Experiences with parents buying tech

Butterfish

Hey guys,

Thought i it would be fun to hear your experiences with your parents when it comes to purchasing tech. What have you gone through with them, where a face palm just wasn't enough?

I will start, but mine has a happy ending lol

I overheard my parents talking about buying a new flatscreen and i joined the conversation. I found out that they had planned to buy a Bang&Olufsen (Danish manufacturer) 50" TV. These things are INSANELY overpriced. They were ready to throw over $5000 at it.. The picture quality is not that great, but you pay the premium for name and design. I quickly started ranting and got irritated over this stupid idea, and told them how much more they could get from other brands like Samsung etc.. They didn't seem like they would listen so i left in table while shaking my head. 

The next day, they returned to me and said that they changed their mind and bought a Samsung 55" 4K UHD TV. 

HOLY MOSES!

​I can't wait to check it out, and might try to play some games on it despite the furious lag that might, or more certainly WILL occur :D

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

My parents don't buy shit. Too poor. We had someone else drive us to New York City..

the bang and olufsen is pretty good though. my parents still have a 20 year old cd drive that is used as an amp for our tv.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Ah, you're right. Whoops

Main Rig
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Phone

7b95b7536e2cbe244e116272138cdd48069329e7

the bang and olufsen is pretty good though. my parents still have a 20 year old cd drive that is used as an amp for our tv.

The audio products they make a pretty impressive. The tv's don't make any sense to me tho.

Main Rig
Phone

My father bought a Sony 1366x768 32 inch TV for 400 euros but there was another 1080p 32inch TV for 350 euros which he hadn't seen

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

My dad knows what he's doing when it comes to this stuff. He's the one who got me my motherboard/CPU/RAM for Xmas 2012 and my NZXT Phantom case last Xmas.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

The audio products they make a pretty impressive. The tv's don't make any sense to me tho.

the audio stuff looks pretty sweet, even after that long. still a minimalistic black/chrome look

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Dad is just as much of a Techy as I am, so he is great at buying. He usually takes care of anything my Mum needs to so she never has anything that is overpriced/bad.

Last PC he bought was a prebuilt in fairness, but he haggled and got a bunch of, so having an i7 in a pc that over all was less than £600 is great for his work.

Last thing he bought was a Nexus 7 (2013) and a Nexus 5, and Mum is probably getting a Moto G soonish to get her started with android.

Pretty sure for all three he has read a bunch of reviews and stuff, and watched the MKBHD vids I sent him on them.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

My dad comes to me for his tech.

Advised him a Nexus 5, he likes it.

But he is in the hospital now. :(

My dad comes to me for his tech.

Advised him a Nexus 5, he likes it.

But he is in the hospital now. :(

Why did you let the power of a Nexus on an untechy hand it was obvious that he is going to hurt himself with that mucth power. (Jk he may recover fast)

Well my dad is a computer engineer so he knows his basic tech but he is just really cheap. My monitor died on me and I had to settle on a heap Acer TN monitor.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

My parents ask me to buy all their stuff. (With their money of coarse)

My mom bought a galaxy s3 because she claimed she couldn't get texts from iPhones.... My brother had her old phone model also... It worked just fine. Now she can't get off of Facebook ever and it drives me insane when we watch movies at the house.

Well my dad knows 120Hz is better then 60Hz and idk how he learned that but I'm proud

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

My parents always ask me my opinion on technology if they need it, but I've shown they sites like pricespy.co.nz to get the best prices. They're not illiterate in technology, and they learn about things, so that's great.

#!

post-6374-0-35583900-1389594320_thumb.jp

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Ow gawd, they actually bought the B&O anyways..

463px-Facepalm.png

Main Rig
Phone