Alternative to CX500?

aeroencychris

I've seen waaaay too much hate on CX power supplies to buy one at this point, but they seem so tempting. Are there any good PSUs ~500W that are semi/fully-modular, a good price, and are reliable? I just don't want my new PC to burn to flames, if you guys can understand that.

Honestly, I've never had any problems with CX power supplies. Maybe I'm just lucky, but they've always worked great for me.

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.4GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x41 | Motherboard: Asus z97-E | Case: Zalman Z11 Neo | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 2400MHz | Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 120GB Team Dark SSD |  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Honestly, I've never had any problems with CX power supplies. Maybe I'm just lucky, but they've always worked great for me.

Don't post this, annoying CX haters will come and bash on you

Truth is People need to research their parts beforehand

I used one in a friend's PC and it seems fine so far, but there's so much hate it's kind of crazy.

Don't post this, annoying CX haters will come and bash on you

I can already see this video coming...

I used one in a friend's PC and it seems fine so far, but there's so much hate it's kind of crazy.

It's because they have low heat tolerance which leads to an increased wire resistance that increases the temperature more, this is a problem if your system has an decent gpu as the power draw can easily start a fire, now will they all burn no (very few will), but no one here will recommend a part they think could burn down your house.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Can you narrow it down a bit?

Look at Seasonic and Antec. I have good experience with both. I have the High Current Gamer by Antec (60 bucks, modular and 520W),  Many a customer build (I own a PC company) have used Seasonic, recently used there inexpensive 500W quiet as heck. 

That's $20 more than the CX, is there anything cheaper?

don't cheap out on the psu to much

look at seasonic

xfx

some evga

some antec

rosewill capstones are good to...but are expensive

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

That's $20 more than the CX, is there anything cheaper?

don't cheap out on the psu to much

look at seasonic

xfx

some evga

some antec

rosewill capstones are good to...but are expensive

techguru is right, that Seasonic power supply isn't that expensive and it's a good product with a good name behind it.  If you really want to save 10 dollars there's a non-modular version (which I personally like non-modular more for.. reasons.. I guess), but do your thing.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Well if you are on a budget for a PSU you might have to sacrifice the modularity (which is a somewhat premium feature no?) so as you could maybe even afford a decent unit. for cheapest i would recommend the Seasonic S12ii seeing as it's as solid as solid comes. 

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Directly answering the title - a furnace

To answer your question - get a good non-modular PSU with the wattage you need - chances are you will only have 1 or 2 extra cables and those can be stored within the case with ease - hell - I have 10 extra cables and I'm fine ._.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6