Onda M2 Mini PC w/ Intel Pentium J1900 4Gb DDR3 128Gb SSD

Hey guys,

was browsing on some Chinese store and found this Mini PC which is not that bad considering the price.

I don't know if it just came out or not, here are some images:

hlVdsbP.jpg
dBt6JMG.jpg

Specs:

0cRjTAm.jpg
More specs:

Operating System DOS (supports Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 installation)
CPU Pentium J1900 Quad Core
GPU Intel HD Graphics
RAM 4GB DDR3
ROM 128GB
Communication
Wifi Connectivity 802.11 B/G/N
Ethernet 10/100M RTL8168E
Sound Card Realtek ALC662 5.1
Media
Video Supported AVI/RM/RMVB/MKV/WMV/MOV/MP4/DAT(VCD format)/VOB(DVD format)/PMP/MPEG/MPG/FLV/ASF/TS/TP/3GP/MPG
Audio Supported FLAC/APE/WAV
Picture Supported JPG/BMP/PNG/GIF
Interfaces
HDMI Port Yes
Other Interfaces WiFi Antenna, USB3.0, HDMI, VGA, LAN, 3.5MM Audio, USB2.0

I was wondering if it'd be a good buy for my father, he's an old PC that is super slow and he bothers me every 5 mins with a new problem. How would this perform with MS Office and everything else?

Also I'm not sure if this is a proper PC or it was supposed to be a TV Box.

Lastly, is the Pentium J1900 any good?

I am the one who knocks.

How much is it?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Pretty much the specs my NAS is running. I would only be worried about the quality of the SSD... The J1900 is a Celeron chip with low TDP.... Should be fine for browsing the web and MS Office.

How much is it?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn! That's a pretty OK deal.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

How much is it?

$199 on geek**ying, $189 with the coupon code: OndaM2.

Pretty much the specs my NAS is running. I would only be worried about the quality of the SSD... The J1900 is a Celeron chip with low TDP.... Should be fine for browsing the web and MS Office.

Yep, I was wondering about that too, is there any way of knowing which brand the SSD is?

PS: I guess I'll have to ask them, although I doubt that they even know it.

I am the one who knocks.

Lastly, is the Pentium J1900 any good?

the j1900 is usable for basic tasks like webbrowsing and word processing. although 1080p youtube can get choppy

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

the j1900 is usable for basic tasks like webbrowsing and word processing. although 1080p youtube can get choppy

How's that ? Cheap 100$ PC stick can handle 1080p just fine. Is it missing a h264 decoder or whatever ?

Check out the Kangaroo if you're looking for something "good enough". The only downiside would be the 32GB of storage but you can plug something else if you need. Handles web browsing and office task resonably well.

Review : 

Why the fuck does it have VGA and USB 2!

Edit: I realise VGA is still used, my point was it shouldn't be on new hardware, should have come with an adapter instead and had Displayport or another HDMI port.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I've a PC with a J1900 in the living room and plays 1080 60p video in windows 7 just fine

That's what I thought. I was finding @simson0606 comment kinda strange. Thx for the post. 

How's that ? Cheap 100$ PC stick can handle 1080p just fine. Is it missing a h264 decoder or whatever ?

Check out the Kangaroo if you're looking for something "good enough". The only downiside would be the 32GB of storage but you can plug something else if you need. Handles web browsing and office task resonably well.

Review : 

I've seen those a while back but I think they're really not worth it, 2Gb of RAM is not enough, same for 32Gb if you install some programs, thanks for the idea though.

Ehm.. if you buy a $189 PC you probably don't have a monitor with display-port, for example my father has a VGA monitor and he's fine with it, also there's still HDMI if you want to connect it to something better. 

Same for the USB 2 ports, you don't need that many USB 3.0 ports when you're most likely to connect only 1 USB 3.0 external Hard Drive, the other ports are for mouse, keyboard and flash drive (?). 

I am the one who knocks.

$199 on geek**ying, $189 with the coupon code: OndaM2.

Yep, I was wondering about that too, is there any way of knowing which brand the SSD is?

PS: I guess I'll have to ask them, although I doubt that they even know it.

All assumptions here, but looking at the spec list it probably has a custom PCB, but all the components will be OEM... So the worst case scenario is that you have to buy a new M.2 SSD, or 2.5" SATA SSD.

All assumptions here, but looking at the spec list it probably has a custom PCB, but all the components will be OEM... So the worst case scenario is that you have to buy a new M.2 SSD, or 2.5" SATA SSD.

I suppose you're right, still haven't received an answer from them.

I am the one who knocks.

I will never buy a computer again that has less than 8GB of RAM.

Nice price, but if that's not up-gradable then I wouldn't even consider it.

I believe you have to pay an additional fee to have USB 3.0 ports, per port.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Not Tech News. Moved to General Discussion.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

hmm yeah, that is quite strange (at least the usb2 part) as the J1900 supports quite a lot of usb3 ports.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Looks pretty, like a Mac Mini.

For $200 or less it seems neat.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

VGA is incredibly common as a standard in 3rd and 2nd world countries that are using 2nd hand products, or older tech a lot of the time. Heck, my multi-billion dollar employer still uses VGA for a lot of their teleconferencing equipment and laptop connections & docking stations. And for the resolution that they're running, there is no reason not to. 

Many people think celeron and pentium j and n series are good because they are quad cores. But in fact they are essentially atoms. And are weaker than dual core celerons

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

so many people comparing this xsff to their atx rigs. for youtube and 4 tabs in chrome, 8gb is fine. the cpu might have some difficulty crunching large excel spreadsheets, but ultimately it will be fine for word, powerpoint and outlook. h264 transcoding might be an issue, so i dont know whether VLC will be happy running on the CPU once you mix up video file types for playback. just treat it like any atom processor.

do be aware that you may need to spend a pretty penny getting a licensed copy of windows. would have been nice if the manufacturer included windows embedded, but i suppose it adds to the cost.

VGA is incredibly common as a standard in 3rd and 2nd world countries that are using 2nd hand products, or older tech a lot of the time. Heck, my multi-billion dollar employer still uses VGA for a lot of their teleconferencing equipment and laptop connections & docking stations. And for the resolution that they're running, there is no reason not to. 

Totally agree, I'm not from 2nd or 3rd world but my father is (just kidding, lol), he's happy with his low-res VGA monitor and it's not even worth buying him a new one because he wouldn't care.

Also, who's going to game on this "PC"? And why would you need more than HDMI? It's not like this is marketed towards gamers..

so many people comparing this xsff to their atx rigs. for youtube and 4 tabs in chrome, 8gb is fine. the cpu might have some difficulty crunching large excel spreadsheets, but ultimately it will be fine for word, powerpoint and outlook. h264 transcoding might be an issue, so i dont know whether VLC will be happy running on the CPU once you mix up video file types for playback. just treat it like any atom processor.

do be aware that you may need to spend a pretty penny getting a licensed copy of windows. would have been nice if the manufacturer included windows embedded, but i suppose it adds to the cost.

Yeah it would have been nice, at least Windows 10 which could be for free anyway. I don't get why they compare this to their Gaming PC, I doubt their PC costed $189 total, the PC my father is currently using is my old one, 4Gb were enough and I was editing videos on that machine, sadly the HDD is so fkd up that it slows everything else, in fact buying an SSD is another option, although with this Mini PC we'd save a lot on the bill and it's a cooler present than an SSD, lol.

I am the one who knocks.