why the hate on quadcopters ?

givingtnt

im sorry, but why is everyone bashing on them quadcopters ? they are ''drones'' .. I mean. most rc aircraft or helicopters can hover and have a camera on board.. so whats the problem ? (and some of them can be flown by a computer too !)

I don't get whats the problem with the 4 rotors vs 1 of a helicopter.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

because quadcopters/drones are in the news almost all the time with mostly a negative connotation.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

because people are encouraged to buy them, despite having ZERO experience with flying RC crafts. the skill floor is super low, but the chance of catastrophy is super high.

the fact that these crafts wheigh like 8-30 pounds depending on the model should give you a hint... if you drop a 8 pound object from 20m to 1000m up in the air, whatever it hits WILL get damaged.... humans arent made of stone, and these things are heavy, travels fast, far and high up in the sky.... there is no limiters..

if consumer drones were hard limited to NEVER fly above 50m, and NEVER faster then say 10 miles an hour, they wouldnt be that terrifying... but the fact that you can fly this piece of plastic shit up in the skies where airplanes with hundreds of people onboard without anything stopping you... that is simply dangerous....

we're not allowed to point lasers in the sky because it can blind pilots... but fly a RC craft the size and wheight of a cat 1km or more up in the sky... that we can do just fine.

im sorry, but why is everyone bashing on them quadcopters ? they are ''drones'' .. I mean. most rc aircraft or helicopters can hover and have a camera on board.. so whats the problem ? (and some of them can be flown by a computer too !)

I don't get whats the problem with the 4 rotors vs 1 of a helicopter.

I don't think it is so much drones/quadcopters themselves, but their ubiquity, at least with RC aircraft a LOT of skill was required to fly them.  Nowadays with drones/quadcopters being so easy to fly everyone and their dog can just go out spend a couple of hundred and be up and running.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Yea i find the argument of quad copters being dangerous and should be banned stupid.

It's like the type of complaint that people who think they know everything from the overly propaganda-ed TV news.

They think that one day the drones will come kill them or what. 

Well i think there are more chances of a truck hitting them down the road than a drone splitting their eyeball half.

because people are encouraged to buy them, despite having ZERO experience with flying RC crafts. the skill floor is super low, but the chance of catastrophy is super high.

the fact that these crafts wheigh like 8-30 pounds depending on the model should give you a hint... if you drop a 8 pound object from 20m to 1000m up in the air, whatever it hits WILL get damaged.... humans arent made of stone, and these things are heavy, travels fast, far and high up in the sky.... there is no limiters..

if consumer drones were hard limited to NEVER fly above 50m, and NEVER faster then say 10 miles an hour, they wouldnt be that terrifying... but the fact that you can fly this piece of plastic shit up in the skies where airplanes with hundreds of people onboard without anything stopping you... that is simply dangerous....

we're not allowed to point lasers in the sky because it can blind pilots... but fly a RC craft the size and wheight of a cat 1km or more up in the sky... that we can do just fine.

You are not allowed to fly drones in certain designated areas because of that exact reason, aircrafts can be affected by the drones.

And same with gun laws and driving laws, i believe that ONLY the huge quadcopters should be licensed oriented.

Because it has 3 more blades than a standard RC helicopter,

How do you work that out?

"This too shall pass"

Hi givingtnt,

I opened up ALL THE SPOILERS in your signature, was disappointed...

Back to the topic: I think you are mixing up the terms "quad(ro)copter" and "drone" a bit.

As far as I know a quadcopter is simply a flying object that uses four rotors for propulsion and stuff.

And a drone is any flying object that is able to fly by itself without a human telling it how and where to fly.

But also many other people don't know th difference, so they might bash on quadcopters and mean drones, actually.

That's probably true.

So here in Germany we have some regulations for not only quads and drones but everything you could possibly get up in the air. You are not allowed to go higher than 100 meters and around airports flying is completely forbidden.

in the u.s. you can buy a gun just by showing up in the shop... soooooo... quadcopters are the least of their concerns at that point.

Most of these problems can be avoided by simple common sense on the operator's side, unfortunately a lot of people lack that. But then, driving cars isn't a problem, and that means 1 to 2 tons of metal speeding at 50-60km/h (assuming they stay at the speed limit or reasonably close) in an urban area. We get car accidents a lot more than quadcopter accidents (partly due to the number of course, but still, I don't recall ever hearing that anyone straight up died in a quadcopter related accident) but nobody is pushing to ban cars or regulate them any harder.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Because it has 3 more blades than a standard RC helicopter, meaning you are 4 times more likely to slice open a toddler's eyeball!

no. actually less, since they are way more stable (unless you know how to fly a heli.)

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Hi givingtnt,

I opened up ALL THE SPOILERS in your signature, was disappointed...

Back to the topic: I think you are mixing up the terms "quad(ro)copter" and "drone" a bit.

As far as I know a quadcopter is simply a flying object that uses four rotors for propulsion and stuff.

And a drone is any flying object that is able to fly by itself without a human telling it how and where to fly.

But also many other people don't know th difference, so they might bash on quadcopters and mean drones, actually.

yeah sorry its broken. here is what you should end up with in the end : 

https://endoftheinternet.com

I don't see any problem with UAVs/quadrocopters its the operator that's the problem, yes they are many responsible operators out there but unfortunately they are also a lot more irresponsible operators.

Years ago I owned a petrol driving RC helicopter that was crazy fast but I had to start small and work my skill level up I was even in a club with people who been flying RC for years giving advice to me. One of the rules was if anyone is acting the idiot with their heli and ignoring the safety guidelines you were giving a warning and at times told to leave, it was a very respected hobby.

The thing with UAVs/quadcopters is they can be got very cheaply and any tom dick or harry can start flying without knowing the safety guidelines. So yes I think regulations should be brought in all countries and if your caught doing stupid dangerous things you should be giving a very hefty fine.

Yes, but aeroplanes fly at an altitude between 25,000 and 40,000 feet. As long as drone flying is restricted near airports, they really aren't a threat to aeroplanes.

Most consumer drones are only capable of going up to several hundred feet.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yes, but aeroplanes fly at an altitude between 25,000 and 40,000 feet. As long as drone flying is restricted near airports, they really aren't a threat to aeroplanes.

how many people KNOW the size of the restriction zone?

like, not many.... even less if we limit this to "people who fly drones"...

How do you work that out?

no. actually less, since they are way more stable (unless you know how to fly a heli.)

It was a joke.

Anyway, most RC helicopters cost less than $50 and their average life is somewhere between 10 minute and hour. (or sometime after the plastic blades hit a tree)

Anyway, most RC helicopters cost less than $50

Yeah rite.

"This too shall pass"

It was a joke.

Anyway, most RC helicopters cost less than $50 and their average life is somewhere between 10 minute and hour. (or sometime after the plastic blades hit a tree)

I doubt this RC helicopter cost less than $50

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

what ?

an airplane is not allowed to go below 2000ft * of the highest object in a radius of 1 nautical mile (or maybe 2. I don'T remember)  drones can go as high, or higher.

*unless permitted otherwise (airshow / landing / takeoff)

I doubt this RC helicopter cost less than $50

That would have cost a lot.

Yeah rite.

You are both missing the key word "Most".

That would have cost a lot.

You are both missing the key word "Most".

No, your keyword "most" made it sound like majority of the RC helicopters cost no more than $50 bucks.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

No, your keyword "most" made it sound like majority of the RC helicopters cost no more than $50 bucks.

That is what it is supposed to say.

You go down to Kmart when you need a gift for a kid, you buy them a $20 helicopter and they have for less than an hour till it hits the tree.

Do you honestly think most RC toys are for enthusiasts? They can be for enthusiast, but they are mostly kid's toys! 

It is like:

PC's can be for AAA gaming, but most are used for web browsing.

Because it has 3 more blades than a standard RC helicopter, meaning you are 4 times more likely to slice open a toddler's eyeball!

NOT THE EYE BALL!!!!

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A