Sony Vegas - Is it good?

Go to solution Solved by flibberdipper,

Well, thinking how expensive those two are, I think I'll start small anyway. Then I could use the money I get to get some Adobe CS.

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to get Vegas Pro 13 on Steam probably next year when I upgrade to 16GB of RAM.

Anyway, you guys have a good idea on how well videos get rendered on Sony Vegas? 'Coz in AE it eats chunks out of the old computer I tested it on.

Also, does Vegas Pro support GPU rendering? in AE, if you had a CUDA GPU it renders much faster. I tested it out on my old GTX 660. So awesome.

I'm not sure if Vegas supports my GPU to render with it (7950, too lazy to check), but even then, while I edit it uses it to make things a little snappier.

Export times on my G3258 @ 4.5GHz are almost EXACTLY double what they were on my Q6600.

EDIT: And it ran fine on 8GB of RAM. Granted, it whored a good amount of it up, but ya know. Runs a lot happier on 12GB though.

Hi guys,

I'm wondering how good Sony Vegas is, it is on sale on Steam here for about $131.

I've worked with Adobe AE and Premiere before and I really like AE as you have like total control and the only limit seemingly is one's imagination.

How good is Sony Vegas?

Is it good enough to start a home business making/editing videos?

Any limitations?

Also, I would really like to know if the guys at Sony Pictures use Sony Vegas or Sony Movie Studio, do they? :lol:

And just so no one would do a smart*ss joke, here it is - "they use Windows Movie Maker" :P

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

I like it

After effects is meant for lots of visual effects though, sony vegas doesnt have all of that stuff

but its still really good for editing videos I find, very easy to learn

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I use it for all my videos in tandem with AE (just for intros/outros and such though), and I couldn't be much happier. Definitely better than FCP6 and 7 that I'm stuck using at school.

If you want to do 4K, you'll have to export it as some different file format (.xmf or something starting with an x I think) and then run it though AME or Handbrake to get to MP4.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I like it

After effects is meant for lots of visual effects though, sony vegas doesnt have all of that stuff

but its still really good for editing videos I find, very easy to learn

I use it for all my videos in tandem with AE (just for intros/outros and such though), and I couldn't be much happier. Definitely better than FCP6 and 7 that I'm stuck using at school.

If you want to do 4K, you'll have to export it as some different file format (.xmf or something starting with an x I think) and then run it though AME or Handbrake to get to MP4.

How would you rank it then in terms of editing(variety of functions and features) ability and content creation, is it like -

1. AE

2. Vegas

3. Premiere

4. Movie Studio

...?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

How would you rank it then in terms of editing(variety of functions and features) ability and content creation, is it like -

1. AE

2. Vegas

3. Premiere

4. Movie Studio

...?

i think premier and sony vegas are pretty similar, just different personal preference

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1. AE

2. Vegas

3. Premiere

4. Movie Studio

...?

To me AE tends to be more of an effects thing, but Premiere is slightly better than Vegas, IMO. However, Vegas is REALLY easy to pick up and learn so it gets my vote.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

To me AE tends to be more of an effects thing, but Premiere is slightly better than Vegas, IMO. However, Vegas is REALLY easy to pick up and learn so it gets my vote.

Well, thinking how expensive those two are, I think I'll start small anyway. Then I could use the money I get to get some Adobe CS.

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to get Vegas Pro 13 on Steam probably next year when I upgrade to 16GB of RAM.

Anyway, you guys have a good idea on how well videos get rendered on Sony Vegas? 'Coz in AE it eats chunks out of the old computer I tested it on.

Also, does Vegas Pro support GPU rendering? in AE, if you had a CUDA GPU it renders much faster. I tested it out on my old GTX 660. So awesome.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

I'm not sure if Vegas supports my GPU to render with it (7950, too lazy to check), but even then, while I edit it uses it to make things a little snappier.

Export times on my G3258 @ 4.5GHz are almost EXACTLY double what they were on my Q6600.

EDIT: And it ran fine on 8GB of RAM. Granted, it whored a good amount of it up, but ya know. Runs a lot happier on 12GB though.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

AE is much superior no doubt, but nosy Vegas is the next best thing.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

4GB barely makes some good elbow room for AE for 720p.

I currently have 8 which I think would do fine for now. Anyway, gonna update this when I have it maybe. :)

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler