MPAA is Creating a Curriculum to be used in Elementary Schools to Teach Students the Value of Copyright and Dangers of Piracy

EChondo

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/11/5090700/the-mpaa-wants-schools-to-teach-first-graders-the-dangers-of-digital

The copyright lobby hasn't been shy about pressing the anti-piracy case, but a new LA Times report suggests they're taking the battle to a place it's never been before: schools. A group called the Center for Copyright Information — backed by copyright groups like the Motion Picture Association of America and the Recording Industry Association of America, among others — is currently developing a curriculum in California to teach elementary schoolers the value of copyright and the dangers of piracy.

Called "Be a Creator," the proposed curriculum would target kindergarten through six graders with lessons like "Respect the Person: Give Credit," "It's Great to Create," and "Copyright Matters." In one section on image-sharing, teachers are instructed to tell the class, "you're not old enough yet to be selling your pictures online, but pretty soon you will be. And you'll appreciate if the rest of us respect your work by not copying it and doing whatever we want with it."

The committee presented the curriculum in September for pilot testing in the current school year — but as you might expect, teachers associations are skeptical, saying the modern curriculum is already full to bursting without the addition of copyright awareness. Still, copyright groups seem undeterred. As one lobbyist told the Times, "it's important to prepare children to succeed and thrive and learn how to share and create and move files in a way that's ethical and responsible."

What a load of BS.

If anyone is going to teach MY child the Internet, is going to be ME, not some lobbyist copright holders that sue everyone left and right and file false DMCA takedown notices.

Time to encourage kids not to listen to the corporates.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

LOL, that is all I have to saw on the matter. I'm also with you on you teaching you kids about the internet. You probably have far better knowledge of what goes on on the internet compared to those idiots that have their dicks so far up their ass....

Oh great, old farts who have no concept of modern living are at it again.  If I had a child, I agree with @EChondo. So what this is saying is that basically taking somebody's picture of Google Images is unethical? 

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Brainwashing. A corporate entity should have no impact on children's education. This is just f*cked up.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Something like this should be learned just from basic morality, don't steal, don't murder ect. ect., but it has been demonstrated that completely normal and upstanding people who would not steal a DVD from a shop or buy a bootleg copy do actually download an mp3 or movie from the internet, so obviously something is not 'clicking' that that is something that you should not do, so perhaps actually telling people that you are not supposed to do it is right.  

Should this be taught in school, probably not, I doubt anyone waits until they start school to learn sheer basic right from wrong, but if it needs a reiteration in school then so be it.

PS, I know you've underlined and bolded to point out the main points of the article, but it doesn't have the same effect when you practically underline the entire article.

PS, I know you've underlined and bolded to point out the main points of the article, but it doesn't have the same effect when you practically underline the entire article.

Thanks! Will take this into consideration.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Wow. Just wow. It's come down to this now? Corporate greed at its finest.

Welcome to the combination of Brave New World and 1984, people. Free population: 0.

Disgusting corporate pile of excrement.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Nothing new here. This kind of thing has been going on for ages. Public education has always been intended to produce "good citizens", not improve quality of life or job prospects for the individual.

The way the article is written it's not wrong. A lot of people have no concept of ip or how everyone's hard work is just as valuable as theirs, believing instead that only what they do has value.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I think its funny as so many people in my school pirate music all the time.

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

At some point, the people who are pushing forward these decisions will retire/die. We can hope that new entrants to the business have a more modern mindset.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Their bullshit ads didn't work on adults so now they are taking aim at innocent children... Anti-piracy ads always reminds me of this:

They are always too over the top. Hell piracy isn't even an issue for the people like MPAA since they are making more money than ever.

I'm loving how all you guys are going they need to modernise and this is wrong.

Yes it's wrong but the general picture I'm getting here is your all against the creators being paid. Piracy is illegal, piracy should be illegal but the punishments don't fit the crime.

If it wasn't for the general populous actually buying their media instead of pirating it like it common in the computer crowd, then the content producers wouldn't be able to afford to make the content.

Just because you know how to pirate doesn't mean your entitled to free content.

Oh and I work in a school in Australia, kids of that age don't ave a sense of worth so a bit of education towards teaching that stuff has value and creator rights will not hurt the system. But the curriculum has to be written and designed by accomplished teachers not government or corporations.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I'm loving how all you guys are going they need to modernise and this is wrong.

Yes it's wrong but the general picture I'm getting here is your all against the creators being paid. Piracy is illegal, piracy should be illegal but the punishments don't fit the crime.

If it wasn't for the general populous actually buying their media instead of pirating it like it common in the computer crowd, then the content producers wouldn't be able to afford to make the content.

Just because you know how to pirate doesn't mean your entitled to free content.

Oh and I work in a school in Australia, kids of that age don't ave a sense of worth so a bit of education towards teaching that stuff has value and creator rights will not hurt the system. But the curriculum has to be written and designed by accomplished teachers not government or corporations.

I'm not against, but I'm also not for piracy.

You should use piracy because;

1. The content you want to legally purchase is not available in your region.

2. You wish to demo said content before purchasing.

For things like music, I can just listen on the radio or YouTube can buy it if I like it. I wait for movies and TV shows to come to digital services like Netflix and Hulu. However, the only medium that currently does not have a demo or easy access, is video games. I wait for reviews on the game and if I can, demo the game at a friend's place who already bought it(or, thanks to Steam, the new family sharing feature).

I'm not against, but I'm also not for piracy.

You should use piracy because;

1. The content you want to legally purchase is not available in your region.

2. You wish to demo said content before purchasing.

For things like music, I can just listen on the radio or YouTube can buy it if I like it. I wait for movies and TV shows to come to digital services like Netflix and Hulu. However, the only medium that currently does not have a demo or easy access, is video games. I wait for reviews on the game and if I can, demo the game at a friend's place who already bought it(or, thanks to Steam, the new family sharing feature).

If its not available in your country, under Australian legislation (dunno about elsewhere) is not piracy

and if a user purchases said program within 7 days of pirating, then also under Australian law your in a grey area where it's technically is but not Piracy.

Basically in Australia you can return any item you purchase for any reason including not happy with purchase and get a full refund. so technically by extension you could just negate your 7 day period.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

If its not available in your country, under Australian legislation (dunno about elsewhere) is not piracy

Australia is part of the Berne convention so I am pretty sure it is illegal if the content originates from another country also in the Berne convention. If you are in a country like let's say Australia, and download for example anime that's not licensed in Australia, then it still counts as an illegal act because both Australia and Japan are part of the Berne convention, so the copyright in Japan applies to you and the anime you are downloading.

There are also a ton of other intentional copyright agreements you have to take into consideration, and Australia is in all of them.

By the way, 99.9% of the people reading this message will be breaking international copyright laws. My avatar is the property of KyoAni and by opening this website you have saved a copy of their intellectual property to your computer, this made an illegal copy of it.

"There is no way the law is that strict" you might think, but even a forum avatar might not fall under "fair use" some of the times. People have even been sued for using copyrighted images as forum avatars.

Australia is part of the Berne convention so I am pretty sure it is illegal if the content originates from another country also in the Berne convention. If you are in a country like let's say Australia, and download for example anime that's not licensed in Australia, then it still counts as an illegal act because both Australia and Japan are part of the Berne convention, so the copyright in Japan applies to you and the anime you are downloading.

There are also a ton of other intentional copyright agreements you have to take into consideration, and Australia is in all of them.

By the way, 99.9% of the people reading this message will be breaking international copyright laws. My avatar is the property of KyoAni and by opening this website you have saved a copy of their intellectual property to your computer, this made an illegal copy of it.

"There is no way the law is that strict" you might think, but even a forum avatar might not fall under "fair use" some of the times. People have even been sued for using copyrighted images as forum avatars.

Australia may be in agreements, but if the copyright owners do not offer an Australian access for purchase or rental, and no one in Australia has the rights to distribution. then no copyright infringement is caused.

this doesn't include broadcasting materials. eg tv shows and movies that're not yet available elsewhere and not fallen into obscurity.

dunno about your international crud, but I know what I'm covered by under local laws and what I'm capable of doing

granted very rarely is content not available for domestic purchase so this doesn't exactly give you much content to freely download.

This isn't good because the MPAA won't say anything about why things are pirated besides people trying to steal, and the copyright abuse that goes on with the DMCA but If that song came on when people really tried to copy game discs, that'd be hilarious.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

Its funny how they say "you'll appreciate if the rest of us respect your work by not copying it and doing whatever we want with it" while this is what all big media company does with every movie and other thing they do... for example the grimm brothers being stolen by disney then disney protecting the hell out of the stories they stole.