How bad was your first PC?

abt

TRS80 Pocket Computer Model: PC-2 + printer interface

trs80pc1.jpg

I believe Tandy was the OEM and Radio Shack rebranded it.  I was the envy of others due to the printer expansion:

trs80pc1-expansion.jpg

Many were destroyed and died unloved deaths, bearing the nickname Trash 80, but now everyone who visits my office admires it.  Turns out time can make vintage diamonds out of shitty coal.  

To load software you bought a book, typed in the program via that shitty little keyboard, using the tiny little screen.  Then it didn't run because you made a typo and you became angry, yelled at it for awhile, and then just assigned the task to a grad student.  Sadly for me I often was that grad student.  

One for the archives. Everyone pay attention to this history class!

That's awesome.

Ur lookin at it       v

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

My dad built me a PC with a Pentium Extreme some time back with a GTX 7800 xD damn remember those Prescotts?

I was quite surprised it could even run the games I played back then lol.

Mostly Runescape from 2005-2009, did some rendering with it in 2008, even tried playing Minecraft in 2010 which it almost didn't run lol.

eMachines laptop with

Celeron

2GB DDR2

320GB Hard Drive

Let me play Minecraft, that's all I cared about. Got a new laptop two years later, the thing started going hayyyyyyyyyywire and back then there wasn't really anyone I knew that would fix it.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

It was an HP laptop with a dual core AMD Athlon CPU, an integrated ATI Radeon HD 4250 GPU, 3GB of RAM, and a 320GB HDD.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

First computer was an IBM PC XT running PC DOS 2. Was black & yellow though not black & green like the one in this picture:

5bVF2PD.jpg

First computer was an IBM PC XT. Was black & yellow though not black & green like the one in this picture:

-snip-

The thing is that at the time, that PC wasn't bad at all, it was top of the line, since we only had 1 processor to choose from. :P

I had the same, except mine didn't had a case, I had it prop on top of a shoe box. 

I think I still have a few of those around here somewhere.

I loved the HDD spin up sound back then.  :lol:

Mystery is the source of all true science.

IBM Aptiva with Pentium 133 with 16mb RAM 1.2gb hard drive and 4x cd-rom drive. 15" CRT with max res of 1280x1024 at 256 colors.

But I don't think it was bad, it was 1996, that was a real nice computer at the time.

First one I used was bad. Pentium 3 up to 2006

The first one I owned is even worse. It doesn't exist.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Mine was an Acer AcerPower 2100.

LPX form factor

Pentium II Slot 1 400MHz

64MB RAM

Onboard graphics

7GB HDD

Windows ME

It's so old that I can't even find a freakin' image of it online lol

I don't remember how bad my first computer was. I do know that as the youngest person in my family, I always got the oldest computer, and that my dad didn't really upgrade that often. My first computer probably ran Windows 95 or 98, and I think it may have been a Dell.

The first computer that was actually mine (as in, not a hand-me-down) was a Cyberpower. It started with some Radeon card, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and used an AMD Athlon X2 240. We upgraded it to 4GB RAM and ended up having to put a GTX 460 in it (which was supposed to be my sister's after a surge killed her GPU (our dad figured we were too young to really need surge protection/a UPS), but the 460 wouldn't fit in her case).

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Mine was a 486 dx4 100mhz. It didn't suck, was fkn awesome actually :D Brings back good memories.

Not a particular brand, built from parts, only the chip mattered in those days anyway :) Until 3dfx came out. Had S3 trio and got the 3dfx voodoo 1 accelerator when it came out. You needed a separate 2d graphics card as it only did 3d :D Fun days

Asus A8J Core 2 Duo T7200 @ 2.0GHz, 2GB DDR2 and an ATi Mobility Radeon X1700 with a whopping 512MB dedicated memory. Fun fact: Still alive and kicking today :D

EDIT: Nevermind, it's an nVidia Go 7700 512MB Discrete card

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

AMD K6-2 200 MHz system I built in 1997. I forget what GPU I put in it, but it played all the games of the era really well. It was awesome.

pentium laptop that was 6 years older than my own age... ( i was 15)

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

err. i mean it was 6 years old when i got it when i was 15... if that makes any sense

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

Think it was some Compaq computer with a AMD K6 cpu. :P Running good old Windows 95... It's been sitting in my (parents) garage for ages... Kind of tempted to see if it works... Then also have a dell dimension with a P4 at like 2.8GHz sitting somewhere in my house that still works...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Hewlett Packard Pavilion 533 MHz

Godawful integrated graphics used to play EverQuest 1, Tribes 1 & 2 with

No idea on RAM amount, I'll guess 256 MB

40GB Hard Drive

56k dialup

19'' CRT 

Good times.

It had a Phenom II x4 840 with a 560 Ti.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

AMD K6-2 200 MHz system I built in 1997. I forget what GPU I put in it, but it played all the games of the era really well. It was awesome.

What frame rate and what resolution?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Mine is actually my current one. Not bad for being saved up for by a 15 year old (17 now)

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Mine wasn't personal one, but it was actually (for the time) pretty great, but by today's standards it's totally laughable.

200 MHz Pentium

Voodoo graphics card (don't remember which one specifically, I was like 5)

Can't remember how much RAM.  I could swear it was like 128 MB but that sounds too good... it had been upgraded a lot though, so maybe I'm right

3 HDDs - a 1 GB, a 2 GB, and a massive 8 GB :)  All of which still work, if you can find something that connects to IDE

Windows 98, when it was like brand new

Our motherboard must have been really fancy because - well, you know how now with the UEFI BIOS you can use your mouse?  It had that way back then!  The cursor was a little computer mouse icon with a cord for a tail that wagged :P

My first personal rig was pretty nice too

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (I later OC to 2.7 GHz from 2 on stock cooling so that was a great chip)

1 GB RAM (later upgraded to 2)

300 GB HDD (I later added the 8 GB one from the build above for hackintosh experiments, since those were the days when it had to be on the first partition of the primary master drive :))

XP SP3

nvidia 7600 GT (later upgraded to 9800 GT)

nForce 4 motherboard

1280x1024 19" LCD display

those were the days... 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Was a Gateway tower from like 2002. Had a flat panel though!

Had a Pentium 4, 1GB of Ram and TERRIBLE onboard graphics. Could play minecraft a few years ago... :P

Then I had an iMAC

Then I got a 2500k/GTX 660 machine. Better much.