HDD does not hit and hold 100%.

or perhaps you have the textures set so low you've found a way around it.

I'm using a 1070 paired with an i5. Just about every game I play I set textures to Ultra or Very High. Going any lower in most games doesn't give you much fps gain. You'd think it would with textures but it doesn't. Sure in some games it does but in the majority of games it doesn't. Now I do set other fps demanding settings to low or medium or even off provided it doesn't have much of a difference visually. Here's a few examples of what I'm talking about with textures...

jc3tex.png.713520ca78ce537ddaaab0d1cc8c0c24.png

gta5tex.png.9fe5ada2075390d999f99784fdb45b05.png

wd2tex.png.3c6e4bd08c2a3e36188552d53c16e656.png

riseoftex.png.3c7804b42e88cf4a2ece6a3cfbc2c782.png

you aren't going to actually check your drive usage during the game your pride prevents that. lol

Why would I if the game plays flawlessly? I might check something like that if it were hindering the performance of the game but it's not. 

On 1/8/2019 at 12:48 PM, emosun said:

this isn't a good way to think as you get less for your money spending 40$ on a tb drive.

if you are low on money , then you get the most for your money.

not going change my mind there lol.

What I mean is you can build an overall better system for your money when you are restricted to a lower budget, because most gamers never use more than 400 GB on their system and if they do they would likely keep that data on another HDD external or internal that they would purchase later in the lifespan of the system. So I ask which would make for the better system for most gamers? A rig with a GTX 1050 and an 8100 with an 8TB HDD and a 250GB SSD, or a setup with an 9400 with a GTX 1060 or a RTX 2060 with a 120 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD? 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

• 2 weeks later...