Asus VG248QE a good buy?

Tall Gora

Alright, so ive already read through alot of forums posts about IPS vs TN.

Im buying a new monitor soon and just want to know what my best choice would be. My budget would be about $350 maximum. Mainly FPS/MOBA gaming with some movies.

I know it seems that IPS have good enough response time and i personally have used both 2ms TN's and 5/6ms TN's and never noticed a difference if that matters.

some people claim the 120hz experience provides better fluidity in windows/games. Is this true? And would you need a gtx 780 to get a high enough framerate at 1080p to experience the higher than 60 fps needed to see the difference? Ive always used 60hz panels and just wondering if the hype over 120hz is worth it.

im thinking 24 inch is best since a "premium" 27 inch will most likely exceed 350 unless i get a 1080p which i have been told to stay away from.

Any input/suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Whether or not you can feel the 120 frames is different for everyone.

I have the monitor, and the color isn't the best (as expected)

Alright, so ive already read through alot of forums posts about IPS vs TN.

Im buying a new monitor soon and just want to know what my best choice would be. My budget would be about $350 maximum. Mainly FPS/MOBA gaming with some movies.

I know it seems that IPS have good enough response time and i personally have used both 2ms TN's and 5/6ms TN's and never noticed a difference if that matters.

some people claim the 120hz experience provides better fluidity in windows/games. Is this true? And would you need a gtx 780 to get a high enough framerate at 1080p to experience the higher than 60 fps needed to see the difference? Ive always used 60hz panels and just wondering if the hype over 120hz is worth it.

im thinking 24 inch is best since a "premium" 27 inch will most likely exceed 350 unless i get a 1080p which i have been told to stay away from.

Any input/suggestions are welcome, thanks!

27" 1080P monitors look super ugly IMO, I would go with a 24" BenQ XL2420T, or the VG248QE like you were wanting to go with.

prefer IPS because of the awesome colors. If you want to go IPS instead of TN, I have the Asus PA248Q, and I love it. It's awesome with a 5 or 6 ms response time.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Umm I will have to ask @nightlitezzz he is the monitor expert 

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I personally can feel the difference between 60hz and 120hz

I personally can't feel the difference between 5ms and 1ms

But overall, I feel 120 frames won't necessarily make you a better player or anything, and I would be happy with either 120hz or 60hz.

For me, it's a matter of getting used to it. For example, if I game on 60hz for a long time, I get used to it so it feels fluid. 

I would go for IPS

But this is mostly personal preference. 

Tall Gora, if you can go to a store and try it out, it will help you out so much. You will get to know the monitor, and see how it looks.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

I just know DON'T USE VGA

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

actually @GoodBytes is the monitor expert.

everyone who is talking about gtg response time that is a false standard as they don't specify which grey. Like the asus pb278q has a input lag of 16ms, the benQ xl2420t has an input lag of 13ms, monoprices zero-g has an input lag of 30ms. I have a dell u2713hm which has an input lag 22ms, but I don't notice it and I don't feel it being slow at all while playing games like CS and chivalry. Most tvs have input lag of 100ms or higher. 

I personally don't notice much of a difference on higher refresh rate so I would vote for an IPS screen like the PA248Q.

xl2411t? same panel but better colour settings, faster, and where I live at least it's cheaper too. Both brilliant monitors but from what I'v read the Asus has a slight articact problem around moving images.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I have watched all of his youtube reviews..He is the only one who did a good review on the Qnix.. :)

I have watched all of his youtube reviews..He is the only one who did a good review on the Qnix..

I only go to TFT Central, PRAD, and Menacing Tuba for monitor reviews LOL and some of the other ones he mentions.

The biggest difference between 60 and 120/144 hz is the cursor for me. It feels slightly smoother.

If you don't need the extra frames for competitive gaming or such, just get an IPS panel for the better viewing experience.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I got the VG248QE and as soon as I got in to windows I noticed how fluid moving things on the screen was. In games everything 80+ FPS is extremely more smooth than at 60 FPS. The easiest example for me to give is play at 30FPS for a whole day then the next day play at 60. You will should notice how much smoother everything is. If you don't normally get 100+ FPS you should listen to everyone else.

My only complaint is I can't run the monitor at 144Hz, I have to run it at 120Hz. For some reason when I'm using 144Hz my GTX 670 it's at about 50% load when at idle but at normal loads when in game. As soon at I switch over to 120Hz my 670 goes back to normal load at idle. I use 2 monitors and never tried it with only the VG248QE plugged in. I tried looking for help but haven't found any solution other then setting it to 120Hz.

If you want smoother gameplay I'd recommend the VG248QE. If you want colors the don't listen to anything I said and listen to everyone else. 

| Corsair C70 Gunmetal | MSI P67A-GD64 (B3) | 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B | EVGA GTX 770 SuperClocked 2GB |

| G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 1600 | Crucial BX100 500GB | 2x WD Black 1TB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair HX750 |

I got the VG248QE and as soon as I got in to windows I noticed how fluid moving things on the screen was. In games everything 80+ FPS is extremely more smooth than at 60 FPS. The easiest example for me to give is play at 30FPS for a whole day then the next day play at 60. You will should notice how much smoother everything is. If you don't normally get 100+ FPS you should listen to everyone else.

My only complaint is I can't run the monitor at 144Hz, I have to run it at 120Hz. For some reason when I'm using 144Hz my GTX 670 it's at about 50% load when at idle but at normal loads when in game. As soon at I switch over to 120Hz my 670 goes back to normal load at idle. I use 2 monitors and never tried it with only the VG248QE plugged in. I tried looking for help but haven't found any solution other then setting it to 120Hz.

If you want smoother gameplay I'd recommend the VG248QE. If you want colors the don't listen to anything I said and listen to everyone else. 

i actually saw that the newly updated benq with 144hz support recently came out, its getting very good reviews some people saying its a good step ahead of the VG248QE, i might jump for that one now, even though it just exceeds my budget. not that the older 120hz benq is bad at all, and theres good deals now....