Is there a way to build a 'Durable' PC?

For say travelling? Would it all be about the case? How would you keep components from bending in harsh condition?

Just wandering, what would you do?

Very durable case, and military grade components. I'd also go with solid state drives since shaking around the case, and/or dropping it with hard drives could break them.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Mini-ITX or Micro ATX is the way to go since they are less prone to falling over and potentially causing damage.

I recommend Fractal's Node line of cases for something like that, or even the Bitfenix Prodigy line (they have a Mini-ITX and Micro ATX version) since they have handles which are perfect for traveling.

Mini-ITX or Micro ATX is the way to go since they are less prone to falling over and potentially causing damage.

I recommend Fractal's Node line of cases for something like that, or even the Bitfenix Prodigy line (they have a Mini-ITX and Micro ATX version) since they have handles which are perfect for traveling.

Prodigy line for the win.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Besides what people mentioned, a low profile or water CPU cooler is preferred in case the PC gets shaken while being transported.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Besides what people mentioned, a low profile or water CPU cooler is preferred in case the PC gets shaken while being transported.

Oh really? Why would you say that? Personally if I'm gonna be shoving it around while traveling I'd rather not have to worry about my computer springing a leak. Besides, how will watercooling be better if shaken than air cooling? The only reason i can imagine you might say that is because the shaking might mess up the fans, but you will need fans on the radiators anyway. Just seems like it adds more things that can go wrong, and still brings all the same vulnerability as air cooling would have.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

You might also want to go a bit above and beyond with the power supply in this build too. I don't know much about the durability of power supplies, but I can't imagine that shaking is good for their longterm health.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Oh really? Why would you say that? Personally if I'm gonna be shoving it around while traveling I'd rather not have to worry about my computer springing a leak. Besides, how will watercooling be better if shaken than air cooling? The only reason i can imagine you might say that is because the shaking might mess up the fans, but you will need fans on the radiators anyway. Just seems like it adds more things that can go wrong, and still brings all the same vulnerability as air cooling would have.

I think that he is talking about the fact that big air coolers like the 212 evo are quite heavy and protrude from the mobo quite a lot, providing extra lever to apply eventual force on the motherboard, if the pc is shaken. Liquid is better in this instance since the block is usually quite small not very heavy, and does not protrude from the mobo. Besides all in one watercooling is quite good and reliable these days.

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

This is what I'd generally do:

• MicroATX build
  • Solid state storage only
  • Have GPU bracket (so GPU is not hanging from PCIe slot)
  • No water cooling, air cooling only
  • Durable case

If it was a pc to be used in a dust heavy environment like in a woodworking shop then I'd seal all the cracks with putty (on the inside of the case to preserve aesthetics, a heavy duty pc can still look good  ;) ) and then filter all intakes and even exhausts to make sure no dust can sneak in even when the pc is off. Maybe an uninterruptable power supply if you're going to be running from a generator or other spotty power source.

The Lian-Li TU200 is the toughest travel case you can get, completely made of riveted aluminum with a built in carrying handle. Make sure you get a lightweight low profile CPU air cooler, and you can get one of silverstone's high end fanless PSU's. Also you'll need to use SSD's and GPU brackets. Also be aware of the GPU's build quality, some cheaper plastic cooling shrouds could possibly break. I would also recommend using a centrifugal blower type card, as they are most likely tougher (just a educated guess). 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Very durable case, and military grade components. I'd also go with solid state drives since shaking around the case, and/or dropping it with hard drives could break them.

Military grade is most of the time just advertising trick. Worksation/industrial grade stuff would be those to look for.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Military grade is most of the time just advertising trick. Worksation/industrial grade stuff would be those to look for.

Good to know. I thought it meant it was legit bought by the military. xD Not sure about workstation/server grade stuff though. I know those components are made to a higher standard than desktop components but I question whether or not that higher standard has anything to do with durability during travel. I mean yea they are made more durable in the sense that they can be run 24/7 without wearing out as fast, but that's not the kind of strain were talking about putting the components under. Why would a manufacturer of server components need to be producing stuff that can handle being bumped around in the back of a van any better than a desktop component would? I mean, its not like server hardware is going to get beaten up more than desktop counterparts would. In fact, most servers are treated with much more care than a desktop would be.

Hard drives are the obvious the exception to this, as I know the enterprise drives are made to handle more vibrations from large file servers(or in this case bumping around in the back of a van).

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

- -

We had thread about military thing while back. Military grade thing on mobos means that they use same capasitors that are used on military electronics. Not that whole mobo is made to be durable in harsh conditions.

Industrial and workstation hardware are good for durable things since those are made to have only things that really do matter. And those parts are made from best materials. Which can be seen in pricing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Solid construction.

Stick to mITX or mATX at the largest. ATX faces warping issues.

Do NOT use HDDs, only SSDs.

Avoid putting GPUs in the motherboard slot as usual. This puts a lot of pressure on the slot, the motherboard, and GPU. Use a cable from the slot to a GPU mounted securely somewhere else. This allows for the GPU and motherboard to shake and move without putting stress on each other.

Avoid using liquid coolers and large air coolers for your CPU. Loops and AIOs simply can't take the stress unless you overbuild the sh*t out of it. Large air coolers will put stress on your board UNLESS you properly secure it. I'd avoid this however and go for a low-profile cooler.

This is largely personal preference, but I'd get a modular PSU. If for some reason a cable has a lot of stress, it'll just snap out of the socket. All you'd have to do is put it back in place.

When it comes down to actually 'cooling' your system, that depends on how you want it to work. Do you want to open a brief case and your keyboard, monitor, etc. are ready for you? Do you just want it to be a heavy duty case with a system inside? Etc..

The best thing I can say is make sure you are building FOR stress. You will never make a chassis strong enough and light enough that won't warp, shake, etc.. Build it in a fashion that allows for everything to shake, move, etc. independently.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

In any case, the GPU should always be removed, especially if it's a dual slot card.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also, make sure the components are visually inspected upon arrival, before the system is powered on.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

In any case, the GPU should always be removed, especially if it's a dual slot card.

I may have tested the ruggedness of the PCIe mounting system... By flipping my case on its side and shaking the hell out of it :D Card was and still is fine :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

No optical drive

SSD only

GPU bracket*** or PCI-E riser extension***

AIO CPU water cooler or low profile small air cooler.

Strong metal ITX/ m-ATX case

Ether buy a good quality sturdy GPU bracket, fabricate one urself, or try get a case which has a built in system for adding extra support for the GPU.

if you go the PCI-e extension cable route, then u'll need to mount the GPU somewhere else within the case, best bet is to buy a case with this design in mind.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

No optical drive

SSD only

GPU bracket*** or PCI-E riser extension***

AIO CPU water cooler or low profile small air cooler.

Strong metal ITX/ m-ATX case

Ether buy a good quality sturdy GPU bracket, fabricate one urself, or try get a case which has a built in system for adding extra support for the GPU.

if you go the PCI-e extension cable route, then u'll need to mount the GPU somewhere else within the case, best bet is to buy a case with this design in mind.

nice, but why low profile cooler?

the weight? metal case then? lol

Lower profile cooler so the motherboard doesn't have the stress of a large tower cooler hanging of it.

The weight of the case doesn't affect the components inside, it being metal and of solid construction is for protection, but yes it would make it heavy.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Yes I agree :)