3way SLI Folding Machine?

I would vote against the water cooler on a 24/7 rig.  The integrated pumps don't always see the lifespan that a separate pump gets.  

I'd look at a larger heat sink where the fan won't have to run as much or else something like a fanless heat sink and then just arrange it so a separate case mounted exhaust or top fan pulls air over it.  The AOI pumps are generally speaking configured to run at a constant rate, with some room to speed up if needed, so you're always chipping away at their remaining life.  Whereas fans can be turned off, running at lower speeds, etc.  

A nice full loop would also be a option if silence is important.  Adds price and the issue of loop maintenance, but the the stand alone pumps seem to have more life in them.  

Huh??? What bullshjt is that, fanless operation in a 24/7 100% usage OC cenario??? Wow.... just, wow.

About the pump failing, please look here. 6y warranty, it says right there. If the pump fails in that period of time, NZXT's got him covered (assuming he uses that particular cooler). I say the "risk" is VERY worth it, considering the lower temps, noise, better case airflow, ease to clean, visual looks and stability that comes with an AIO over air cooling.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Huh??? What bullshjt is that, fanless operation in a 24/7 100% usage OC cenario??? Wow.... just, wow.

About the pump failing, please look here. 6y warranty, it says right there. If the pump fails in that period of time, NZXT's got him covered (assuming he uses that particular cooler). I say the "risk" is VERY worth it, considering the lower temps, noise, better case airflow, ease to clean, visual looks and stability that comes with an AIO over air cooling.

I am planning on using NZXT. The warranty is very good as well as it being a 280mm rad. 3: As we all know, the bigger, the more cooling. .w. Kinda

Moist

I am planning on using NZXT. The warranty is very good as well as it being a 280mm rad. 3: As we all know, the bigger, the more cooling. .w. Kinda

Bigger = Better :3 (Most of the time) Make sure to get some extra fans if you want push pull.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

... and have higher power consumption. Seriously, a dedicated cruncher doesn't use the SSD much, it stays idle most of the time. No need for great data rates.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

@mikat You could run a dedicated folding machine off of a usb thumb drive if you wanted. 

What type of storage it uses is more or less irrelevant. 

for dedicated 24/7 rigs, little to no maintenance, as little downtime as possible and very likely 

little oversight, i would keep it simple and personally stay away from liquid cooling. Instead of

risking blowing up the loop or having leaks due to high pressure if the pump fails, possibly end 

up with extended downtime for replacement parts i'd just have a lump of metal with a fan on it.

The fan dies? maybe the rig shuts down.. maybe it keeps chugging along with throttling and 

high temp until you notice, either way. Slap on a new fan and you are golden. Not to mention

keeping expenses down on things that aren't strictly necessary. 

He would have to have a pretty big and expensive loop to cool all these gpus.. If the cpu's only

purpose is to feed the gpu's liquid cooling it really isn't worth it.

@mikat You could run a dedicated folding machine off of a usb thumb drive if you wanted. 

for dedicated 24/7 rigs, little to no maintenance, as little downtime as possible and very likely 

little oversight, i would keep it simple and personally stay away from liquid cooling. Instead of

risking blowing up the loop or having leaks due to high pressure if the pump fails, possibly end 

up with extended downtime for replacement parts i'd just have a lump of metal with a fan on it.

The fan dies? maybe the rig shuts down.. maybe it keeps chugging along with throttling and 

high temp until you notice, either way. Slap on a new fan and you are golden. Not to mention

He would have to have a pretty big and expensive loop to cool all these gpus.. If the cpu's only

The title is misleading. While it does only mention folding (in which case, the above is correct), OP actually wants to do Boinc as well.

So we have to account for CPU tasks that are as intensive as Prime95, and thus need good cooling. We also have to consider the possibility of him running 16x climateprediction WU's, which last time I checked, had upload files in the GB order of magnitude, hence the SSD (or a 60gb thumbdrive).

The title is misleading. While it does only mention folding (in which case, the above is correct), OP actually wants to do Boinc as well.

So we have to account for CPU tasks that are as intensive as Prime95, and thus need good cooling. We also have to consider the possibility of him running 16x climateprediction WU's, which last time I checked, had upload files in the GB order of magnitude, hence the SSD (or a 60gb thumbdrive).

There is still no need for a liquid cooler though, a decent tower cooler is plenty regardless of the load.

But depending on the overall rig case, cpu gpu's etc.. i guess there exists situations where a liquid

cooler might make sense depending on the form factor and airflow..

I haven't run climateprediction so i wouldn't know. But atleast on their website it says the upload isn't

all that huge. But the biggest projects can take up more than 1 GB during the processing, then it's

compressed a whole lot before the upload. Hopefully it doesn't use that much data :P, but it still

needs the available storage.

Just to clarify, i wouldn't advice running it off a thumb drive :P, just an example to say that storage

isn't all that important. 

3: I could always get the Noctua Tower. I just wanna help out the world in one of the few ways I know how ;w;

Moist

You could run them off usb thumb drives, but those are not meant to be on 24/7 

You could run them off usb thumb drives, but those are not meant to be on 24/7 

No they are not, but that doesn't mean it imposes a problem. Rather than just saying

"these aren't meant for x" think about why x would actually be a problem, i doubt the

stick would melt due to overheating, but the life span would be limited, flash memory

in thumb drives isn't the greatest. But data isn't being written the majority of the time

depending on what he is running. Not the ideal solution, but it is a viable one. If you

payed attention you would see that i already said i  wouldn't advice doing it. 

No they are not, but that doesn't mean it imposes a problem. Rather than just saying

"these aren't meant for x" think about why x would actually be a problem, i doubt the

stick would melt due to overheating, but the life span would be limited, flash memory

in thumb drives isn't the greatest. But data isn't being written the majority of the time

depending on what he is running. Not the ideal solution, but it is a viable one. If you

payed attention you would see that i already said i  wouldn't advice doing it. 

k then, but you could run a raid 1 array on 2 sticks, that would be cool :D

k then, but you could run a raid 1 array on 2 sticks, that would be cool :D

lol, i'm pretty sure it is indeed possible. The ultimate jerry-rigged solution. 

separating the cards would be more efficient.

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

3: Would it be..? But it would raise the budget by alooot..

I don't personally have experience with sandwiching gpu's, but i'm pretty sure you can get 3 gpu's in a case without

frying them.. Yes separating them would yield better temps, but i very much doubt it's worth the near twofold cost

increase, space allocation, power consumption.. you name it.

Alternatively, if at all necessary, you could try to use one pci-e riser to separate atleast 1 gpu and give them breathing

room.

Edited by tobben